The Sanctity of Marriage

I wonder why the church stresses “no sex before marriage” and “the sanctity of marriage” so much when Jesus says there is no marriage in heaven? After all, Matthew writes:
“25“Now there were seven brothers with us; and the first married and died, and having no children left his wife to his brother; 26so also the second, and the third, down to the seventh. 27“Last of all, the woman died. 28“In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife of the seven will she be? For they all had married her.” 29But Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30“For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven (Matthew 22:25-30)."

I wonder why the church stresses "no sex before marriage" and "the sanctity of marriage" so much when Jesus says there is no marriage in heaven?
I couldn't care less about archaic and silly Bible laws (other than why they are applied now and how to open the eyes of those who want them applied.) But the fact that the sex part of the passage makes you wonder, and not the fact that women were passed as possessions from brother to brother, makes me wonder. [This is completely unrelated to the OP, but I can't see or hear the words "I wonder" without thinking of the Feynman poem - I wonder why. I wonder why. I wonder why I wonder. I wonder why I wonder why I wonder why I wonder! Sorry for the digression, but it happens every stinking time!

Another one? I wonder if you wouldn’t be happier over here?]

Another one? I wonder if you wouldn't be happier over here?]
So Center for Inquiry has a section for Religion and Secularism, but you don't like people posting about religion. I'm glad you're not a moderator here or the section would be empty. lmao
So Center for Inquiry has a section for Religion and Secularism, but you don't like people posting about religion. I'm glad you're not a moderator here or the section would be empty. lmao The difference between you and me is that you are basically arguing about the quality of the fabric of the Emperor's new clothes, whereas I am pointing out his nakedness. We can't discuss Bible stories when to you they're real history and to me they're literally fairy-tales. Obviously questions about the Bible are allowed. But they have to be honest inquiries into the veracity and history and value of the Bible. Questions that assume the Bible is true will be treated as the attempts at preaching they truly are. In all honesty, if you really do want to discuss those Bible passages that make you wonder, the link supplied is an infinitely better place to go than here.
So Center for Inquiry has a section for Religion and Secularism, but you don't like people posting about religion. I'm glad you're not a moderator here or the section would be empty. lmao The difference between you and me is that you are basically arguing about the quality of the fabric of the Emperor's new clothes, whereas I am pointing out his nakedness. We can't discuss Bible stories when to you they're real history and to me they're literally fairy-tales. Obviously questions about the Bible are allowed. But they have to be honest inquiries into the veracity and history and value of the Bible. Questions that assume the Bible is true will be treated as the attempts at preaching they truly are. In all honesty, if you really do want to discuss those Bible passages that make you wonder, the link supplied is an infinitely better place to go than here. Historians of antiquity apply criteria to determine which parts of the bible probably reflect history and which do not. I am agnostic and don't believe in any of the miracle claims made in the bible. As Richard Carrier has pointed out, there are miracle claims in the historical writings of Herodotus that we don't believe, so why would we believe in the miracle claims made about Jesus?
So Center for Inquiry has a section for Religion and Secularism, but you don't like people posting about religion. I'm glad you're not a moderator here or the section would be empty. lmao The difference between you and me is that you are basically arguing about the quality of the fabric of the Emperor's new clothes, whereas I am pointing out his nakedness. We can't discuss Bible stories when to you they're real history and to me they're literally fairy-tales. Obviously questions about the Bible are allowed. But they have to be honest inquiries into the veracity and history and value of the Bible. Questions that assume the Bible is true will be treated as the attempts at preaching they truly are. In all honesty, if you really do want to discuss those Bible passages that make you wonder, the link supplied is an infinitely better place to go than here. Historians of antiquity apply criteria to determine which parts of the bible probably reflect history and which do not. I am agnostic and don't believe in any of the miracle claims made in the bible. As Richard Carrier has pointed out, there are miracle claims in the historical writings of Herodotus that we don't believe, so why would we believe in the miracle claims made about Jesus? The best response I can give to your original question of "why the church stresses “no sex before marriage" and “the sanctity of marriage"", is... The Bible has many views on many topics and Christians have, for various reasons, picked certain ones. That's the best I can do. You're wondering why irrational people believe certain irrational things over other irrational things. Engaging in apologetics and theology isn't exactly the point of this place, but if you're still determined to get some answers you'll need to go to the horses mouth, which is where the link Lausten offered will take you.

I’m not a mod, but I am opinionated. Sometimes my opinion is “I don’t care”

I wonder why the church stresses "no sex before marriage" and "the sanctity of marriage" so much when Jesus says there is no marriage in heaven? After all, Matthew writes: "25“Now there were seven brothers with us; and the first married and died, and having no children left his wife to his brother; 26so also the second, and the third, down to the seventh. 27“Last of all, the woman died. 28“In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife of the seven will she be? For they all had married her." 29But Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30“For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven (Matthew 22:25-30)."
And we all know angels don't have sex!
I wonder why the church stresses "no sex before marriage" and "the sanctity of marriage" so much when Jesus says there is no marriage in heaven?
I couldn't care less about archaic and silly Bible laws (other than why they are applied now and how to open the eyes of those who want them applied.) But the fact that the sex part of the passage makes you wonder, and not the fact that women were passed as possessions from brother to brother, makes me wonder. [This is completely unrelated to the OP, but I can't see or hear the words "I wonder" without thinking of the Feynman poem - I wonder why. I wonder why. I wonder why I wonder. I wonder why I wonder why I wonder why I wonder! Sorry for the digression, but it happens every stinking time! Yes.passing wives from brother to brother is part of the Christian sanctity of marriage, I guess.
Yes. Passing wives from brother to brother is part of the Christian sanctity of marriage, I guess.
I hear it gets spicier than that.
http://www.worldfuturefund.org/Reports/Religionsex/religionsex.html The view of sex in the Bible is not a traditional value. For thousands of years before Christianity, sexuality was celebrated as a natural life force. Gay people were free to be themselves. Women played major roles in religion as goddesses. In particular, female sexuality was celebrated by powerful goddesses of fertility like Venus and Aphrodite. In 395 AD a once obscure religious cult seized power in the Roman Empire, and everything changed. The greatest wave of religious mass murder and persecution in history was unleashed on the world. Until just the last hundred years their laws mandated the mass murder of all gays, the persecution of all other religions and the creation of a patriarchy where women were stripped of their rights and mandated by law to serve men and the church. We are not saying today that all Christians are bad. No. However, the legacy of the very malevolent aspects of the Bible remain. In Africa, today, for example, gays are not only persecuted by the state but even subject to death in some nations dominated by Christianity. What follows is a brief overview of problems in the Bible and some very grim results of those ideas, particularly in terms of human health. TROUBLING QUOTES FROM THE BIBLE … :ahhh:
Hmmm, lookie what I found - http://www.bu.edu/today/2011/the-bible’s-contradictions-about-sex/ But everybody knows the Bible is against abortion and gay marriage and premarital sex. Is everybody really wrong? Yes. The Bible does not comment on abortion and gay marriage. Some Biblical writers argue against premarital or extramarital sex, especially for women, but other Biblical writers present premarital sex as a source of God’s blessing. Really? Where does the Bible give a green light to premarital sex? Perhaps the most striking example is in the story of Ruth, though there are other examples as well. According to the Book of Ruth, when the recently widowed Ruth and her mother-in-law Naomi were faced with a famine in Ruth’s homeland Moab, they returned to Israel impoverished and with little hope of survival. Ruth took to gleaning in the fields to find food for herself and Naomi. The owner of the fields, a relative of Naomi named Boaz, saw Ruth and was pleased by her. When Naomi heard about it, she encouraged Ruth to adorn herself and approach Boaz at night while he was sleeping to see what would happen. Ruth took this advice, resting with him until morning after first “uncovering his feet" (in Hebrew, “feet" can be a euphemism for male genitals). The next day, Boaz goes to town to find out whether he can marry her, and, luckily, another man with a claim to Ruth agrees to release her. They do marry and together they produce Obed, the grandfather of King David. None of this would have been possible if Ruth had not set out to seduce Boaz in a field, without the benefit of marriage.
I wonder why the church stresses "no sex before marriage" and "the sanctity of marriage" so much when Jesus says there is no marriage in heaven? After all, Matthew writes: "25“Now there were seven brothers with us; and the first married and died, and having no children left his wife to his brother; 26so also the second, and the third, down to the seventh. 27“Last of all, the woman died. 28“In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife of the seven will she be? For they all had married her." 29But Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30“For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven (Matthew 22:25-30)."
Sacralized marriage is the way to bring forth more souls, which then belong to god.