The Art of Life

Ironically, this evening I was looking for something non-political, non-climate and what can I say I like learning about geology and I clinked on a video from Central Washington University “Flood Basalts of the Pacific Northwest” to give it a chance. This one I never got close to wanting to turn off. I really enjoyed the discovery, lecturer Professor Nick Zentner. Well spoken, clear, knowledgeable enthusiastic about his topic, good pacing, for me enjoyable even if a classroom type lecture, since it was teaching a bunch of details about Washington I wasn’t aware of.
It got me to thinking about our new buddy’s question about the Art of Listening. One could just as well speak of the Art of Teaching - which I believe Prof Zentner has in spades, or for that matter the Art of being a Student,
Why stop there, the Art of Cooking and the Zen of Motorcycle Maintenance, and so on.
What is it that transcends an action or activity or product to an Art Form? :slight_smile:
Friends Empower Friends and Other People. :kiss:

What is it that transcends an action or activity or product to an Art Form? smile
The thought which initiated the activity, and the product [image] of an Art Form.

Hmmm, one of them profound responses that doesn’t explain a dang thing.
We have so many competing thoughts guiding us through the day - which are artistic, which are utilitarian?

Hmmm, one of them profound responses that doesn't explain a dang thing. We have so many competing thoughts guiding us through the day - which are artistic, which are utilitarian?
Well Citizenchallenge, why don't you give us the answer to your question:
What is it that transcends an action or activity or product to an Art Form? smile
which does explain things, and make sense?
Well Citizenchallenge, why don't you give us the answer to your question:
which does explain things, and make sense?
Beats the shit out of me. I have a tough enough time trying to define the difference between derivative so-so art and truly original or grab you by the throat stuff. At least I have the honesty to recognize my attempts at art is the former, although once in a blue moon, I think I've done something original. But then, I also see my various jobs as art. I'm plenty happy with "Art is where you find it." Here's the sort of artsy question I've struggled with. How having a camera with you on a hike or river trip transformed the experience? Seems to me the camera dictates and dominates the experience, always demanding the active search for that perfect angle or composition, trying to anticipate, mind always busy with the notion of that eye popping pic. I've gone on trips deliberately leaving the camera at home because I wanted to be immersed in the experience and not in chasing pictures. Or speaking of the Art of Living, how about pondering the notion of striving to "walk with grace".

On my exiting this thread and closing the door on it, I leave in the room the following epitaph. Nothing just happens in this universe, but everything happens just as our vibration and rhythm establish our key of harmony with the background and members of the band of life we are indulged with. Who the music affect we have no idea, but to the true musician and poet, they must make music and it is not to individuals, or groups, or institutions, it is to become aligned with the Spirit of the music.
Going one step further. Regardless of how we look at it, writing and singing, playing an instrument or painting an image is an art. Art is to evoke a response in a viewer or listener. It cannot be the same response in anyone else as the artist who created it. My response to Van Gogh’s Starry Night might be different from yours and from Van Gogh’s but there is no proper .response. They are all valid.
Our response are always proper to us because they are of our comprehension. What can we say in our time of things which will make us step to move beyond the mind, or our comprehensive time of things? Only words which are interpreted finitely but must be expanded upon in the moving Spirit of infinite potential. This is what Edison did, Einstein, and Dr. Saltz, they took that which had been given them in its time, and applied it to their time, and the result are clear. This is what true evolution is. It is The Art of Life. It is taking that of yesterday, and expanding on it for the betterment of the whole.
Finally, life places people in our lives according to the need of the moment. The moment is always moving, and as thoughts cannot be possessed as personal. We use the people, places and things of the moment, and if we dare allow them to flow free -remember others have a destiny completely opposite than yours - they use us as we use them without opposition.
Thank you

Ironically, this evening I was looking for something non-political, non-climate and what can I say I like learning about geology and I clinked on a video from Central Washington University "Flood Basalts of the Pacific Northwest" to give it a chance. This one I never got close to wanting to turn off. I really enjoyed the discovery, lecturer Professor Nick Zentner. Well spoken, clear, knowledgeable enthusiastic about his topic, good pacing, for me enjoyable even if a classroom type lecture, since it was teaching a bunch of details about Washington I wasn't aware of. It got me to thinking about our new buddy's question about the Art of Listening. One could just as well speak of the Art of Teaching - which I believe Prof Zentner has in spades, or for that matter the Art of being a Student, Why stop there, the Art of Cooking and the Zen of Motorcycle Maintenance, and so on. What is it that transcends an action or activity or product to an Art Form? :) Friends Empower Friends and Other People. :kiss:
My take is anything manmade that moves people can be called "art".
Nothing just happens in this universe, but everything happens just as our vibration and rhythm establish our key of harmony with the background and members of the band of life we are indulged with.
What a pile of steaming New Age nonsense. Did you get that from a random New Age phrase generator or is there supposed to be some meaning hiding behind those words?
A bus?
A bus?