Reversible death will freak the shit out of Christians

@TimB said,

I wonder if cremation is best after death. At least no one will be trying to make a zombie out of you.

I’m going for a green burial. The worms go in the worms go out…

@teebryantoo I’m glad I’m not the only one terrified of what could happen. I don’t want to exist in a vegetative state, personally. It seems worse than death to me.

Yeah, long ago I became a cremate me guy, but recently reading up on it, turned out not to be such a neat idea in a few respects - I’d go for the green burial now.

However, my body is already reserved for medical research and when they are done with it, they cremate what’s left as a matter of practice - makes return postage so much less expensive don’t you know.

Tee, you disappoint. Istock quotes - they are a dime a dozen.

Pigs & Immortality: A Step Towards Reversing Death
There was another headline. Immortality. Reversing Death.

Do you trust every headline you read?

I don’t, but you know I found your topic interesting enough to spend some serious time reading those articles and thinking on it and sharing my thoughts, guess you didn’t notice that part.

Hmmm

@citizenschallengev3

Tee, you disappoint. Istock quotes – they are a dime a dozen.

Pigs & Immortality: A Step Towards Reversing Death

There was another headline. Immortality. Reversing Death.
Do you trust every headline you read?

I’m sorry to be dumb, but I honestly don’t see what you are getting at here. ???

1. No. I don’t “believe every headline I read.” Do I seem that way?

2. I don’t know what “Istock quotes – they are a dime a dozen” means. iStock is “a source of of exclusive, royalty-free, stock photos, images, and videos.” IStock doesn’t provide quotes. The word “iStock” there simply credits the source of the photo of a grave. It has nothing to do with the cutline beneath the photo.

3. The headline accurately describes the article, given that it must do so within a very limited number of characters. The article says:

But what exactly is death?

The answer is complicated, suggests neuroscientist Christof Koch. In “Is Death Reversible?” a feature article in the most recent issue of Scientific American, Koch grapples with a death definition that is much more nuanced than you might think.

Koch tracks a shifting concept of death, from the cessation of breathing to the end of brain activity. And, he suggests, the modern medical definition is being shaken by new scientific developments.

…seems to point to death as a process, not an event, and raises the possibility that one day scientists will be able to completely revive a dead brain.

That’s what Koch thinks. The writer of the headline isn’t proclaiming anything.

1. The word “immortality” does not appear in the Post article. “Immortality” and “reversable death” are two entirely different things:
Immortality is eternal life, being exempt from death, unending existence.
Saying that death could be "reversed" in no way implies "immortality." Reversing death doesn't mean the thing will never die. The term is in the Harvard header, incorrectly, but not in the Post.
  1. I used “reversable death” in the title of my OP, from the article. I added the reference to Christians tongue-in-cheek because this is a skeptics forum.

2. I scanned the article, thought the topic was interesting, and posted it here. I typed the headline of the article, because thumbnails don’t always come up. I didn’t think I was making a judgement or a claim simply by including the headline … which, by the way, is an accurate portrayal of what the article is about, and that’s all a headline has to be.

If I have to vouch for the scientific accuracy of the headline of scientific articles I post, I guess I need to stop posting.

I feel like I’m being ridiculed, and I don’t know why.

I just read about a creature on Earth like nothing else. It’s affectionately known as “the blob”. It is alive, but it’s not plant, animal or fungus. It is a single cell organism, but it is not microscopic. It has no organs, no brain and no nervous system, but it can learn. It can heal from being cut in half in about 2 minutes. You can teach it something, then touch it to another one of its kind. They will combine and both will “know” what the one learned. It is essentially immortal, fearing only sunlight and drought. And it eats just like the blob from the movie did, by spreading out across a thing and dissolving it, though much more slowly than it did in the movie. It made the news because someone put one in a zoo. I so want one.

So, yeah, immortality is a thing on Earth, apparently. And the blob doesn’t have to die to get it. Seriously, how is that not the stupidest thing ever to every person on earth? “I’m going to make you live forever!..after you die…some restrictions apply…not valid with any other offer”

I don’t understand the appeal in living forever. I don’t understand why it ever caught on as the “carrot” in Christianity. Even when I was a Christian, I feared hell but I didn’t care to go to an eternal heaven, either. No matter how blissful, the idea of not being able to escape it sent shivers down my spine.

Turns out there is a name for it:

Just to play eternity’s advocate, I would say that, with it, you would seem to have plenty of time to get used to it.

I was considering donating my body to science...
I just noticed this quote. My wife has instructions to absolutely donate my corpse to whomever will haul it away for free. The funeral industry preys on the grief stricken and laws exist to help them do it. There are literally laws with no purpose other than to prop up the funeral industry. In Iowa all burials require a vault, even for cremated remains, which are legal to spread on open land.

It’s not like the corpse is me any more. Load it in the back of a truck and if it just happens to fall out in a ditch somewhere, oh well. You’re not going to prove to me how much you loved me by spending tens of thousands of dollars to dispose of what is literally the garbage left over after I’m dead.