So... how about that Hurricane Patricia?

I try not to over do it with my global warming whining around here, but once in a while I gotta toss one in.

Morano, National Review and pals, this is what global warming looks like. http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2015/10/morano-what-globalwarming-lookslike.html Having watched our climate's slow transformation this past half century has been profoundly heart-breaking. 2015 and we are witnessing our first 200 mph hurricane, from tropical storm to Category 5 hurricane in 24hr, nothing happening in the oceans you tell me. No global warming over the past 18 years? Silly fools, we told you where the heat was going, (just because measuring it is exceedingly difficult doesn't mean it wasn't happening and that it wouldn't certainly come back to haunt us. ~ ~ ~ Oh yeah, I can hear it already: "No single storm is proof of global warming." Nonsense! Every storm is evidence of our changing climate, none is independent of global warming! The success of that tactical misdirection has been astonishing and far reaching. Even serious scientists glommed onto it. But, it's a farce. It ignores the basic physical reality that weather is the tool of our climate and climate is dependent on the composition of our atmosphere. Follow what I'm saying here? Climate is a heat and moisture distribution engine. Weather is the physical tool that does the work of distributing the sun's heat and hot moisture laden air masses that our equatorial belt is constantly churning out. It follows that no weather event is independent of the overarching warming of our weather making engine - so, what's up with all the wishful avoidance? ...
Any thoughts or just more hoo hum. Such a weird position younger people are in these days. Most of them are and will continue to be totally oblivious to what's happening. Making plans decades down the road, as though their world is going to look like the twentieth century. But that is over, we're killing off our oceans, we've warmed up the climate engine and ushered in an era of ever intensifying storm systems, that will wreak havoc on our infrastructure. Our globally connected world is a wonderful thing, instant communication everywhere, travel all those wonders, and most take it all so for granted, how fast that happened. But those years are numbered as infrastructure gets destroyed faster than we can repair it Which brings us back to the younger generations - there's a brutally stark choice facing them that's never ever happened on this planet. Continue believing in fairytales and being washed away with the sand castles. Be aware of what's heading our way, do the best you can, but in the end know you're going down with the system. I know such has happened many times in many places, but this time it's the whole Earth. I would fall into that category - I'm too embedded in the beautiful planet I grew up within, and yes also in it's society, the economic networks that make it function and that so god awful many people take totally for granted. When all that collapses I'm going down. But that's easy for a 60ish guy with a fulfilled life behind him. There will be some who are too young to give up, to care or mourn about what I loved, they will only want to live and survive come hell or high water. There will be a future. In my tramping days, I developed the notion of "weather as the friendly adversary" Being on a boat deck, or countryside, or highway thumbing it, being outside, with the storm giving it all she's got and you just dealing with it and glorying in the experience, ahh that's what makes life worth living. But, that's a wonderful thing of the past, it's what made global navigation and exploration possible. What I mean is that most all of the time the forces being tossed in your face were withstandable by tough men and women. That's changing and the truly destructive, deadly, will become the commonplace. So now we got a big global lottery going on. Who gets hit and who is missed. A few areas will hold their own so to speak, positive outcomes out-balancing negatives, perhaps. But, not many, and it's anyone's guess where they wind up being. One thing is for sure our global society won't survive - though there will be a future for those who understand what's happening well enough, though that will demand understanding serious science. I've been called an idiot by a lot of people for many decades, I gotta ask them folks, can you smell it yet, is it real enough for you yet? What will it take?

tldr
I don’t think young people are acting as if everything will be the same as the 20th century. I think young people today are more aware of the rapid pace of change than any generation before. Also more aware of the destruction of the environment. If you believe wind power is the answer today, you don’t sell everything and go off to a mountain in MT somewhere and find a windmill, you go to school and learn about it and get a job in that industry.

I’m with Lausten about young people. From my interactions I find them more attuned to issues than most people of my generation. I’m not sure how it happened but too many people our age grew up to become science denying ideologues. I may find their music abominable, but most of the younger generation I know are very aware of the problems GW is causing and are doing what they can to convince people we need to take action. That may be because of my recent college experience where the young people I met were self-selected environmentalists, but the point is there are many young people who realize what is happening and care enough to do something about it.

Patricia seems to have fallen apart quickly. I doubt we will be as ‘lucky’ with the next one. Still flooding. Haven’t heard of any deaths. We are ‘supposed’ to have a monster El Nino here in CA this winter. We desperately need the rain/snow, but it sounds a lot like too ‘much of a good thing’ coming our way.

I am a millennial, and the fact is very few of us GAF about climate change. IOW, we ain’t gonna do shit except endure the consequences.

I am a millennial, and the fact is very few of us GAF about climate change. IOW, we ain't gonna do shit except endure the consequences.
I'm sorry to hear that, by the time a FHBG, most likely the planet will be uninhabitable for our species, and Venus will have a twin.
I try not to over do it with my global warming whining around here, but once in a while I gotta toss one in.
Morano, National Review and pals, this is what global warming looks like. http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2015/10/morano-what-globalwarming-lookslike.html Having watched our climate's slow transformation this past half century has been profoundly heart-breaking. 2015 and we are witnessing our first 200 mph hurricane, from tropical storm to Category 5 hurricane in 24hr, nothing happening in the oceans you tell me. No global warming over the past 18 years? Silly fools, we told you where the heat was going, (just because measuring it is exceedingly difficult doesn't mean it wasn't happening and that it wouldn't certainly come back to haunt us. ~ ~ ~ Oh yeah, I can hear it already: "No single storm is proof of global warming." Nonsense! Every storm is evidence of our changing climate, none is independent of global warming! The success of that tactical misdirection has been astonishing and far reaching. Even serious scientists glommed onto it. But, it's a farce. It ignores the basic physical reality that weather is the tool of our climate and climate is dependent on the composition of our atmosphere. Follow what I'm saying here? Climate is a heat and moisture distribution engine. Weather is the physical tool that does the work of distributing the sun's heat and hot moisture laden air masses that our equatorial belt is constantly churning out. It follows that no weather event is independent of the overarching warming of our weather making engine - so, what's up with all the wishful avoidance? ...
Any thoughts or just more hoo hum. Such a weird position younger people are in these days. Most of them are and will continue to be totally oblivious to what's happening. Nothing new about that. Young people are often oblivious. I find, however, that it's mostly older people who are climate change deniers. The younger generation still has a chance to become educated. Making plans decades down the road, as though their world is going to look like the twentieth century. But that is over, we're killing off our oceans, we've warmed up the climate engine and ushered in an era of ever intensifying storm systems, that will wreak havoc on our infrastructure. Our globally connected world is a wonderful thing, instant communication everywhere, travel all those wonders, and most take it all so for granted, how fast that happened. But those years are numbered as infrastructure gets destroyed faster than we can repair it Which brings us back to the younger generations - there's a brutally stark choice facing them that's never ever happened on this planet. Continue believing in fairytales and being washed away with the sand castles. Be aware of what's heading our way, do the best you can, but in the end know you're going down with the system. I know such has happened many times in many places, but this time it's the whole Earth. I would fall into that category - I'm too embedded in the beautiful planet I grew up within, and yes also in it's society, the economic networks that make it function and that so god awful many people take totally for granted. When all that collapses I'm going down. But that's easy for a 60ish guy with a fulfilled life behind him. There will be some who are too young to give up, to care or mourn about what I loved, they will only want to live and survive come hell or high water. There will be a future. In my tramping days, I developed the notion of "weather as the friendly adversary" Being on a boat deck, or countryside, or highway thumbing it, being outside, with the storm giving it all she's got and you just dealing with it and glorying in the experience, ahh that's what makes life worth living. But, that's a wonderful thing of the past, it's what made global navigation and exploration possible. What I mean is that most all of the time the forces being tossed in your face were withstandable by tough men and women. That's changing and the truly destructive, deadly, will become the commonplace. So now we got a big global lottery going on. Who gets hit and who is missed. A few areas will hold their own so to speak, positive outcomes out-balancing negatives, perhaps. But, not many, and it's anyone's guess where they wind up being. One thing is for sure our global society won't survive - though there will be a future for those who understand what's happening well enough, though that will demand understanding serious science. I've been called an idiot by a lot of people for many decades, I gotta ask them folks, can you smell it yet, is it real enough for you yet? What will it take?
The human race has a habit of doing nothing until it's on the brink of disaster. I think it's always been that way. We tend to be in denial and our ability to make fundamental and far reaching changes in the way we live is limited. .
The human race has a habit of doing nothing until it's on the brink of disaster. I think it's always been that way. We tend to be in denial and our ability to make fundamental and far reaching changes in the way we live is limited. .
Sadly, or should I say pathetically, true for a species that feels so superior to ants and termites - yet in the end we're at the same level as those creatures of instinct - and all our brain power has been turned over to merely rationalizing the dictates of our lemming like behavior, rather than trying to rise above our basest instincts. Hmmm, am I mixing metaphors? So we're stuck with determinism and hopelessness, is that it :sick:
I am a millennial, and the fact is very few of us GAF about climate change. IOW, we ain't gonna do shit except endure the consequences.
And whose fault is that? We are the products of those that came before us. ;-)
You can thank evolution for that. It's not humanity's fault that we evolved to be habit-addicted, short term thinking, mental misers. Spend some time reading about research into cognitive biases and fallacies and it all starts making a lot more sense. It doesn't make it any better, but at least you can start to understand some of the baffling idiocy humanity likes to get up to.
You're a lot of things besides a millenial. Your values are much more in line with a guy with a burr haircut from the 50's. Luckily there are quite a few people your age who doing all sorts of shit.
And whose fault is that? We are the products of those that came before us. ;-)That's a very millennial answer! Srsly though, you're right.
You're a lot of things besides a millenial. Your values are much more in line with a guy with a burr haircut from the 50's. Luckily there are quite a few people your age who doing all sorts of shit.Lol, my values are pretty typical of millennials, I'm just more honest about it. And what are these crowds of millennials doing to fight global warming? Internet activism doesn't count.