Stupid to the last drop

Doesn’t he own a ranch in Crawford, TX? I know he still owns property in Mich. but the sources I checked definitely link him to Texas. Or maybe as one source says “He lives on Mars with his head in Uranus”! He’s also linked to the faaaaar Right’s candidates and has made some egregiously racist statements re. The Prez.
Cap’t Jack

Maybe he bought GW Shrub’s ranch in Crawford. I dunno. Last I heard ole Ted lived somewhere in the southeast, but I don’t pay much attention to him so I’m not sure. Seems like he’d fit in right well in Georgia or Alabama, but Crawford would make sense too. That’s a ridiculously conservative town.
While we’re at it, can we send Justin Bieber back to Canada?

Not the Biebs! It was a mistake, he was a little drunk when he resisted arrest. It’s not his fault; it was the money, no it was the instant fame, he’s only 19 and needs rehab like Lindsey Lohan, uh well maybe not like Lindsey. Oh the velvet woes of the rich and famous. Wonder how he’d behave living on a minimum wage?
Cap’t Jack

Two things you Texans need to accomplish: 1. Deport Ted Cruz back to Canada, and his father while you're at it. 2. Ship Ted Nugent back to Detroit. Cap't Jack
I was born, bred, and always lived in Texas. I have remembered the Alamo for over half a century. But I am sick inside at the prevailing political and social senses of the majority of my fellow (voting) Texans. One of the sick ironies related to Ted Cruz is that his father was an illegal Hispanic immigrant to the U.S. The father bribed his way into the country after having been a freedom fighter with Fidel Castro. Now Ted Cruz is instrumental in blocking immigration reform (not to mention his being instrumental in blocking, or trying to turn back, every other possible progressive reform). Ted Cruz is highlighted in the political ads showing on TV every day, now, by Tea-Partyish candidates. (They seem to have all the money for ads.) The Republicans run the show here. We have to show a picture ID to vote now. For all the talk about changing demographics, I fear that the Republicans have and will continue to, so rig the game, that by the time demographics could have an impact on our political system, it will be too little, too late. Ted Nugent, IMO, is a sick perverted joke, (perhaps the victim of some neurological dysfunction caused by cat scratches). Still he and his perspectives seem to be idolized by many.
Maybe he bought GW Shrub's ranch in Crawford. I dunno. Last I heard ole Ted lived somewhere in the southeast, but I don't pay much attention to him so I'm not sure. Seems like he'd fit in right well in Georgia or Alabama, but Crawford would make sense too. That's a ridiculously conservative town. While we're at it, can we send Justin Bieber back to Canada?
IMO, Bieber is the one you shouldn't pay attention to. He is just a kid, and has all the impact of a wildly popular cartoon. Cruz, OTOH, IMO, is a malignancy.
But aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
:lol: :smirk: Now there's another hoot. What a different country America would have been, had Lincoln not been shot and were allowed to have overseen Reconstruction. Those moments in history that can never be recovered. :down: . . . like Reagonmics. . . hey that reminds me, we were talking about the mad men in Canada bent on destroying every last vestige of wilderness weren't we... … those cascading consequences. The insanity of the Tar Sands Project astounds from A to Z. Always has, from the very first hair-brained conceptual scheming. I can't understand how it - along with "that" mentality ever got all that traction. And now it has become this monster destroying the very fabric of what used to be a very enviable country. Not just the natural biosphere we depend on, but the fabric of society. {yea, I know there a plenty of other Canadian issues I don't have a clue about, but they are part and parcel of the same mentality playing the same dirty games.} What drives them? What are they thinking, jezz lordie knows they are not stupid people? What happened to enlighten self interest, like don't destroy the biosphere that is your life support system? It's the same old sad story, the conservatives have convinced everyone the sun won't rise again if we don't keep producing oil in ever increasing amounts no matter the consequences. And they're doing it by consciously ignoring the science. So fear has a big part in it as does greed. Servicing the oil sector is the biggest employer here in Alberta and royalties from oil is one of the main sources of government revenue, so slowing development is seen by many as cutting our own throats. Of course we also had massive flooding in southern Alberta last summer, to the point we've brought the Dutch in to show us how to control too much water too fast. As climate change progresses and the Rocky glaciers melt we're also looking at greatly reduced flow of many of the rivers that most large centers depend on such as the North Saskatchewan here. There's also the possibility that as the Arctic becomes ice free it could lead to chemical changes that would produce greater amount of tropospheric ozone, it's possible Edmonton won't even be habitable in a several decades when you factor in droughts that will almost certainly be part of ongoing climate change. And as you say petro-politics are corrosive to healthy societies, think of Nigeria and Dutch Shell. In our case it's China that will be calling the tune if the oil sands continue to progress. It's pretty much happening on autopilot, no one is really planning ahead and as I've posted our federal government is already engaged in what amounts to a massive cover-up as it suppresses scientists and their work on the effects of what going on. Stupid probably isn't the right term, suicidal probably fits better.
Having a box seat watching the destruction of this country and most likely the extirpation of much of the life on the planet as the result of this and similar "projects" ain't entertaining...unless you think train wrecks are purdy.
I was born, bred, and always lived in Texas. I have remembered the Alamo for over half a century. But I am sick inside at the prevailing political and social senses of the majority of my fellow (voting) Texans.
I can understand the frustration that you and Darron feel in a predominately red State, believe me, I feel your pain here. I did read somewhere however that Texas may be turning more blue of late. Is that true or is someone just blowing smoke? I've always viewed Texas as an ultraconservative State but I have met people from there who were moderate to left of center and hate the "cowboy" image often projected by the media. There's got to be more of you guys down there, it can't be all red! Of course I know more about your history than what's happening now. But as you know full well it's voter apathy that keeps the Perrys and the Kacischs in power. They interviewed some 20 something Obamacare recipients today on NPR and they stated that they didn't really know about it and had No interest in politics. None. This is why John Q is so easily duped by emotional hot button issues and appeals to State pride and super patriotism with a little Jesus thrown in for good measure. Cap't Jack

We’ll find out about Texas turning blue if Wendy Davis manages to beat Greg Abbott in November. If we could convince the Hispanics to get out and vote this state would be more blue than Vermont in no time.

Having a box seat watching the destruction of this country and most likely the extirpation of much of the life on the planet as the result of this and similar "projects" ain't entertaining...unless you think train wrecks are purdy. A dozen or so years ago, I would have said that there was a chance humanity wouldn't make it past 2100, now, I think the real issue is just how we're going to take ourselves out. What really needs to happen is a fundamental shift in human thought. We still have the same weakness that the Greeks are said to have with their democracies: The winner a debate wasn't the person who argued the truth, but the better orator. If someone were able to formulate a style of debate that was easy to learn, but didn't reward people who spewed lies in an appealing manner, that would go long way towards giving us a framework in which to shift us in the right direction. It wouldn't solve everything, of course, but it'd be a start. Provided it caught on with society rapidly.

Its behind a pay wall, but ExxonMobil’s CEO joins suit to block fracking operation near his house.]

Exxon CEO Joins Suit Citing Fracking Concerns
Residents of Dallas Suburb Fight Construction of Tower That Would Provide Water for Drilling

Its behind a pay wall, but ExxonMobil's CEO joins suit to block fracking operation near his house.]
Isn't that great? I always plead that the proponents of nuclear energy should store the nuclear waste in their back garden. For some reason they always seem to refuse... BTW, you can read the article via Google Cache. Wondering when this obvious hole in pay walls gets closed...
Its behind a pay wall, but ExxonMobil's CEO joins suit to block fracking operation near his house.]
Isn't that great? I always plead that the proponents of nuclear energy should store the nuclear waste in their back garden. For some reason they always seem to refuse... BTW, you can read the article via Google Cache. Wondering when this obvious hole in pay walls gets closed... Not even the back garden. They don't want to be within miles of it. And why should they? It''s dangerous and they know it. And they apparently don't mind if hoi polloi are endangered. Nothing new in that attitude, as long as it isn't themselves. Lois

Here is one not behind a pay wall. Exxon CEO opposes fracking water well]. Why? Because it will reduce the value of his $5 million house, of course.

I was born, bred, and always lived in Texas. I have remembered the Alamo for over half a century. But I am sick inside at the prevailing political and social senses of the majority of my fellow (voting) Texans.
I can understand the frustration that you and Darron feel in a predominately red State, believe me, I feel your pain here. I did read somewhere however that Texas may be turning more blue of late. Is that true or is someone just blowing smoke? I've always viewed Texas as an ultraconservative State but I have met people from there who were moderate to left of center and hate the "cowboy" image often projected by the media. There's got to be more of you guys down there, it can't be all red! Of course I know more about your history than what's happening now. But as you know full well it's voter apathy that keeps the Perrys and the Kacischs in power. They interviewed some 20 something Obamacare recipients today on NPR and they stated that they didn't really know about it and had No interest in politics. None. This is why John Q is so easily duped by emotional hot button issues and appeals to State pride and super patriotism with a little Jesus thrown in for good measure. Cap't Jack
Apathy doesn't help, that's for sure. And cynicism is not only a good excuse for apathy, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Thus, would-be-progressively-inclined young people tend not to vote. And there is less apathy, I suspect, among Texas rednecks who have an innate revulsion to there being a black President. I suspect that Tea-party propaganda is a good cover, even for themselves, from a simple seething underlying bigotry. Almost all of the TV ads, now, are Republican, and almost all of those are attacking Obamacare. Then there is the broader masses of regular folk who are simply interested in living their daily lives without burdening themselves with political matters. The only political education they get is what might be thrust on them by political commercials, while they are watching their favorite TV shows. Wendy Davis is the one shining hope, at the moment. You would love her if you met her in person, but, I have not seen whether she can and will be able to mobilize the masses on the broader statewide level, enough, to overcome the entrenched Republican stranglehold on Texas. She has proven that she will not give up even when fighting a losing battle. That's probably not going to be enough. Maybe she would have a chance if there was an influx of money from progressives around the country for her campaign. (Maybe William Travis would have had a chance if Sam Houston had sent reinforcements.) But in this case, the battle of the Alamo, will not likely be followed by a battle of San Jacinto. IOW, I expect no ultimate victory for the "good guys" anytime soon.
A dozen or so years ago, I would have said that there was a chance humanity wouldn't make it past 2100, now, I think the real issue is just how we're going to take ourselves out. What really needs to happen is a fundamental shift in human thought. We still have the same weakness that the Greeks are said to have with their democracies: The winner a debate wasn't the person who argued the truth, but the better orator. If someone were able to formulate a style of debate that was easy to learn, but didn't reward people who spewed lies in an appealing manner, that would go long way towards giving us a framework in which to shift us in the right direction. It wouldn't solve everything, of course, but it'd be a start. Provided it caught on with society rapidly.
I've come to pretty much the same conclusions, there's more than enough people out there that see the problems and we've got more than enough solutions being presented, but the amount of interference is drowning out a coherent response. The conservative Canadian government is an excellent example of this, it supports climate change deniers here, vilifies any politician or activist that advocates taking realistic action and works behind the scenes to sabotage the kind of all-inclusive international agreements that many understand are necessary. I think the truth does prevail in the long term, so the big question now is how close to a non-recoverable threshold are we and not just on climate change. Over fishing, clear cutting rain and temperate forests, industrial farming, urban sprawl and more all feed into a an overall replacement of the natural world with a "normal" human one that is developed to meet the needs of just a few species.
Here is one not behind a pay wall. Exxon CEO opposes fracking water well]. Why? Because it will reduce the value of his $5 million house, of course.
When he is acting as Exxon CEO, not a homeowner, Tillerson has lashed out at fracking critics and proponents of regulation. “This type of dysfunctional regulation is holding back the American economic recovery, growth, and global competitiveness," he said in 2012. Natural gas production “is an old technology just being applied, integrated with some new technologies," he said in another interview. “So the risks are very manageable." In shale regions, less wealthy residents have protested fracking development for impacts more consequential than noise, including water contamination and cancer risk. Exxon’s oil and gas operations and the resulting spills not only sinks property values, but the spills have leveled homes and destroyed regions.
I think this is the definition of destructive self-interest.