Talk about Jesus, London

Here’s an interesting-sounding talk, scheduled to be held this month in London. I wonder if any of our English members could go and send us a report. It sounds as if this would be a good talk for our free thought organizations, if he’s willing to do a North America tour.
http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm
Lois

I don’t care much for Atwill. He’s been around for a while and has not passed any level of peer review. Worse, in this case, he is announcing his latest evidence in a paid talk. That’s not scholarship, that’s showmanship. That he says he is certain his evidence will be proven correct in the future gives him 10 points on the crackpot index.

Have I mentioned how much I like Richard Carrier?
See, FreeThoughtBlogs.com, Richard Carrier “Atwill’s Cranked-up Jesus”

Here's an interesting-sounding talk, scheduled to be held this month in London. I wonder if any of our English members could go and send us a report. It sounds as if this would be a good talk for our free thought organizations, if he's willing to do a North America tour. http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm Lois
I have since learned that Atwill is considered a nutcase in both religious and atheist communities. Lois

He may be considered a nutcase, but just from a quick read of this story: http://news.yahoo.com/self-professed-bible-scholar-makes-explosive-allegation-jesus-133026476.html
it sure sounds fairly legit to me. I know from other sources that Jesus was used in many political and religious ways counter to what we commonly know about him. And the early church used various tactics to destroy competing Christian sects and non-Christian religions. Christmas for example was an attempt to smash the Pagans.
Moreover, if you were a Christian, say a TV evangelist, and along comes a guy who threatens your money pot. What are you going to do? You’re going to take every action you can to paint the guy as a nutcase. Now he might really be out there scholarship-wise, but just on the face of it his conclusions seem reasonable.

He may be considered a nutcase, but just from a quick read of this story: http://news.yahoo.com/self-professed-bible-scholar-makes-explosive-allegation-jesus-133026476.html it sure sounds fairly legit to me. I know from other sources that Jesus was used in many political and religious ways counter to what we commonly know about him. And the early church used various tactics to destroy competing Christian sects and non-Christian religions. Christmas for example was an attempt to smash the Pagans. Moreover, if you were a Christian, say a TV evangelist, and along comes a guy who threatens your money pot. What are you going to do? You're going to take every action you can to paint the guy as a nutcase. Now he might really be out there scholarship-wise, but just on the face of it his conclusions seem reasonable.
The Christians mostly ignore him. Probably because they know he makes atheists look bad in the same way that Westboro Baptist makes mainline Christianity look bad. Skeptic magazine runs articles on guys like this as do many people and organizations that normally are anti-religion and anti-woo. No historian has ever verified his work, what else do need to know?

As someone who is convinced that the Jesus myth is obviously just that, prima facie, I long for an explanation that would trace the story to its roots. The difficulty in that is the same as Christians have: the events are obscured by the intense political, religious and cultural turmoil of the time, and 2,000 years of intervening time. We can’t even get WMDs in Iraq straight with contemporaneous reporting and real-time recording, let alone know what happened in a collection of villages in the Middle East 2,000 years ago. Having not been familiar with Atwill, my eyes opened a bit wider when I saw the report of this upcoming event. After thinking about it for a few moments, I recognized that there were grounds for caution, instead of just putting this up on my Facebook page, which I am happy to say I restrained myself from doing. I applaud my fellow secularists on this page who have approached this matter with objectivity and intelligence befitting of members of our community.