Should parents be trained and licensed?

So they'd tie up the kids with leashes, make them eat and drink out of bowls on the floor, put them in cages, hit them on the nose with rolled up newspapers (or worse) and train them to relieve themselves outdoors in designated areas. Sounds like great parent training.
No, they would learn to treat their children with respect, encourage them to behave appropriately, award them for proper behavior, and withheld rewards when the children do not behave appropriately. And, yes, they would teach their children where to urinate and defecate. Anyone who uses violence to train a dog is an asshole and should never be allowed to have pets or children.
So they'd tie up the kids with leashes, make them eat and drink out of bowls on the floor, put them in cages, hit them on the nose with rolled up newspapers (or worse) and train them to relieve themselves outdoors in designated areas. Sounds like great parent training.
No, they would learn to treat their children with respect, encourage them to behave appropriately, award them for proper behavior, and withheld rewards when the children do not behave appropriately. And, yes, they would teach their children where to urinate and defecate. Anyone who uses violence to train a dog is an asshole and should never be allowed to have pets or children. I don't think any of the things I listed would be considered abuse pf a dog except by really weird people. How did you housebreak your dogs? How did you stop them from barking or jumping up on people? Did you alllow them free range on all the furniture, including beds? If not, how did you train them to stay off beds and furniture? LL
No, they would learn to treat their children with respect, encourage them to behave appropriately, award them for proper behavior, and withheld rewards when the children do not behave appropriately. And, yes, they would teach their children where to urinate and defecate. Anyone who uses violence to train a dog is an asshole and should never be allowed to have pets or children. I don't think any of the things I listed would be considered abuse pf a dog except by really weird people. How sid you housebreak your dogs? How did you stop them from barking or jumping up on people? Did you allow them free range on all the furniture, including beds? If not, how dod you train them to stay off beds and furniture? LL

You’re being ridiculous, Lois, and quoting yourself. No one is advocating walking children on leashes. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence will realize that my post was a joke. Raising children and training dogs have a lot in common, but the two are different species. The similarity is that both are young, impressionable and don’t know how to behave until they are taught. Corporal punishment is bad behavioral training whether used on children or dogs. Many of us responsible dogs owners consider whacking a dog on the nose with a rolled up newspaper abusive.
Children and dogs both respond much better to loving discipline than to violence. As I said earlier, anyone who resorts to violent training methods is unfit for parenting.

What about keeping the family unit? I mean there is the bit about it taking a village to raise a child. And there are people who have suffered at the hands of their famlies.

An interesting topic to be sure, considering how there are some people who have parents that aren't really in any position to have them. But even then, the logistics and implementation seem almost impossible. That being said, should parents have to be screened/tested in order to have children. http://forbiddentruth.8k.com/childabuse.html The above is apparently some "model" I saw on another message board about how such a thing would be done. To be honest it sounds very tyrannical.
We can't even get gun owners trained and licensed in this country. It would require nothing more than a complete overhaul of the entire system, and even then there is no guarantee that it is even possible. Too much gears to monitor and way too many things can go wrong. Possibly true now that pro gun ideas are entrenched and there are at least three guns for every man woman and child in this country. Fortunately for civilized countries, gun control is in place and those countries have low incidences of firearm deaths and injuries. Statistics prove that the general population of those countries is infinitely safer from gunfire than is the general population of the US. The United States is a lost cause when it comes to protecting the population from gun-toting fools--and they are legion. There is no hope. LL

That seems off track when it comes to my comment regarding families

You're being ridiculous, Lois, and quoting yourself. No one is advocating walking children on leashes. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence will realize that my post was a joke. Raising children and training dogs have a lot in common, but the two are different species. The similarity is that both are young, impressionable and don't know how to behave until they are taught. Corporal punishment is bad behavioral training whether used on children or dogs. Many of us responsible dogs owners consider whacking a dog on the nose with a rolled up newspaper abusive. Children and dogs both respond much better to loving discipline than to violence. As I said earlier, anyone who resorts to violent training methods is unfit for parenting.
It didn't sound like a joke. It was written in the same way as other things you post. I wasn't suggesting violence. But my dogs were not trained the way I trained my kids. I doubt they would have understood "time outs" for instance and they didn't respond to being told in a conversational tone that they were doing something wrong.
That seems off track when it comes to my comment regarding families
It wasn't off track. The comparison between the futility of gun control and the futility government taking over the raising of children is a logical one. If we can't get decent gun control laws passed in this country, how would we ever get laws for the government to take over raising children? How would government do it anyway? They can't even run the foster child system. Maybe they'd send cops out to shoot misbehaving children and bad parents. That should fix the problem.
What about keeping the family unit? I mean there is the bit about it taking a village to raise a child. And there are people who have suffered at the hands of their famlies.
So you think the GOVERNMENT would do a better job?