“The Jan 6th. Attack: Before, During and After” Washington Post investigative report

This is a sort of Public Service Announcement that Americans needs to become familiar with, because for 187 minutes, (our nation’s) commander in chief stands back and allows an attack on a branch of the U.S. government. (instead he was a cheerleader for the insurrections) I do appreciate this was published a couple months ago but it’s as compelling today as it was then!

The Washington Post releases “The Attack: Before, During and After,” an investigation of the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection and its aftermath

The three-part immersive series examines Jan. 6 and its fallout through audio, video, photography and revelatory new reporting.

By WashPostPR - October 31, 2021

The Washington Post today released a three-part investigation into the forces that led to the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 and the growing distrust in America’s elections that has spread in its aftermath. “The Attack: Before, During and After” reveals through new reporting how law enforcement officials failed to heed warnings of impending violence in Washington, documents the bloody consequences of President Donald Trump’s inaction during the siege and shows how a deep distrust of the voting process has taken root across the country.

“An event of the magnitude of the Capitol attack demands deep and revelatory reporting,” said Matea Gold, national political enterprise and investigations editor. “This newsroom-wide collaboration provides our readers with a definitive account of Jan. 6 and its lasting impact on American democracy.”

“The Attack: Before, During and After” lays out striking new details about the cascade of warnings law enforcement officials received before Jan. 6 and uses social media posts, text messages, videos and photographs to show how Trump radicalized his supporters and mobilized them to action. The project also features voicemails of threats made against election officials around the country, and includes intimate reporting about six individuals whose lives were affected by Jan. 6.

“Presidents are not kings, and the plaintiff is not president.”

These were the words of a U.S. Federal judge rejecting former President Donald Trump’s request to withhold records about the January 6th insurrection. The ruling will give a bipartisan house committee access to hundreds of pages of documents from the Trump White House. The committee also has issued 10 new subpoenas to former Trump officials.
The Washington Post has conducted its own extensive investigation called “The Attack: Before, During and After.” It included more than 75 journalists and interviews with over 230 people. Here is Michel Martin speaking with Post reporters Amy Gardner and Aaron Davis about the cascade of warnings received before January 6th.

Originally aired on November 10, 2021.

Guess one reason I posted that was because I listened to an uplifting news report.
Apparently enough attention has been put on the Republican’s shameless, winning is everything, totalitarian gerrymandering strategy, that certain people have been waking up and taken up the battle for saving what we can of our democracy and apparently doing a bit more winning than losing.

So public education has become a bigger imperative than ever as we approach perhaps the most ominous and far reaching American election since Abraham Lincoln.

Kelly Burton, president of the National Democratic Redistricting Committee, talks about the effort to ensure fair voting district maps against Republicans keen to use redistricting to secure election outcomes.

Back to the main course, here’s a link to an audible version of the report:

Understand the U.S. Capitol Riot

On Jan. 6, 2021, a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol.

What should the Dems do about this and the next one that is definitely coming?

The shift, going back to at least the Reagan years, away from quality education is also a big factor. When people don’t have rudimentary skills to determine what is true or not, demagogues step right in.

Here’s a bit of an update, and it relates to the civil suit being pursued against trump.

Federal Judge Blocks Trump Claim Of ‘Absolute Immunity’ From Jan. 6 Lawsuits

MSNBC - Former U.S. attorney Barbara McQuade and Editor in Chief of the Bulwark Charlie Sykes discuss a federal judge saying Donald Trump could be held responsible for inciting the attack on the Capitol on January 6th.

It’s been a year since the last post.
Guess it’s time for an update, perhaps just a reminder:

besides some nobodies, who did you say within Authority has been prosecuted and jailed over this?

Over what? Name your poison , Trump has done it!

The evidence is so overwhelming they can’t quite decide the best way to lock him up for the rest of his life.

1 Like

It’s a weakness in the system. The Constitution can only set up guardrails, but if it was easy to throw politicians in jail, it would be easy to stage a coup. The fact that people aren’t in jail doesn’t mean they are acting ethically or morally.

1 Like

I agree, but if you or I were guilty of just half of the criminal misdeeds this joker is guilty of, we’d be in jail for 10 years.

its easy to throw journalists in jail for exposing government crimes but the establishment cant throw their their own and their subordinates to the lions as this will topple the apple cart.

Something like that. Do doubt, money* don’t talk, it screams.
*(not to mention power)

Where do we go with that?
The story is old as history.
We, as individuals, still need to navigate our worlds and do what we can to get through our own day to days.
Or we can roll over for it, or be a martyr against it?

metalhead, I imagine you’re disgusted perhaps a bit hopeless, I hear you, still tomorrow is another day that you need to face for yourself. What do you want to be present to?

In the end each of us is left with the choice of how to confront and manage the circumstances we were born into and are living. That’s why humans are born with brains (and bodies) only 40% developed. Circumstance does as much to raise them, physically and mentally, as the parents they came from, it’s why people have been so flexible and survivable.

We know the world is in a (for us) slow motion catastrophe, one that will destroy our global economy, global travel, eventually even communication, well, there’s always ham radio, at some point, eventually even us. But before that far off day, the world will be rearranged in ways we can’t fathom.

Weather will get tougher, making everything else tougher, with the next year only promising another ratcheting up in Earth’s Atmospheric Heat Holding ability. Resulting in a continued heating and energizing our global heat and moisture distribution engine. Simple physics coupled with simple math tells the rest of the story.

Trying to get back on track here, journalists get tossed in jail and assassinated, and the powerful keep getting away with monstrosities, there’s only so much outrage to go around. We’re already overwhelmed, do you have any suggestions?

You know, it’s easy pointing out the failings, I do it all the time, so I’m not criticizing, but I am wondering, do you have anything to share on how to cope and such?

Excuse me got lost in rambling, taking advantage of a quiet moment. Trying to do better than simply tossing one-liners back and forth.

I’m looking for something interesting to think about.
What do you have to offer?
How are you getting through your day to days, when the worlds so screwed up?
Any suggestions?

the latest from Seymour Hersh is intriguing. Better than this try hards.

I was hoping for something more substantive than a daisy-chain.

The “Sri Lanka Guardian”, so that’s how far Seymour Hersh had to go to get his story printed?

Reuters was unable to corroborate Hersh’s self-published article, which said Biden authorized the operation to blunt Moscow’s ability to use gas sales to Europe to fund its invasion of Ukraine.

The one time great Seymour Hersh as fallen on hard times and continues to strive for relevance. (Why am I suddenly thinking of Ralph Nader and his trajectory from people’s hero to demagogue?)

Intriguing, isn’t enough.
Needs to have some meat on the bones.
Seymour’s article is strong on story line, but weak on substantive facts and based on interviews with one unidentified individual.

"… Hersh’s story — all 5,000-plus words of it — is based entirely on a lone anonymous source “with direct knowledge of the operational planning.” That’s it. Hersh supplies no further evidence proving unequivocally the United States planned and executed what would be rightly viewed as an “act of war.”

On the other hand, White House officials, including Biden administration spokeswoman Adrienne Watson, have gone on the record to dispute the charge, characterizing it as “false and complete fiction.” …"

Politics by innuendo - nothing very honorable about that!
I’ll never gain back the couple hours I spent spinning my wheels looking for some, there, there.
You disappoint metalhead.

1 Like

Thanks for taking one for the team cc. I did a quick search, saw that Seymour was the only one saying this, and the denials. Even if he’s right, not much I can do about it.

We all suspected it was the US after Biden told the world “the nordstream 2 pipeline will be no longer and I promise you we will be able to do it”. Just like we all suspect the CIA killed Kennedy we now know to be true. Seymour tells us who did it how they did it why they did it and when they did it. With these US and Biden’s threats going as far back as early '22 to blow up Nord Stream, a denial that makes for hilarious reading and is insult to the intelligence of the rest of the World . Ironic at the same time is the conclusion the shot down China balloon was a spy ship even before they could retrieve and analyse the payload that landed in the sea.

The blowing up of the pipeline is the single biggest ever methane leak and is an act of economic and environmental terrorism by a bunch of real mcoy psychopaths in the White House.

You know the Air Force had been circling the balloon for days, while jamming and photographing and analyzing it. It’ll be interesting eventually hearing what actual physical analysis produces.

hmmm. Who all? How do “we” know it’s true?

Have any sources?

source
Neither of the two breached Nord Stream pipelines, which run between Russia and Germany, was operational, but both contained natural gas. This mostly consists of methane – a greenhouse gas that is the biggest cause of climate heating after carbon dioxide.

The extent of the leaks is still unclear but rough estimates by scientists, based on the volume of gas reportedly in one of the pipelines, vary between 100,000 and 350,000 tonnes of methane.

Jasmin Cooper, a research associate at Imperial College London’s department of chemical engineering, said a “lot of uncertainty” surrounded the leak.

In terms of the climate impact, 275,577 tons (250,000 metric tons) of methane was equivalent to the impact of 1.3 million cars driven on the road for a year, Gauthier says.

What I find very weird is that they say neither pipeline was operational. But contained methane. Okay, I appreciate that the volume in a cylinder does add up surprisingly fast, but that pipeline wasn’t that fat. Where did all that gas come from?
What about the freakin safety shut offs along the pipeline: were there none? didn’t no one bother to trigger emergency shut off values?
What kind of incompetent people were in charge of that pipeline?

Can you provide a link to that statement? I did not hear Biden tell that to the world and I am part of the world that watches a lot of news.
If you cannot provide a trustworthy link I won’t believe a word of what you are saying.

The blowing up of the pipeline is the single biggest ever methane leak and is an act of economic and environmental terrorism by a bunch of real mcoy psychopaths in the White House.

Ask the Ukrainians if they believe blowing up that pipeline was an act of terrorism committed by a bunch of psychopaths.

The psychopath in the Kremlin, Putin, is laying waste to an entire country with his indiscriminate bombing of civilians and infrastructure financed by the profits of those gas sales. Do you believe we should let Putin continue an endless war of genocide?

Putin is the terrorist and all detrimental consequences of his wanton and criminal act of aggression against a sovereign nation are the result of his crimes.

btw. If you think this was an act of critical thinking on your part, you’re wrong.
“critical thinking” does not mean leveling criticisms without objective consideration of context.

“I am part of the world that watches a lot of news.”

dont think so

OK, he said it, but you neglected to mention the qualifier.

If Putin had stopped his act of terrorism, Biden would not have been compelled to shut down that pipeline lest he be complicit in Putin’s terrorist actions.

This was a considered act of the Biden government in view of the terrorist Putin’s purpose for this pipeline.

p.s. Blowing up or commercial use of that gas makes no difference to the eventual environmental impact. Either way, it would be a pollutant.

Context is everything!