The concept of "christophobia"

I have been lately thinking a lot this term “christophobia”, and what it means for atheist and free-thinkers. When promoting atheism and skepticism, people have been calling me “christophobe”. Seriously, i have not said anything against Christians in those discussions, but trying to talk about atheism and skepticism can give you a brand of “christophobe”. This is just some way very annoying. I mean, when you are trying to talk about human rights violations that fundamentalists are making, people call you christophobe. And i know, this accuse is also used against ex-Christians who try to tell about abuse in their former communities.
Have you been accused of christophobia? And what this concept could actually mean, and what cultural impacts it could have against/toward non-religious people trying to express our opinions?

It’s just how a certain class of opponents operate when they don’t have a leg to stand on. Misdirect and attack in order to avoid the real issues.

Have you been accused of christophobia? And what this concept could actually mean, and what cultural impacts it could have against/toward non-religious people trying to express our opinions?
Why not turn a negative into a positive by calling yourself a skeptophile? A good retort would be that if you want to call me anything negative, how about a dogmaphobe, I.e. no phobia to xtianity just one's faith in the unbelievable and how it effects those of us who only believe in reality. It's a start,but as has already been stated here many times, you can't reason someone out of a belief that they weren't reasoned into in the first place (with apologies to Johnathan Swift). Cap't Jack

I haven’t heard that term before. Maybe I’m just not hanging out with interesting enough people?
I would think that a christophobe is someone who has an unreasoning fear of Christ. Or maybe Christians. I’m not sure which.
Maybe another parallel might be to ask if, in the same way an atheist is a christophobe, someone who is not gay is a homophobe? After all, the only thing holding back my gayness is my unreasoning fear of gay people. :-/

Why not turn a negative into a positive by calling yourself a skeptophile? A good retort would be that if you want to call me anything negative, how about a dogmaphobe, I.e. no phobia to xtianity just one's faith in the unbelievable and how it effects those of us who only believe in reality. It's a start,but as has already been stated here many times, you can't reason someone out of a belief that they weren't reasoned into in the first place (with apologies to Johnathan Swift). Cap't Jack
Dogmaphobe, that is good one, thanks. It is also kinda amusing and bewildering(and also, irrational), how broad this term christophobia is. I mean that i have encountered it in many different situations: Christmas without Jesus is christophobic, consumerist version of Christmas is christophobic, demanding separation of church and state is christophobic. You see, this concept is also known about its wide use, with lot of aggression to the point that refusing a prayer means that you are accused of christophobia.

Using their logic, they must be Judeaphobes, Islamophobes, Buddhaphobes, Skeptaphobes, etc. Amazing what lengths people will go to when they have no good arguments. :lol:
Occam

I haven't heard that term before. Maybe I'm just not hanging out with interesting enough people? I would think that a christophobe is someone who has an unreasoning fear of Christ. Or maybe Christians. I'm not sure which. Maybe another parallel might be to ask if, in the same way an atheist is a christophobe, someone who is not gay is a homophobe? After all, the only thing holding back my gayness is my unreasoning fear of gay people. :-/
And this term "phobia" is also very problematic in this case, because those people who have been accused of it(including me) are not afraid of Christianity itself; only hoping that christianity would not hurt them and their basic rights. See, i dont fear religion in any way, i just want to keep right to express my own view about world; there is no phobia in expressing this. But maybe those people who like to use that term(and how i said above, it is very usable) do not basically think that getting along with different people, or having rich discussion, is fun.
Using their logic, they must be Judeaphobes, Islamophobes, Buddhaphobes, Skeptaphobes, etc. Amazing what lengths people will go to when they have no good arguments. :lol: Occam
Yes, thats absolutely truet, but they do not think that it goes both ways, only they have that precious right to use these terms, or so they think.
Have you been accused of christophobia?
Nope, but I've been called worse. When the "other side" resorts to name calling and character assassination, that tells me they have nothing else to offer.

… and the winner is…
dogmaphobe

I have been lately thinking a lot this term "christophobia", and what it means for atheist and free-thinkers. When promoting atheism and skepticism, people have been calling me "christophobe". Seriously, i have not said anything against Christians in those discussions, but trying to talk about atheism and skepticism can give you a brand of "christophobe". This is just some way very annoying. I mean, when you are trying to talk about human rights violations that fundamentalists are making, people call you christophobe. And i know, this accuse is also used against ex-Christians who try to tell about abuse in their former communities. Have you been accused of christophobia? And what this concept could actually mean, and what cultural impacts it could have against/toward non-religious people trying to express our opinions?
I'm no more a Christophobe than I am a Santaphobe or an Easterbunnyphobe. Nonbelief doesn't imply fear. I suspect that those who would accept the concept of Chtistophobia are in fact Rationalismphobes, or to make it roll off the tongue better, just dumb clucks.

One thing I’ve noticed with many Christians, not sure about other religions, is that they seem to actually value being persecuted. When they perceive they’re being persecuted, they can then feel suffering. And that, I’m guessing, makes them feel “at one” with Jesus. I.e. persecution and suffering are baked into their belief system. SO…any chance they get to paint themselves as being persecuted, they take it. You see this in politics. A city has 200 churches, one on every corner except 1. The local pol wants to build another when someone suggests, hey how about a mosque or a temple or a library. WHOA, how dare you express such anti-Christian ideas.