The nature of pleasure/joy

I just wanted to know how do things “bring” us joy. Is it something within our control? Is it similar to making meaning in that the joy that said object brings to us is something that we can draw upon and bring out? If not then how does it happen.

A thought popped in my head that if an image brings me pleasure and joy then I am the source of it and not the object, but I feel like it’s more complex than that.

Zain- why do you think the reasons are that suicide rates have dramatically increased especially among the young?

I don’t know. But I was just asking about pleasure, especially since people don’t all react the same way to things.

Could there be a connection?

That doesn’t really answer my question.

Indeed it is more complex than that. When we see an image that brings us pleasure, it’s not so much the image as the chain of associations that the image triggers in your brain. And this chain of associations depends upon the context, the way you’re already feeling, whether or not you’re in a receptive mood, a myriad of other things. For that reason pleasure is an ineffable thing, and shouldn’t be examined too closely. Just be grateful for those moments of complete bliss.

<p style=“text-align: left;”>True da. Some how this made me think of the fine wine and food eating experience. So much is dependent on the situation; the restaurant, the atmosphere, the waiter who’s smart enough to be delivering informed subtle entertainment with his/her Service (yes with a capital, too bad too few understand that concept anymore).</p>
<p style=“text-align: left;”>The wise waiter knows the interpretation of the food happens in the mind, and emotions override taste buds every time.</p>
<p style=“text-align: left;”>Romance is the same story, the plainest face, with passion behind it, is more beautiful than the most made up plastic covergirl.</p>

Hey I didn’t do any of that. This wasn’t even cut and paste. Gremlins, yeah I believe in the supernatural. ;-p)

or maybe I accidentally brushed a key I shouldn’t have. Hmmm.