Stopped Clock

Also I heard that while he was a psychopath his parents helped to nurture those traits in him, so that’s implying that he isn’t entirely to blame for his actions.

I lived in Hollywood and I had all that, the Rolls Royce and the Ferrari and the pad in Beverly Hills. I had the surf board and the Beach Boys and the bishkis and the Neil Diamond and the ramskam and the Jimmy shriffen and the Elvis Presley's best of bestlies and all them guys. The Dean and Martins and the Nancy Sinatras and the goffs and sofrins, "Will you do it to me? I hear you do it good honey" and all that kind of "Will you come up to my house later?" So I went through all that and I seen that was a bigger prison than the one I just got out of and I really didn't care to go back in prison. See, prison doesn't begin and end at the gate. Prison is in the mind. It's locked in one world that's dead and dying, or it's open to a world that's free and alive.

Maybe I should have killed four, five hundred people. Then I would have felt better. Then I would have felt like I really offered society something. (Speaking of war)

If I had a desire, it would be to be free from desire.

They’re looking for something dirty in everything, and if you’re looking for something, you’ll find it. You have to put up some kind of face for them, and that’s the only face they understand.

A baby is born into this world in a state of fear. Total paranoia and awareness. He sees the world with eyes not used yet. As he grows up, his parents lay all this stuff on him. They tell him, when they should be letting him tell them. Let the children lead you.

Anything you see in me is in you. If you want to see a vicious killer, that’s who you’ll see, do you understand that? If you see me as your brother, that’s what I’ll be. It all depends on how much love you have. I am you, and when you can admit that, you will be free. I am just a mirror.

I’m probably one of the most dangerous men in the world if I want to be. But I never wanted to be anything but me.

Have you ever seen the coyote in the desert? Watching, tuned in, completely aware. Christ on the cross, the coyote in the desert — it’s the same thing, man. The coyote is beautiful. He moves through the desert delicately, aware of everything, looking around. He hears every sound, smells every smell, sees everything that moves. He’s in a state of total paranoia, and total paranoia is total awareness.

Death is psychosomatic

I was so smart when I was a kid that I learnt that I was dumb fast.

Will of God… whatever you wanna call it… you call it Jesus, call it Mohammed, call it goobybob, call it nuclear mind, call it blow the world up, call it your heart. Whatever you wanna call it, it’s still music to me. It’s there. It’s the will of life.
Interview by Geraldo Rivera (1981)

I’ve been 15 years in the nut ward, for trying to stop the trees from being cut down, from trying to rearrange the lifestyle of a bunch of people who don’t want to change. But they’re gonna to change because a cold wind is blowing. You’re gonna change or else there’s going to be no life left on the planet Earth.
Interview by Penny Daniels (1989)

We use the word God. God hooks all the other words up. I’m the pope. I’m ten times the pope. I’m sixty times the pope. But I’m the pope in the hills and in the mountains.
Interview by Penny Daniels (1989)

I’m nobody. I’m a tramp, a bum, a hobo. I’m a boxcar and a jug of wine, and a straight razor if you get too close to me.
Interview (1989)

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody’s crazy."

Also reading stuff like this makes it hard for me to just write him off easily. I don’t excuse him for what he did but…

Xain, “stopped clock rule”

Can you explain what that is, in your own words?

Also I heard that while he was a psychopath his parents helped to nurture those traits in him, so that’s implying that he isn’t entirely to blame for his actions.
You mean the environment helps shape the person?

Is anyone entirely to blame for their actions?

Recall that evolutionary biological 'truth' -

“You can not understand an organism without also understanding its environment.”

It’s all fractals ain’t it, and it applies to humans as well as the simplest primordial cells.

Stopped clock as I understand it is that a so called Nutter can have some lucid points despite some of their actions.

Or in a sense part of it is separating the words from the person. Their words may have merit but their actions don’t have to, which leads me to some doubt about Manson. Though it is worth noting that as a psychopath he did manipulate people into following him and as such the quoted parts from the interviews are likely someone else’s words.

But I guess part of me really feels that the monsters of history warrant a closer look. No one is born evil.

This is where I got the topic from and I regretfully read the whole thread.

No time to look it up and I was more interested in your Stopped Clock Rule than revisiting that psychopath.

Guess it’s got something to do with this.

The phrase "stopped clock" (also "broken clock" or "sudden outbreak of common sense"[1]) comes from the proverb "even a stopped clock is right twice a day", thus implying that even cranks, denialists, or conspiracy theorists that are literally wrong at every other time of the day can theoretically be correct once in a while especially in spite of their bad reasoning.
Thanks.