"The Impossible"

I watched “The Impossible” last night and came across one minor problem in the movie. Which one of these kids couldn’t have been Watts’s and McGregor’s sons? Or at least not McGregor’s sons.

http://genetics.thetech.org/how-blue-eyed-parents-can-have-brown-eyed-children

I didn't know that.
I didn't know that. Ah, now that's "The Impossible". (That I came across something on genetics, that you didn't already know.) :)

BTW, I liked the movie, as it was based on the experiences of a real family. (Although the actual family did not appear to be so caucasian.)

Caucasian? I guess you mean Anglo-Saxons, not Caucasian. The real family looked like they were from Spain, which would still make them Caucasian.
The movie was okay, I guess. The water came, they got hurt, they found each other.

I watched "The Impossible" last night and came across one minor problem in the movie. Which one of these kids couldn't have been Watts's and McGregor's sons? Or at least not McGregor's sons.
I have a member of my family who is blonde and blue eyed while both of her parents have brown eyes and dark hair. There is no doubt about her parentage. You do know about recessive genes, don't you? Lois
I have a member of my family who is blonde and blue eyed while both of her parents have brown eyes and dark hair.
Parents with brown eyes having a kid with blue eyes is very common. That's not what I was talking about.
You do know about recessive genes, don't you?
BTW, I suggest that you at least try to understand what people are talking about before you decide to sound cocky. You have already shown this silly behaviour in the Free Will thread a number of times.
Caucasian? I guess you mean Anglo-Saxons, not Caucasian. The real family looked like they were from Spain, which would still make them Caucasian. The movie was okay, I guess. The water came, they got hurt, they found each other.
George, are you inferring that Anglo-Saxons aren't Caucasian? Or are you saying that they're a Caucasian sub race? and the Spanish are an admixture of Celts, Ostrogothic Germans and Arabs, all Caucasians. Cap't Jack

Of course Anglo-Saxons are Caucasians, just like are the Spaniards and the rest or Europe. (And so are the Arabs or Indians.)
Some Caucasians are certainly more related to one another than to others, as can be seen in this genetic map of Europe:

Ok, I get it. I should have read your post again. The genetic map shows the Spanish farther from the center but even at that there are blond haired Spaniards and dark skinned Irish. BTW, to digress, have you ever heard of the “black Irish”? Also, I’ve seen that map before. Did you post it a while back? Seems that I saw it in a book I recently read.
Cap’t Jack

There is obviously (obviously to me at least, unlike to most people on this forum) more to race than just the colour of eyes and skin. The origin of the blue-eye gene is believed to be somewhere around today’s Estonia, so it’s not really that surprising to find an Irishman with a darker complexion. It would be less common, well, in Estonia.
Here is a map of Europe’s eye colour:

The genetic map shows the Spanish farther from the center
I don't know what you mean by the Spaniards being "farther from the center." What is interesting about the genetic map is that it looks pretty much like the geographic map of Europe. A Swiss is more closely related to a German than he is to a Spaniard because Switzerland is geographically closer to Germany than it is to Spain.
I don’t know what you mean by the Spaniards being “farther from the center." What is interesting about the genetic map is that it looks pretty much like the geographic map of Europe. A Swiss is more closely related to a German than he is to a Spaniard because Switzerland is geographically closer to Germany than it is to Spain.
I assumed from looking at the map that blue represents Spain, right? If you look at the color blue representing Spanish genes it appears at the far left of the center where the two lines intersect. That would also follow the geographic map color blue representing Spain. At least that's how I interpreted it. Cap't Jack
There is obviously (obviously to me at least, unlike to most people on this forum) more to race than just the colour of eyes and skin.
How many differences make a difference in race? What is the operational, scientifically based definition of a race? This] does not help much:
In biology, races are distinct populations within the same species and does not apply to genetic differences but Phenotype. For example an animal with parents of two different races will be considered to be the race that the animals resembles most closely. Race as a term is almost exclusively used for domesticated species, which is not to say that wild species don't develop races, but natural bottlenecking will quickly turn a race into a subspecies. ... According to Ernst W. Mayr, "a subspecies is a geographic race that is sufficiently different taxonomically to be worthy of a separate name". Hence, the biological races are not taxonomical categories.
The German page is even stronger:
Er bezeichnet beliebige Zusammenfassungen von nach subjektivem ermessen gruppierten Lebewesen einer Art
Freely translated: 'Race' refers to arbitrary summarisations of grouping Organisms of a species after subjective criteria. The Dutch page only refers to race as intentionally bred races of domestic organisms. Where is the border between science and political correctness? Where the border between science and racism?

You may ask the same thing when it comes to species and families. Are Neandertals different species? (Or the chimps, as there is a good reason to suspect that chimp and human could produce an offspring?) Are you my cousin?

If a viable Humanzee could be produced, I wonder whether it would be infertile, as is a mule.

If a viable Humanzee could be produced, I wonder whether it would be infertile, as is a mule.
Maybe, maybe not. We and chimps are genetically less different than are horse and donkey.
I have a member of my family who is blonde and blue eyed while both of her parents have brown eyes and dark hair.
Parents with brown eyes having a kid with blue eyes is very common. That's not what I was talking about. What are you talking about, then?