The Duties of the Open-Minded

Hello everyone. I hope you had a good holiday season and find yourself in a new year of prospect.
I’m not sure why I’m writing this, but I feel like I have to, at least for myself, as pretty much all my writing is these days. Let’s title it "The Duties of the ‘Open-Minded’ to those who are ‘not’ ".
I would like to consider myself an open-minded person, as I try to be, and I am probably as liberal, socially at least, as it can get. So long as you harm no one, do as you wish, that’s my opinion. I don’t believe in government regulations of people’s personal lives. Additionally, I’m transgender and probably an alcoholic. Just so you get the picture of who’s writing.
My life has distanced me from my parents, especially my father, quite a bit. He’s a good man, and I feel like a pile of shit sometimes as how I disappointed him, but I “couldn’t help myself”. And I always viewed things as a “struggle” between narrow-minded, “God-fearing” Conservatives seeking a theocracy to impose their trash on others, and those of reasonable minds trying to make things better. - Today, at least right now, I have a different picture in my mind. I’m crying. I’m half-drunk. And I feel like I’m the fascist.
Some Conservatives, I now know, do not seek “theocracy”. They simply seek a life of peace and love and feel threatened by things they don’t understand. It’s a fight for survival for them, not an aggressive war. Initially maybe, or perceived as such by people like me, but as the walls crumble there is no superior spirit, only a spirit that once had a dream, destroyed by the world around. And I helped destroy someone else’s dream.
Whatever this new year brings, I will bury my ax forever and never lift a word again against another human being. And if I disagree, I will try to be humble in doing so. - No, I do not want to hurt, I want to heal. And I know how needy I am, I need to extend my hand to others as well, no matter who or what they are, and no matter what they believe or think about anything.
I want to make this a new year for myself, and everyone I come in contact with.
Shit. Thanks for listening.
Michelle

When I get real depressed, I watch or think about the movie Castaway. He thought it was over, and when things got their worst, he just kept breathing. One breath after another. And little by little he came back.
What I think you’re describing is small c conservatives versus capital C or “movement” conservatives. A lot of folks are small c’s, my parents included. And if you need a stereotype I’d say Archie Bunker. Good people, actually fairly accepting once they get over their initial fear, but overall scared and small-minded AND not out to change the world. For these folks, I agree, never a word against personally or to try to hurt them. Movement conservatives otoh aren’t innocent. They willfully seek to oppress others. They’re a disease that the world needs to get rid of (by attrition or convincing, never violence). In that case, I don’t think a word against them is a bad thing. They fight with fire, and sometimes unfortunately it seems that’s the only way to fight back.

And I always viewed things as a "struggle" between narrow-minded, "God-fearing" Conservatives seeking a theocracy to impose their trash on others, and those of reasonable minds trying to make things better. - Today, at least right now, I have a different picture in my mind. Some Conservatives, I now know, do not seek "theocracy". They simply seek a life of peace and love and feel threatened by things they don't understand. It's a fight for survival for them, not an aggressive war. Michelle
I pared away all of the unnecessary blubbering( :lol: you're just down in the dumps right now, you'll feel better. These are some of the shortest days of the year...) to reveal some very insightful thoughts of yours. I agree with your insight. Those dynamics are definitely in play often.

Hi Cuthbert,
Thanks for your kind words. I was indeed rather depressed and emotional last night. It sometimes just comes over me.
I was wondering about the C versus c when I was writing, but I guess I wasn’t thinking straight. Much better today :slight_smile:
I suppose what you’re saying is correct. It’s the small c conservatives I meant, who simply live their lives and value their peace. They want to raise a family and live their dream. That’s who I meant. They’re not after anyone, they simply don’t want their world harmed, and that can and should be respected. - The “Movement Conservatives”, as you call it, like the Christian Right, they are indeed after people, and that should be opposed, albeit still with some respect. (I love Christopher Hitchens and I think he was hilarious and correct, but often-times he was a bit too aggressive for my taste. Still, I don’t know his private life, never read Hitch-22 or know anything else. Since he was friends with Francis Collins though, as far as I understand, there must have been a deep honesty in all he did.)

Hello VYAZMA… thanks for un-blubbering me :slight_smile: I’m feeling much better, yes. The holidays can get to you. All that emotion.
Was a dark and lonely night and I just needed to say something… I’m glad it said at least a little bit.
Peace.

Hello VYAZMA.... thanks for un-blubbering me :) I'm feeling much better, yes. The holidays can get to you. All that emotion. Was a dark and lonely night and I just needed to say something... I'm glad it said at least a little bit. Peace.
No problem. Glad your in better spirits.