Streaming Documentaries Anyone?

1. Do you have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or some other video streaming service?
  2. If yes, do you watch documentaries on whatever streamer you have?
  3. If yes, would you like to discuss what you’ve watched?
    If there is interest we could use this thread to discuss video documentaries. I put this thread in the General Discussion section so that we can explore any topic.
    What say you?
1) Do you have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or some other video streaming service? 2) If yes, do you watch documentaries on whatever streamer you have? 3) If yes, would you like to discuss what you've watched? If there is interest we could use this thread to discuss video documentaries. I put this thread in the General Discussion section so that we can explore any topic. What say you?
My kids aren't very active and my spouse isn't one to encourage activity or healthy eating, so I've been watching the 'food' documentaries on Netflix for ideas on healthy living. They're the ones that warn you off of processed food and sugar and the like. I don't buy into all the propaganda in them, but most of what they say is common sense, so I already thought the same thing. I'm mainly looking for ideas to help get my kids healthy, but other than fear-mongering to them, I haven't found much to use. The most interesting thing I've noticed is that there are a number of the same people in all of the videos, so they are the only experts in the field, the most fanatical, glory hounds, or something- i'm not sure what, but it makes me leery. It's a bit too much of a closed group to drink their kool-aid without lots more investigation. The other kind of documentary I watch are the ones on the Holocaust, Pol Pot, mass murderers and other human tragedies. Some of the holocaust ones are too graphic for me in some places, so I pause for a bit to try and wrap my head around the situation. I was shocked at the amount of footage there is of atrocities happening... who records that kind of stuff????? I don't know why I'm so interested in the darkest and lowest points humans have sunk, but I am. I think it is linked to my interest in religious thinking. STUPID SPAM FILTER!!!

Hi 3Point,
I hear ya. All documentaries are not created equal, that’s for sure. In fact, most of them on the streaming services are pretty much like you describe, low quality melodrama hacks. They have a BUNCH of really crappy UFO documentaries on Amazon.
So one of the reasons for starting this thread was to identity the good shows, which do exist. But we’ll first have to see if anybody else here is using streamers to watch documentaries.

I love documentaries, but you have to realize you are getting just one point of view. There used to be a documentary web site, not sure if it’s around anymore. I found a great history of Islam by Jim Al-Kahlili. Richard Carrier later straightened me out a little bit, but it was pretty accurate.
I just flipped on Netflix the other day and found their new “Nobody Speak”. It connects some rich people, including Trump to an effort to suppress the press, going so far as to buy up newspapers change the staff over to their point of view.

http://curiositystream.com

I love documentaries, but you have to realize you are getting just one point of view.
That's a good point. Agreed, watching any one documentary can distort our understanding. Better to watch lots of them and see it from all sides.
I love documentaries, but you have to realize you are getting just one point of view.
That's a good point. Agreed, watching any one documentary can distort our understanding. Better to watch lots of them and see it from all sides. True true, then after a while you can filter out the nonsense for the substance. Sort of like comparing an ensemble of climate models. ;-P