Religion declining

Here’s the surest sign that religion is on the decline. GOP boycotts Pope] This clown says he’s a Catholic but treats the Pope, the uh, top dog and right hand of God on earth, treats him like just another schmo.

Religion may be on the decline, but I think this is political idiocy as much as Catholics losing their faith. If this clown weren’t both a Republican and a politician, he’d probably at least hear Francis out.

Here are 10 more reasons. I find articles like this to be very uplifting. :slight_smile:
10 Ways Right-Wing Christians Are Destroying Christianity]

Here are 10 more reasons. I find articles like this to be very uplifting. :-) 10 Ways Right-Wing Christians Are Destroying Christianity]
Thanks for posting. Excellent article.

Religion is declining, but this specific event with the Pope isn’t an indicator, this was merely conservatives believing the Popes policies and ideas do not align with the GOP.

I am not sure religion is declining much. Christianity seems to be declining. Just in the last couple of months I have run into people who are now into the weirdest beliefs, stuff I have never heard of before. And the common denominator seems to be the internet. An example is a lady I know plans her day based upon a website that works with numbers that are based upon your birthdate. She got into this after giving up on Christianity.

From what I have personally seen, I would have to say it is in decline. When I was a kid, oh so many years ago, the majority of families in my neighborhood went to church on Sunday. If you were a follower of a certain religion, there were certain “truths" you believed in.
I know very few people who regularly go to church on Sunday’s anymore. And I know very few people who buy into all the dogma of whatever religion it is they claim to follow (I was raised a Catholic and I don’t know anyone who has not practiced some form of birth control; I went to school with a lot of 10 children families and now that is a rarity).
True, there are people who switch religions and get into numerology and other oddities, but I think it is less because they are religious and more because they are searching for some guiding principles for their life. Something the religions that pre-date the middle ages can no longer provide.
The most fertile ground for expanding religions is where there is poverty and ignorance.
My observations.

Hasn’t religion been declining ever since the Enlightenment Period? I haven’t seen it charted out for that large amount of time, but I am sure it would be a continual decline with small spikes during times of national crisis (if we’re talking about the U.S.). The internet age has just sped it up because of access to information and availability–it’s unique now because there really is no socioeconomic class that is exempt.

Religion is only declining in the West. Its increasing or stable everywhere else in the world, with Islam as the fastest growing religion. (The future belongs to Islam, it seems).

The spread of Islam is directly related to my statement: The most fertile ground for expanding religions is where there is poverty and ignorance.

Here are 10 more reasons. I find articles like this to be very uplifting. :-) 10 Ways Right-Wing Christians Are Destroying Christianity]
Maybe we should all be grateful to right-wing Christians. They are doing the world a favor. Can we find something to destroy Islam? Lois