Random Thoughts Thread.

This thread is a very laid back, expectationless thread. Whatever you’re thinking about or doing, share it here. It doesn’t have to be on topic or deep. Not every conversation needs to be heavy, so relax and chat it up!
I’ll start,
I’m excited because there are World-Challenge races this weekend and I’ve really missed watching my races! And Sunday is supposed to be 61F here in MN, so I’m going to wash my track car and do some car mods and hopefully some grilling and relaxing outside!

My weekend events are only that I’ll go to a CFI discussion group in Santa Monica this evening and enjoy myself except for the poor food at the restaurant/meeting place. Then, tomorrow attend a memorial party (wake?) for the wife of a good friend, who died a few weeks ago.
Occam

Aw man, I try to begin a light-hearted chat thread and your first post is mentioning a wake? You’ll killin’ me. (No pun intended)

Hey, just because it’s a wake doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy ourselves. She was a bright woman who lived a long life, unexpectedly, since she was strongly oriented toward herbal medicine.
Occam

OK here’s some randomness. Why are peas green? I mean they are inside a pod without much exposure to the sun at all.
Why bother making all that chlorophyll to turn them green when they can’t use it at all? Is it just a peer pressure thing? The pea just says, “Hey everything else around here is green and I don’t want to stand out so I’m going to be green too”? Or maybe it’s just laziness. The plant knows how to make chlorophyll and doesn’t want to waste the time and effort making a whole new pigment for something that’s just going to end up in the dirt anyway.

Excellent question, Mac, but then from some people I’ve read about I can’t figure why their bodies bothered making a brain for inside their skulls. :lol:
Occam

OK here's some randomness. Why are peas green? I mean they are inside a pod without much exposure to the sun at all. Why bother making all that chlorophyll to turn them green when they can't use it at all? Is it just a peer pressure thing? The pea just says, "Hey everything else around here is green and I don't want to stand out so I'm going to be green too"? Or maybe it's just laziness. The plant knows how to make chlorophyll and doesn't want to waste the time and effort making a whole new pigment for something that's just going to end up in the dirt anyway.
Kermit says it isn't easy being green. Lois

Just saw this and nearly face-palmed my head off.

OK here's some randomness. Why are peas green? I mean they are inside a pod without much exposure to the sun at all. Why bother making all that chlorophyll to turn them green when they can't use it at all? Is it just a peer pressure thing? The pea just says, "Hey everything else around here is green and I don't want to stand out so I'm going to be green too"? Or maybe it's just laziness. The plant knows how to make chlorophyll and doesn't want to waste the time and effort making a whole new pigment for something that's just going to end up in the dirt anyway.
Maybe because the skin of the plant is too thin, almost transparent? Were it any thicker, the peas could be a different colour. But the plant invested its energy in form of chlorophyll in the seeds instead of growing a thicker skin.

60F yesterday. Talk of snow these next couple days. Oh merciful snow deity (I’m sure there is one), why doth thou pimp slap thy homestead?

I think it’s hilarious when my cat gets winded and has to lie down. Also, I really want some nachos.

I love quotes, but I hate when quotes use wordplay to circle back on themselves to seem deep; they really irk me.

The girlfriend and I worked on my car over the weekend!

Thunderstorms in Texas. Snow in Oklahoma this morning. I love spring. :slight_smile:

Snow in the Ohio Valley tomorrow with the temp at 29 degrees, down from 73 today. Yeah, Spring has sprung indeed.
Cap’t Jack

There are some MeetUp.com meet ups near me, and one of them is Feminist Workshop. I want to go, because I think I have a pretty good perspective on the subject of feminism, genderistic topology and societal pressures. But, this group is comprised almost exclusively of women, which is to be expected. But, I feel guilty because I just suspect that they will just wind up thinking they’re talking about equality, but really are talking about special treatment. An example is saying they still expect the man to pay for meals and do yard work because they’re guys, but they don’t want any genderistic expectations placed on them. Now, I understand the hypocrisy that I’m flirting with here by presuming this is what I’d be dealing with, it’s just that that’s how It tends to go when talking feminism with women; they tend to want chivalry more than feminism. I’d likely bring a notebook and make a few columns: Hypocrisies, ad hominem, post hoc ergo proctor hoc, circular rationality. I’d see if what they were saying fell into these columns of rational disapproriation. Is this wrong of me? I know I wont know if I’m right until I actually go, but I can’t help but come to this preconception.

There are some MeetUp.com meet ups near me, and one of them is Feminist Workshop. I want to go, because I think I have a pretty good perspective on the subject of feminism, genderistic topology and societal pressures. But, this group is comprised almost exclusively of women, which is to be expected. But, I feel guilty because I just suspect that they will just wind up thinking they're talking about equality, but really are talking about special treatment. An example is saying they still expect the man to pay for meals and do yard work because they're guys, but they don't want any genderistic expectations placed on them. Now, I understand the hypocrisy that I'm flirting with here by presuming this is what I'd be dealing with, it's just that that's how It tends to go when talking feminism with women; they tend to want chivalry more than feminism. I'd likely bring a notebook and make a few columns: Hypocrisies, ad hominem, post hoc ergo proctor hoc, circular rationality. I'd see if what they were saying fell into these columns of rational disapproriation. Is this wrong of me? I know I wont know if I'm right until I actually go, but I can't help but come to this preconception.
Why not go in with an open mind instead of looking for red herrings?

Yeah, you’re right. I guess I’m just being ignorant.
I’m sorry, I don’t understand the red herring phrase, though. Is my age showing here?

C.E., I realize that you wrote this off-line then lifted it as a copy to enter as your post. However, the problem is that your word processer has a much wider print field than here, so about 40% of each line is off-screen so one has to keep scrolling back and forth to read each line. If the post is more than a few lines long, I get bored and only skim to assure no spam or attacks. Then I don’t bother responding. Just for fun, why don’t you go back, hit edit, and put in a line break about halfway through each line? That way members can read the post much more easily.
Occam

Never mind. Brain fart on my end. I meant straw women, as a play on words off the straw man logical fallacy.