The Wisdom of Islam

Since the person who started this rubbish thread made the following comments also, let me make my final comments on this thread: “Well, for example, more conservative dress for women, more control over explicit sexual content, more discipline for our children, less commercialization on the media, more control over overtly sexual concerts, etc. A ban on excessively violent video games, etc. More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition." If I see any worthy comment in response to my comments, I will start a new thread to respond. ‘more conservative dress for women’ My Comment: Not worth discussing in a congress of intelligent human beings. ‘more control over explicit sexual content’, ‘more discipline for our children’, ‘less commercialization on the media’, ‘more control over overtly sexual concerts’ My Comment: Worth discussing. ‘A ban on excessively violent video games’ My Comment: Should be seriously discussed. ‘More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition.’ My Comments: Leave the civilized world, and go to an Islamic jungle. The world should cut down all religions and progressively get rid of all religious teachings/traditions. Education should foster free thinking and inquiry.
Good ideas. See if you can get the ball rolling with Congress and the general population. There is apparently much discussion going on among the population on these topics already. Let us know if you have any success. I'm wondering why you don't think modest dress in public isn't worth discussing. I'm not suggesting that women wear the full Burqa or even any kind of veil but don't you think that women flaunting themselves in public is in bad taste and just doing themselves down by presenting themselves as sex-objects? But then, many women seem to want to do as they please without the concomitant of taking any responsibility in our liberalized western milieu. Just like men do as they please, including expecting women to dress as some of them, such as you, decide. You have a perfect right to discuss what modest dress in public is. Nobody will stop you. What "flaunting themselves in public" means is not defined or agreed upon by the general public. Whether it's in bad taste is also a matter of opinion. Whether women are presenting themselves as sex objects is also not agreed upon. What you see as "flaunting themselves in public" or "presenting themselves as sex objects" is not how a lot of other people see it. All humans want to do as they please, including you, incidentally--but you want the rest of the world to do as YOU dictate. What "taking responsibility" is and whether we live in a "liberalized westerm milieu," whatever that's supposed to mean, is also a matter of opinion. You have apparently decided what YOU think proper dress for women is, what resenting oneself as a sex object amounts to, and what taking responsibility in a "liberalized western milieu" is, and you want to impose your standards on everyone else, even those who disagree with you. Other people have their own standards. Why should yours be accepted as the right thing to do? What gives you or anyone the right to set standards for anyone else in a democracy? Lois Women think they are free to choose how they look but many women and girls are daily exposed to images found in magazines, movies, posters, etc. that portray women as sex objects and the 'normal' way to look. The trouble with many women is that they want to dress in a way that appeals to their vanity but are in denial about how they look to other people, especially some men, who are titillated by the panoply of fashion and cosmetic products designed to stir up sexual excitement. But you would deny this of course because it does not suit your way of life and would probably argue it is men's problem, not women's, which just goes to show how much you and many other women are in denial. If you were born a Muslim woman you would probably not dress in the way you do and don't tell me Muslim women are oppressed because many prefer to dress the way they do based on their belief-system.
Since the person who started this rubbish thread made the following comments also, let me make my final comments on this thread: “Well, for example, more conservative dress for women, more control over explicit sexual content, more discipline for our children, less commercialization on the media, more control over overtly sexual concerts, etc. A ban on excessively violent video games, etc. More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition." If I see any worthy comment in response to my comments, I will start a new thread to respond. ‘more conservative dress for women’ My Comment: Not worth discussing in a congress of intelligent human beings. ‘more control over explicit sexual content’, ‘more discipline for our children’, ‘less commercialization on the media’, ‘more control over overtly sexual concerts’ My Comment: Worth discussing. ‘A ban on excessively violent video games’ My Comment: Should be seriously discussed. ‘More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition.’ My Comments: Leave the civilized world, and go to an Islamic jungle. The world should cut down all religions and progressively get rid of all religious teachings/traditions. Education should foster free thinking and inquiry.
Good ideas. See if you can get the ball rolling with Congress and the general population. There is apparently much discussion going on among the population on these topics already. Let us know if you have any success. I'm wondering why you don't think modest dress in public isn't worth discussing. I'm not suggesting that women wear the full Burqa or even any kind of veil but don't you think that women flaunting themselves in public is in bad taste and just doing themselves down by presenting themselves as sex-objects? But then, many women seem to want to do as they please without the concomitant of taking any responsibility in our liberalized western milieu.I don't know how it is where you live, but most women do dress modestly in America. Well, it's all relative. :-)

Well, it’s all relative. :slight_smile:

I don't know how it is where you live, but most women do dress modestly in America.
Oh yeah we need more religion Like we need more holes in our heads.
Good ideas. See if you can get the ball rolling with Congress and the general population. There is apparently much discussion going on among the population on these topics already. Let us know if you have any success. I'm wondering why you don't think modest dress in public isn't worth discussing. I'm not suggesting that women wear the full Burqa or even any kind of veil but don't you think that women flaunting themselves in public is in bad taste and just doing themselves down by presenting themselves as sex-objects? But then, many women seem to want to do as they please without the concomitant of taking any responsibility in our liberalized western milieu. Just like men do as they please, including expecting women to dress as some of them, such as you, decide. You have a perfect right to discuss what modest dress in public is. Nobody will stop you. What "flaunting themselves in public" means is not defined or agreed upon by the general public. Whether it's in bad taste is also a matter of opinion. Whether women are presenting themselves as sex objects is also not agreed upon. What you see as "flaunting themselves in public" or "presenting themselves as sex objects" is not how a lot of other people see it. All humans want to do as they please, including you, incidentally--but you want the rest of the world to do as YOU dictate. What "taking responsibility" is and whether we live in a "liberalized westerm milieu," whatever that's supposed to mean, is also a matter of opinion. You have apparently decided what YOU think proper dress for women is, what resenting oneself as a sex object amounts to, and what taking responsibility in a "liberalized western milieu" is, and you want to impose your standards on everyone else, even those who disagree with you. Other people have their own standards. Why should yours be accepted as the right thing to do? What gives you or anyone the right to set standards for anyone else in a democracy? Lois Women think they are free to choose how they look but many women and girls are daily exposed to images found in magazines, movies, posters, etc. that portray women as sex objects and the 'normal' way to look. The trouble with many women is that they want to dress in a way that appeals to their vanity but are in denial about how they look to other people, especially some men, who are titillated by the panoply of fashion and cosmetic products designed to stir up sexual excitement. But you would deny this of course because it does not suit your way of life and would probably argue it is men's problem, not women's, which just goes to show how much you and many other women are in denial. If you were born a Muslim woman you would probably not dress in the way you do and don't tell me Muslim women are oppressed because many prefer to dress the way they do based on their belief-system. "Prefer"?
Good ideas. See if you can get the ball rolling with Congress and the general population. There is apparently much discussion going on among the population on these topics already. Let us know if you have any success. I'm wondering why you don't think modest dress in public isn't worth discussing. I'm not suggesting that women wear the full Burqa or even any kind of veil but don't you think that women flaunting themselves in public is in bad taste and just doing themselves down by presenting themselves as sex-objects? But then, many women seem to want to do as they please without the concomitant of taking any responsibility in our liberalized western milieu.I don't know how it is where you live, but most women do dress modestly in America. You're right. It's only a very small percentage of women who dress in particularly revealing clothes.
Well, it's all relative. :-)
I don't know how it is where you live, but most women do dress modestly in America.
Oh yeah we need more religion Like we need more holes in our heads.
What have the 1930's got to do with this?
Good ideas. See if you can get the ball rolling with Congress and the general population. There is apparently much discussion going on among the population on these topics already. Let us know if you have any success. I'm wondering why you don't think modest dress in public isn't worth discussing. I'm not suggesting that women wear the full Burqa or even any kind of veil but don't you think that women flaunting themselves in public is in bad taste and just doing themselves down by presenting themselves as sex-objects? But then, many women seem to want to do as they please without the concomitant of taking any responsibility in our liberalized western milieu. Just like men do as they please, including expecting women to dress as some of them, such as you, decide. You have a perfect right to discuss what modest dress in public is. Nobody will stop you. What "flaunting themselves in public" means is not defined or agreed upon by the general public. Whether it's in bad taste is also a matter of opinion. Whether women are presenting themselves as sex objects is also not agreed upon. What you see as "flaunting themselves in public" or "presenting themselves as sex objects" is not how a lot of other people see it. All humans want to do as they please, including you, incidentally--but you want the rest of the world to do as YOU dictate. What "taking responsibility" is and whether we live in a "liberalized westerm milieu," whatever that's supposed to mean, is also a matter of opinion. You have apparently decided what YOU think proper dress for women is, what resenting oneself as a sex object amounts to, and what taking responsibility in a "liberalized western milieu" is, and you want to impose your standards on everyone else, even those who disagree with you. Other people have their own standards. Why should yours be accepted as the right thing to do? What gives you or anyone the right to set standards for anyone else in a democracy? Lois Women think they are free to choose how they look but many women and girls are daily exposed to images found in magazines, movies, posters, etc. that portray women as sex objects and the 'normal' way to look. The trouble with many women is that they want to dress in a way that appeals to their vanity but are in denial about how they look to other people, especially some men, who are titillated by the panoply of fashion and cosmetic products designed to stir up sexual excitement. But you would deny this of course because it does not suit your way of life and would probably argue it is men's problem, not women's, which just goes to show how much you and many other women are in denial. If you were born a Muslim woman you would probably not dress in the way you do and don't tell me Muslim women are oppressed because many prefer to dress the way they do based on their belief-system. "Prefer"? Yep, they embrace the wisdom of Islam.
Good ideas. See if you can get the ball rolling with Congress and the general population. There is apparently much discussion going on among the population on these topics already. Let us know if you have any success. I'm wondering why you don't think modest dress in public isn't worth discussing. I'm not suggesting that women wear the full Burqa or even any kind of veil but don't you think that women flaunting themselves in public is in bad taste and just doing themselves down by presenting themselves as sex-objects? But then, many women seem to want to do as they please without the concomitant of taking any responsibility in our liberalized western milieu.I don't know how it is where you live, but most women do dress modestly in America. You're right. It's only a very small percentage of women who dress in particularly revealing clothes. How much do you want them to reveal?
No, I wouldn't go that far. We have our own ways of handling social decay. Sharia is 100% incompatible with western society.
And Incompatible with common sense.

There was a time when Christianity was as extreme as Islam and quite a few Christians would like it to be like that again. We have enough problems in the West with Christianity without importing any part of Islam. There is no more wisdom in Islam than there is in Christianity. Both are deeply flawed philosophies that have ruined lives. People are capable of creating sensible societies without religion. Religion ruins societies.

People are capable of creating sensible societies without religion. Religion ruins societies.
Wrong. Here in the UK we are officially a Christian country, yet have accepted minority religions co-existing alongside the main one. You are making sweeping statements based on lack of evidence. Also, would you call Russia a shining example of a secular country?? Russia is a kleptocracy. Do you prefer that?
People are capable of creating sensible societies without religion. Religion ruins societies.
Wrong. Here in the UK we are officially a Christian country, yet have accepted minority religions co-existing alongside the main one. You are making sweeping statements based on lack of evidence. Also, would you call Russia a shining example of a secular country?? Russia is a kleptocracy. Do you prefer that? Really?? How would the U.K. Be different if there was no Christianity?????
Wrong. Here in the UK we are officially a Christian country, yet have accepted minority religions co-existing alongside the main one. You are making sweeping statements based on lack of evidence. Also, would you call Russia a shining example of a secular country?? Russia is a kleptocracy. Do you prefer that? Really?? How would the U.K. Be different if there was no Christianity????? Well, in my opinion, I think being a Christian country balks against extremist parties from arising. We have an opposition party here in the UK which is very leftist, almost Marxist some would say, but only as a balance against extreme right-wing regimes, which probably arises out of a strongly liberal streak, dating back to at least after WW2. I think a lot of liberalism is based on Christian values, even if not all liberal people believe in God. Our Queen is the head of state and as such represents the official religion, which is Christian and I think this wields great influence sine the Queen and royal family are still very much respected and held in awe. We provide generous amounts of foreign aid and provide sanctuary for many people who are in danger of their lives in their own country. Of there's The National Health Service, which is free at point of use and we have free education etc. So this all stems from a basic Christian approach, at least from Christian values, and if this country decided to become a state without an official religion I don't think things would change that much because holding Christian values does not mean you have to attend church or pray to God but in the way you treat your highest and lowest citizens.
Wrong. Here in the UK we are officially a Christian country, yet have accepted minority religions co-existing alongside the main one. You are making sweeping statements based on lack of evidence. Also, would you call Russia a shining example of a secular country?? Russia is a kleptocracy. Do you prefer that? Really?? How would the U.K. Be different if there was no Christianity????? Well, in my opinion, I think being a Christian country balks against extremist parties from arising. We have an opposition party here in the UK which is very leftist, almost Marxist some would say, but only as a balance against extreme right-wing regimes, which probably arises out of a strongly liberal streak, dating back to at least after WW2. I think a lot of liberalism is based on Christian values, even if not all liberal people believe in God. Our Queen is the head of state and as such represents the official religion, which is Christian and I think this wields great influence sine the Queen and royal family are still very much respected and held in awe. We provide generous amounts of foreign aid and provide sanctuary for many people who are in danger of their lives in their own country. Of there's The National Health Service, which is free at point of use and we have free education etc. So this all stems from a basic Christian approach, at least from Christian values, and if this country decided to become a state without an official religion I don't think things would change that much because holding Christian values does not mean you have to attend church or pray to God but in the way you treat your highest and lowest citizens. Can clarify what you mean by how you treat your highest and lowest citizens?
Can clarify what you mean by how you treat your highest and lowest citizens?
How's about treating the lowest, seeing and treating "them" as fellow humans who have fallen on hard times, for anyone or more of a myriad of reasons. vs. Seeing "them" as leeches to society to be discarded and ignored. "Them" There but for the grace of providence go I. :kiss:
How's about treating the lowest, seeing and treating "them" as fellow humans who have fallen on hard times, for anyone or more of a myriad of reasons. vs. Seeing "them" as leeches to society to be discarded and ignored. "Them" There but for the grace of providence go I. :kiss: First thing - what is meant by "the lowest"??
Wrong. Here in the UK we are officially a Christian country, yet have accepted minority religions co-existing alongside the main one. You are making sweeping statements based on lack of evidence. Also, would you call Russia a shining example of a secular country?? Russia is a kleptocracy. Do you prefer that? Really?? How would the U.K. Be different if there was no Christianity????? Well, in my opinion, I think being a Christian country balks against extremist parties from arising. We have an opposition party here in the UK which is very leftist, almost Marxist some would say, but only as a balance against extreme right-wing regimes, which probably arises out of a strongly liberal streak, dating back to at least after WW2. I think a lot of liberalism is based on Christian values, even if not all liberal people believe in God. Our Queen is the head of state and as such represents the official religion, which is Christian and I think this wields great influence sine the Queen and royal family are still very much respected and held in awe. We provide generous amounts of foreign aid and provide sanctuary for many people who are in danger of their lives in their own country. Of there's The National Health Service, which is free at point of use and we have free education etc. So this all stems from a basic Christian approach, at least from Christian values, and if this country decided to become a state without an official religion I don't think things would change that much because holding Christian values does not mean you have to attend church or pray to God but in the way you treat your highest and lowest citizens. Can clarify what you mean by how you treat your highest and lowest citizens? I mean we assist anyone who has come on hard times with social benefits and health care, regardless of ability to pay and do not oppress anyone who is poor.
How's about treating the lowest, seeing and treating "them" as fellow humans who have fallen on hard times, for anyone or more of a myriad of reasons. vs. Seeing "them" as leeches to society to be discarded and ignored. "Them" There but for the grace of providence go I. :kiss: Exactly.
How's about treating the lowest, seeing and treating "them" as fellow humans who have fallen on hard times, for anyone or more of a myriad of reasons. vs. Seeing "them" as leeches to society to be discarded and ignored. "Them" There but for the grace of providence go I. :kiss: Exactly. Doesn't this contradict your right wing ideology??
How's about treating the lowest, seeing and treating "them" as fellow humans who have fallen on hard times, for anyone or more of a myriad of reasons. vs. Seeing "them" as leeches to society to be discarded and ignored. "Them" There but for the grace of providence go I. :kiss: Exactly. Doesn't this contradict your right wing ideology?? Your're calling me right-wing yet I feel I'm standing up for good versus evil. Labels can be so divisive.