Strange Republican response

Coastal environments usually have much in common and can accommodate a variety of lifestyles.
Tropical rainforests are the most demanding but in a completely different way than the desert.
The point is that native inhabitants become acclimated and learn to avoid the inherent dangers of those extreme climates.
They become experts in using their habitat.

You don’t show facts about genetics. You correlate to confirm your bias.

Culture doesn’t come from nowhere. Scientists have been studying this for a while and found that our genes (or more accurately biology) produce our culture.

Englishmen, Japanese and Somalis behave differently because their genes are different.

I don’t believe that is true. It is true that no brain is identical to any other brain, but they all function similarly. They are made of the same stuff. All other physical differences are cosmetic adaptions from genetic drift.
Social behavior is “learned” in all Eukaryotic organisms, i.e. every organism.

1 Like

This is a big part of the CFI mission. If you say this, then produce a study. Just an author or an abstract will be fine.

How did you miss the rest of this sentence:

Probably because I’ve been taken care of my mother for two weeks.

The first one says this idea is in its infancy,

Answering this complex question will require integrating many levels of analysis including ecological, sociological, demographic, economic, psychological and biological.

The second one is about meme transmission, that’s an addition to biological evolution,

so that what our brains increasingly got good at was the ability to acquire information, store, process and retransmit this non genetic body of information.

It is true. Some background here and here.

This bit is from the second link:

It’s going to be a little bit more of a complex story. Culture is part of our biology. We now have the neuroscience to say that culture’s in our brain, so if you compare people from different societies, they have different brains. Culture is deep in our biology. We have people with different cultural backgrounds that have different hormonal reactions as well as having different brains on the MRI scan. So culture is just part of our biology, and we shouldn’t take this dualistic view that there’s this realm of ideas that somehow are separate from this realm of biology, and you’re either talking about the realm of ideas or the realm of biology.

You’re doing the thing that your quote says not to do. Read my recent posts on Sapolsky about biology and how it relates to current politics. What I don’t say is that genes create culture. It’s like the chicken and egg, they evolved together.

The studies don’t say

That’s needless hairsplitting. Cultural differences come from biology.

Your quote says it’s not dualistic. I split nothing, you do. Biology and culture are intertwined, not split. Your theory is disproven by every person born in one country and adopted into a different one, a different culture.

Genes give potential, This potential expresses itself or not, in a way or
in another one.

My father was 1 m 74 tall (5,71), i am 1, 85 m tall ( 6, 07) , my brothers are 1, 75 (5, 74) and 1, 72 m tall (5,64). But we share the same genes and we have been raised in the same house, eating the same food.

About the behaviour, the physical environment, the culture in which you are raised, the way you are raised is more important that your genetics.

Besides your culture, there is your sub-culture.

The social level of your parents and the stability of your family are very important.

1 Like

That is a misleading statement.

IOW our brains are the same , but the program is different from cultural exposure. It is clear that once a person lives in another cultural environment, they can easily adapt to the new “rules”, proving the brain is not different but that the environment shapes the mental adaptation.

The saying , “When in Rome, do as the Romans do”, does not require a new or different brain, just new information.

1 Like

What are you talking about? My whole point is that biology and culture is intertwined. With biology ultimately being the mother of culture.

Also, cultural differences do not disappear when one is raised in a foreign culture. These differences stem from our genes and are always there. A Chinese person can be raised in Germany and become Germanized, but they can never be German.

I didn’t get that was your whole point. It’s not how this started.

And you go right back to this. How do you know that these allelles existed in certain parts of the world first, or how much they influenced culture, or when? It’s only a few genes they’ve studied anyway, not exactly a profile of a nation.

The way we are raised stems from our genes. Not to mention every ethnic group has cultural differences that are stable over long periods of time – and are carried with that group if even they settle in another culture. For example, Greek-Americans are much more lively and family oriented than Swedish-Americans, which is exactly what you see in Greece and Sweden.

It’s always a matter of degree. You can’t take a statistically significant characteristic about Greeks and then point to any Greek person and say they have that characteristic. That’s not how statistics work. You can’t take something like country of birth and claim you know anything about an individual based on it.

Yes, the thread has gone far off topic, from talking about values to to diversity to cultural differences.

I don’t know all the details, but the fact that we see these differences means that we are less malleable than we think.

[quote=“thatoneguy, post:117, topic:10729”]
Also, cultural differences do not disappear when one is raised in a foreign culture. These differences stem from our genes and are always there. A Chinese person can be raised in Germany and become Germanized, but they can never be German.

All you are doing is talking about genetic drift of cosmetic genes. But that has nothing to do with brain power. The fusion of Chromosome 2 resulted that all extant humans have the chromosome 2 mutation that set all human offspring apart from our ancestors due to the greater brain capacity .

But brain growth is very similar albeit never identical in all species which means that the brain grows synapses when needed.

Information about the Brain

Myth: The brain does not change.
Reality: The idea that the brain does not change after growth ceases may be the greatest misconception that students have. In actuality, the brain changes throughout life. During embryonic development and early life, the brain changes dramatically. Neurons form many new connections, and some neurons die. However, scientists have discovered that changes in the brain are not restricted to early life.[ 8 ]

Even in the adult brain, neurons continue to form new connections, strengthen existing connections, or eliminate connections as we continue to learn. Recent studies have shown that some neurons in the adult brain retain the ability to divide. 11

Finally, damaged neurons have some capability to regenerate if the conditions are right. The changing nature of the brain is discussed further in Section 7, *Plasticity and Learning.*Information about the Brain - NIH Curriculum Supplement Series - NCBI Bookshelf)

The idea that the brain does not change after growth ceases may be the greatest misconception that students have.

Myth: Learning disabilities are the only manifestation of a problem with brain function.

Reality: Many students will encounter someone who has a learning disability during their school years. For many students, this is their only experience with a brain disorder.

Because many types of neurological diseases (such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease) affect older people, students may not have experience with them. They may not realize that emotional and behavioral conditions such as depression and hyperactivity are also brain disorders.

Students should be aware that diseases of, and injuries to, the brain and nervous system afflict millions of Americans of all ages each year. Although some injuries and diseases are of short duration, others are permanent and disabling. Brain disorders are discussed in Section 8, Nervous System Injury.

Go to:

The Nervous System: Composition and Organization

While our brains control nearly everything we do, the brain does not work alone. The brain is the central part of a complex body system known as the nervous system. The nervous system allows us to respond to the world around us.

Both our involuntary actions, such as our blink reflex to bright light, as well as our voluntary actions, such as choosing to put on sunglasses, can be attributed to our nervous system.

Such a system must necessarily be both complex and extraordinarily well organized to produce the coordinated functions that define human life. How does our nervous system manage to perform its various functions?
Information about the Brain - NIH Curriculum Supplement Series - NCBI Bookshelf

That’s true. But I’m thinking about the traits you’ve attributed to people with brown skin. The studies you link don’t support that.