The Children's Act

Went to your blog, first impression, did impress.

Lots of potentially interesting articles. I opened “From neoliberalism to necrocapitalism in 20 years” (20-09-15). It was sadly fascinating and to my eyes an accurate enough description, to keep me reading, and it was putting you in a while new light. You even got me to google “Necropolitics” since I wasn’t familiar with the term.

Then I got all the way to the bottom and was surprised to see the link. My heart sank as I raced to the top and to double check. Sure enough, no introduction and no hint that you are sharing someone else’s article, namely, that Mark LeVine (Professor of History at UC Irvine) penned it, July 15th, 2020.

At the bottom you clear your conscience by tossing in the link, no title, no author, no hat tip to Mark LeVine. (you ungrateful sod)

Now I share a lot of things other’s have written, but never pretend it’s my own original writing. Although perhaps it’s just that I feel I have original writing that can stand on its own, I’m not dependent on others for my thinking, they simply provide me with fodder to work on myself. I like referencing others, to acknowledge them and their efforts, and so that others can learn from things that have taught me.

I left your blog very disappointed.

All your gains (to my humble eyes) got shot back down to Earth.

Clean up your act.

Meanwhile back to the new word I learned this morning.
<blockquote>"Necropolitics" by Achille Mbembe

Subjects
Politics &gt; Political Theory, Sociology &gt; Social Theory, Theory and Philosophy &gt; Postcolonial Theory

224Illustrations: Published: October 2019

In Necropolitics Achille Mbembe, a leader in the new wave of francophone critical theory, theorizes the genealogy of the contemporary world, a world plagued by ever-increasing inequality, militarization, enmity, and terror as well as by a resurgence of racist, fascist, and nationalist forces determined to exclude and kill. He outlines how democracy has begun to embrace its dark side---what he calls its “nocturnal body”---which is based on the desires, fears, affects, relations, and violence that drove colonialism.

This shift has hollowed out democracy, thereby eroding the very values, rights, and freedoms liberal democracy routinely celebrates. As a result, war has become the sacrament of our times in a conception of sovereignty that operates by annihilating all those considered enemies of the state.

Despite his dire diagnosis, Mbembe draws on post-Foucauldian debates on biopolitics, war, and race as well as Fanon's notion of care as a shared vulnerability to explore how new conceptions of the human that transcend humanism might come to pass. These new conceptions would allow us to encounter the Other not as a thing to exclude but as a person with whom to build a more just world.</blockquote>

Stick around for the final punchline. :wink: