Service Equity

Like many of you I’m sure, I have kids in college who worked very hard through high school and now college to get top grades, etc. They plan on becoming medical professionals in the US. Obama yesterday told us how important it is to the US for it to have trained professionals. He mentioned engineers, researchers, etc. but his point was: we need college grads. (And every president says the same thing, so it’s not really an Obama thing). We need college grads to give service to our country and make it better.
Ok, then why is tuition charged? Does the Army charge tuition for kids who enlist to “serve their country” after high school? Are the POTUSes saying only people in the military serve their country?
I think there should be a movement for Service Equity.

Like many of you I'm sure, I have kids in college who worked very hard through high school and now college to get top grades, etc. They plan on becoming medical professionals in the US. Obama yesterday told us how important it is to the US for it to have trained professionals. He mentioned engineers, researchers, etc. but his point was: we need college grads. (And every president says the same thing, so it's not really an Obama thing). We need college grads to give service to our country and make it better. Ok, then why is tuition charged? Does the Army charge tuition for kids who enlist to "serve their country" after high school? Are the POTUSes saying only people in the military serve their country? I think there should be a movement for Service Equity.
Agree, wholeheartedly, but it will never happen with this selfish, conservative Congress. They are too busy passing laws to protect te wealthy. That's all that matters. Lois

It’s extremely important to make it harder for the average person to get a good education if we are going to get a functioning plutocracy. We can’t have thinking people who make good wages and become a large middle class if we hope to maintain a subservient, undeducated, low pay workforce to support the 1% wealthy at the top.
Occam

It's extremely important to make it harder for the average person to get a good education if we are going to get a functioning plutocracy. We can't have thinking people who make good wages and become a large middle class if we hope to maintain a subservient, undeducated, low pay workforce to support the 1% wealthy at the top. Occam
How do we get that across to people who refuse to accept that it shouldn't be every person for himself and that any success they might have had came only from their own ideas and work? Lois
It's extremely important to make it harder for the average person to get a good education if we are going to get a functioning plutocracy. We can't have thinking people who make good wages and become a large middle class if we hope to maintain a subservient, undeducated, low pay workforce to support the 1% wealthy at the top. Occam
Excellent point. I was just reading about Marx, and the author asked "How do capitalists keep exploiting the workers?" His answer, keep them unaware. I'm sure we can tick off several ways to do that: keep them uneducated, keep them entertained (WWF anyone?, culture of sports hero worship, etc), keep them marginally happy with "stuff".
Like many of you I'm sure, I have kids in college who worked very hard through high school and now college to get top grades, etc. They plan on becoming medical professionals in the US. Obama yesterday told us how important it is to the US for it to have trained professionals. He mentioned engineers, researchers, etc. but his point was: we need college grads. (And every president says the same thing, so it's not really an Obama thing). We need college grads to give service to our country and make it better. Ok, then why is tuition charged? Does the Army charge tuition for kids who enlist to "serve their country" after high school? Are the POTUSes saying only people in the military serve their country? I think there should be a movement for Service Equity.
Agree, wholheartedly, but it will never happen with this selfish, conservative Congress. They are too busy passing laws to protect te wealthy. That's all that matters. LoisBut it never even came close with a Democratic controlled congress either. I think it's a cultural problem...education is actually looked down upon, whereas soldiering is looked up to.
Agree, wholeheartedly, but it will never happen with this selfish, conservative Congress. They are too busy passing laws to protect te wealthy. That's all that matters. LoisBut it never even came close with a Democratic controlled congress either. I think it's a cultural problem...education is actually looked down upon, whereas soldiering is looked up to. Good point, but Democrats can at least talk a good game. Too bad they're such wimps. Lois
I don't know? :gulp: I see being a medical professional as a service to the community you practice medicine in, but not to the country as a whole. It's far from similar to uniformed service. However, I agree that college tuition is simply to expensive! My view is that colleges are businesses dressed in something more "noble" - that's why they get away with it.
I see being a medical professional as a service to the community you practice medicine in, but not to the country as a whole. It's far from similar to uniformed service.
But I think that's part of the hypocrisy of American culture. It's the UNITED States of America and yet everyone seems to define themselves by their state, and even further by their city/community. You hear: I'm proud to be an American, oh and by the way, I'm not paying a dime in taxes just so that kid in that other state can go to MY town's university. Who's to say by my helping a person in my community financially let's say, they might turn around and donate money to a fund for say hurricane victims in New Orleans. Helping local helps global/country wide.