The Bandwagon is now, officially, rolling

Chris Christie has hopped on the Trump bandwagon. With a little more steam on Mar. 2nd and 15th, there will be more and more bandwagon members, more and more Trumpeteers, eager to be in on the win. There will be no stopping it. The Repub nomination will be all but over. Cue dramatic music.

You can relax. Trump will be the Repub nominee.
You said this 2 days ago.
But the bandwagon effect is not quite yet in full play. It will be. Watch and (since you are a Trump supporter) enjoy.
But the bandwagon effect is not quite yet in full play. It will be. Watch and (since you are a Trump supporter) enjoy. What's that got to do with anything? I'm watching for the Primary/Caucus "effect". This Tuesday.
But the bandwagon effect is not quite yet in full play. It will be. Watch and (since you are a Trump supporter) enjoy. What's that got to do with anything? I'm watching for the Primary/Caucus "effect". This Tuesday. One thing leads to another. The bandwagon effect always happens, when people start deciding that they want to be on the winning side. (As did Christie.) I expect it to result in Trump starting to win primaries with a majority rather than just a plurality. If Trump is close (to Cruz) in Texas, on Tues. and wins (over Rubio) in Florida, a couple of weeks later, even a win in Ohio by Kasich would be somewhat irrelevant. (Although Kasich might be a good running mate). Note: I am assuming that Trump will come in first in almost all the primaries on Tues., other than Texas.

I have a feeling that the bandwagon is going to get bigger pretty quickly. It certainly seems consistent with the conservative nature of the GOP where they tend to fall behind the authority of the leader.

I have a feeling that the bandwagon is going to get bigger pretty quickly. It certainly seems consistent with the conservative nature of the GOP where they tend to fall behind the authority of the leader.
yeah, every time you think it can't get worse. It does.
SDA, I am glad that you have some interest in USA politics. Have you noticed much general interest, from where you are in Europe, re: what is going on in the USA political scene?

I’m originally Canadian, but I’ve had an interest in US politics for a long time. Your politics tends to seep northwards into our politics, so it’s generally in our interests to pay attention. I used to be pretty apathetic, but my ex-girlfriend was a political scientist. She really got me into it, and I’ve become a bit of a political junkie ever since.
Here where I am, Spain, there’s seems to be a general disinterest in the US election. The Brits that come here for vacation talk about it with me, usually, but some of the Spaniards do too. They’re blown away by Trump, but they generally don’t know much else. I tend to talk about the US a lot because they’ve been the hegemon for years, and they like that I have a perspective that lets them have a perspective that they’re not emotionally tied to.
There are pretty significant trends that you can see when you come to a country. You can see who the conservatives, progressives, and neoliberals are almost immediately. They’re all basically cut from the same cloth as their counterparts, because the underlying neural structures are pretty much the same wherever you go. It’s all human nature, and how each side views authority and hierarchy.

SDA, Thanks for your reply. Very interesting. BTW, you have already taught me two new words “Dominionist” and “hegemon”.
Re: Our inherent, instinctual urges effecting our political orientations, I recall a video that Write4U linked to, in a totally unrelated thread: It showed a silver back gorilla alpha male, who appeared to be making a show of confronting and actively opposing thunder while his timid followers cowered in the trees. I thought to myself, when watching the video, “Hmm, that’s Donald Trump.” (although, I always have to add, that Trump’s outward physical appearance suggests a closer relationship to an orangutan than a gorilla).

SDA, Thanks for your reply. Very interesting. BTW, you have already taught me two new words "Dominionist" and "hegemon". Re: Our inherent, instinctual urges effecting our political orientations, I recall a video that Write4U linked to, in a totally unrelated thread: It showed a silver back gorilla alpha male, who appeared to be making a show of confronting and actively opposing thunder while his timid followers cowered in the trees. I thought to myself, when watching the video, "Hmm, that's Donald Trump." (although, I always have to add, that Trump's outward physical appearance suggests a closer relationship to an orangutan than a gorilla).
If you like those, you'll love: DARVO Starving the beast Privateering (not as in pirates, but as as a portmanteau of privatization and profiteering), which is related to starving the beast

DARVO. That’s a handy acronym/term for a commonly occurring socio-behavioral phenomenon. As in Trump will DARVO the media for implying that he is okay with White Supremacy.

And “portmanteau”. My vocabulary is increasing remarkably.

I don’t like the term “starving the beast” because, with it, there is an implicit automatic assumption that government is always a scary uncontrolled entity.
And since “privateering” already has its own meaning (in terms of pirates), I think it is a rather poor portmanteau. “Profitization” might be a better portmanteau of privatization and profiteering .

I don't like the term "starving the beast" because, with it, there is an implicit automatic assumption that government is always a scary uncontrolled entity. And since "privateering" already has its own meaning (in terms of pirates), I think it is a rather poor portmanteau. "Profitization" might be a better portmanteau of privatization and profiteering .
I don't like it, either, but I've heard it used in a few different contexts and it's somewhat consistent with what the original meaning of the word. Not a fan of using wikipedia as a reference, but it, and wiktionary, have good descriptions of it: "Privateer is an unethical corporation or wealthy individual hired covertly, i.e. under the public radar, by an enabling accomplice (elected or appointed) inside a government to fulfill a protection or empowerment function of that government without any public accountability for the purpose of undermining that government's moral mission to its people.[1] S/he is a thief of the common wealth and enemy of the public good." and "An unethical individual or group acting covertly with enabling, usually bribed, accomplices inside government to destroy a government’s ability to carry out some aspect of its moral mission of protection and empowerment, by transferring critical moral functions along with public funds. Privateers make considerable profits for doing these civic tasks without any public accountability. Examples of areas where privateers need accomplices include: public education; military functions; intelligence functions; monitoring food, drug, and product safety; interrogating prisoners; and disaster relief." It seems like he's revived and expanded the term. To me, profitization seems to place more emphasis on the profit side, while the shift from public to private seems to be the bigger point he's trying to make. And yes, I agree about starving the beast. I'm not a small government-type, but I hear it a lot in Canadian conservatism when politicians are talking about out of control spending.
Chris Christie has hopped on the Trump bandwagon. With a little more steam on Mar. 2nd and 15th, there will be more and more bandwagon members, more and more Trumpeteers, eager to be in on the win. There will be no stopping it. The Repub nomination will be all but over. Cue dramatic music.
I'm surprised the bandwagon didn't collapse and break into a hundred pieces when Christie "hopped on." :) If Trump becomes the nominee the gloves will come off and his dirty dealings will be revealed. He will be destroyed if the non-Republican electorate has any sense at all. So far he's only had to deal with Republicans, so unethical behavior is naturally not an issue. It will certainly become one if he is the nominee. He's sitting in the catbird seat now because only Republicans have been voting. That will soon change. Lois

Trump did not do quite as well as I expected, on Super Tuesday. He did well, but no Knockout punch, yet. The door remains open for the Anybody But Trump (ABT) opposition, in the forlorn (but still possible) struggle to achieve a brokered Repub convention.
So much of our nation’s future, yet again, hinges on what happens in Florida. (What is it with Florida? Do they want to screw us over as much as possible now, since they will be under water in 100 years?) If Rubio, et al, find a way to win in Florida on Mar 15, (and Kasich wins Ohio) then the slog toward a possible brokered convention can go on.

Yes, Republicans are particularly prone to do that. They're like kids following the Pied Piper without a rational thought or an admirable principle in their heads. Lois
I'm surprised the bandwagon didn't collapse and break into a hundred pieces when Christie "hopped on." :) If Trump becomes the nominee the gloves will come off and his dirty dealings will be revealed. He will be destroyed if the non-Republican electorate has any sense at all. So far he's only had to deal with Republicans, so unethical behavior is naturally not an issue. It will certainly become one if he is the nominee. He's sitting in the catbird seat now because only Republicans have been voting. That will soon change. Lois Christie's jumping on the bandwagon did not signal the momentum for Trump that I figured would mount. Trump is consistently winning but is not gathering delegates at the pace that I thought he would a few weeks ago. Thus I must disavow my previous comments, suggesting that a contested convention is unlikely. I no longer think that it is unlikely. I still think that Trump will be the eventual nominee, but it may not be by an outright first ballot win.