Pope says you are not allowed to insult or make fun of faith

That would be a very convenient rule, if everyone in the world would follow it, for the sake of the Catholic Church. It’s crimes against children would have an even more effective cover. They could do all sorts of nasty things (and the Catholic Church has historically done some very nasty things) while their hypocrisy, and piety, in the name of deciding to believe in a superstition, would keep them off limits for certain types of criticism that might effectively embarrass them.
No, Pope. I don’t like your rule. If Catholics follow it, that’s their business. But you don’t get to make the rules for the rest of us.
Oh, and BTW, bad time to make the rule, while also talking about people murdering in the name of faith. (It makes it seem like making fun of faith is equivalent to the crime of murdering in the name of faith.)
Also, with your example, about punching your aide, if he cursed your mama, you seem to be suggesting that a murderous reaction to having one’s faith insulted, is a reflexive action.
Oh Francis, you were doing so well. Why’d you have to screw it up?

This one seems almost unreal, but I saw him standing there, even making the punching motion. “Turn the other cheek” is one of the best known and somewhat unique Christian precepts, I don’t know how he arrived at that statement. This is the classic religious leader dilemma, when you are attacked, your religion has rules about reacting peacefully, but in some cases, a response is appropriate or you know your congregation is mad and wants a response. This is one of those times leadership is so important. A Pope has had to have considered this scenario, but no, all’s he got is, “if you say something about my momma, you gonna get a punch.”

Really. Francis, of all people, should know the answer to: WWJD?

So the Pope has declared that one of the limits of free speech is that people’s faith cannot be made fun of. He says it is a natural reaction for someone whose faith beliefs have been insulted to react violently on some level, though he does add that the reaction cannot be killing the “provocateur”. Provocateur is his label for persons who make fun of religions.
I guess we should start expecting to get punched by Catholics if we say something that offends their religious sensibilities.
Since the Pope has lain out the lines of demarcation for reacting physically violently, to some degree, short of murder (which he views as an “aberration”, i.e., an un-natural reaction), when one feels offended by someone else’s expression re: religious beliefs, what level of physical violence would be natural for atheists to partake in, if we feel that our non-belief in gods has been offended? I am asking because I take offense at his calling people who make fun of religion, provocateurs. Clearly, he is provoking comedians and satirists by saying such a thing. Should they blow paper spit-balls at him? Perhaps a pie in the face? By the Pope’s own reasoning, it would only seem “natural”, to do so.

I suggest that an atheist’s core belief system is such that religious beliefs, in general, seem quite ridiculous. Thus it would seem “natural”, I think, for atheists to make fun of religious beliefs. One might even say that it is a “natural” part of an atheist’s belief system, to practice his non-belief, by making fun of religions. The Pope has claimed that this can no longer be acceptable. So it seems to me, that the Pope is trying to deny atheists their practice of their non-belief system, by claiming that free speech cannot include such a thing.
And atheists are not the only group, whose right of free speech would be limited by the Pope’s rule. If his rule is in effect, no one of any religion should be allowed to “provocatively” suggest or claim that their particular beliefs are in any way superior to anyone else’s belief system, as this could be offensive to a person of some other faith. The key word here is “provocation”.
The use of humor, I think is under attack.
I really don’t want the world of mankind to lose the use of humor, simply because people of faith sometimes find it insulting, to the point of provoking them to “naturally” reacting with some level of physical violence.

TimB: Nice monologue, you’ve got going on here, TimB.
TimB: Oh thanks… Hey are you being sarcastic?
TimB: Oh nooo. I would neeeh-ver be sarcastic with someone with such obviously clear thinking skills, as you.
TimB: You are being sarcastic! You are purposely trying to provoke me. I should smack you!
TimB: Oooh, I’m so es-scared… such an advocate of non-violence is going to smack me… Please. …Just shut up and wait for someone to reply to your, oh so, cogent and interesting points. phhh!
TimB: I should just “naturally” react and smack you, but I guess I would only be hurting myself. But you better not say anything about my mama.
TimB: Like I said, TimB, just shut up. Maybe Lausten will feel sorry for you and post a one-liner reply.
TimB: F U, TimB.

Well yea, pretty weird statement.
Ironically, right wing catholics are saying this Pope is doing exactly that to “their” church and faith.
I like to think he didn’t think that one through enough

TimB: Nice monologue, you've got going on here, TimB. TimB: Oh thanks... Hey are you being sarcastic? …. TimB: Like I said, TimB, just shut up. Maybe Lausten will feel sorry for you and post a one-liner reply. TimB: F U, TimB.
First thing you got to get over is your faith in humanity. Think people give damned. Nah, let's go to the movies.

Brian Dalton tees off on Pope Frankie. WARNING! Not safe for work.
The Way of the Mister: F*** The Pope!]
Then today Frankie said gay marriage is destroying god’s plan, turning 180 degrees from his earlier statements. I’m with Mr. Deity. This pope is a “simple-minded, mouth-breathing provocateur.” Eff him, his church and their stunning hypocrisy.

Brian Dalton tees off on Pope Frankie. WARNING! Not safe for work. The Way of the Mister: F*** The Pope!] Then today Frankie said gay marriage is destroying god's plan, turning 180 degrees from his earlier statements. I'm with Mr. Deity. This pope is a "simple-minded, mouth-breathing provocateur." Eff him, his church and their stunning hypocrisy.
F***in A!
TimB: Nice monologue, you've got going on here, TimB. TimB: Oh thanks... Hey are you being sarcastic? …. TimB: Like I said, TimB, just shut up. Maybe Lausten will feel sorry for you and post a one-liner reply. TimB: F U, TimB.
First thing you got to get over is your faith in humanity. Think people give damned. Nah, let's go to the movies. For me, it's not about faith in humanity. I completely recognize that humanity is FUBAR in a lot of ways. But I also recognize that humanity is, also, (for lack of a better word) glorious, in a lot of ways. So I don't have faith in humanity. But I do have hope for humanity. My extraordinarily weird self-post was more about wanting dialogue (and also obscurely embedding various points). And I like the dialogue, not because I expect anything to come of it, but because, I still hope the best for my fellow humans, in general, now and in the future. But I do also, enjoy going to the movies occasionally.
http://news.yahoo.com/paris-attacks-pope-speaks-against-insulting-religions-121551202--sector.html That would be a very convenient rule, if everyone in the world would follow it, for the sake of the Catholic Church. It's crimes against children would have an even more effective cover. They could do all sorts of nasty things (and the Catholic Church has historically done some very nasty things) while their hypocrisy, and piety, in the name of deciding to believe in a superstition, would keep them off limits for certain types of criticism that might effectively embarrass them. No, Pope. I don't like your rule. If Catholics follow it, that's their business. But you don't get to make the rules for the rest of us. Oh, and BTW, bad time to make the rule, while also talking about people murdering in the name of faith. (It makes it seem like making fun of faith is equivalent to the crime of murdering in the name of faith.) That would fit in perfectly with the Catholic Church's history. They did plenty of murdering and torturing in the name of their faith. Also, with your example, about punching your aide, if he cursed your mama, you seem to be suggesting that a murderous reaction to having one's faith insulted, is a reflexive action. Oh Francis, you were doing so well. Why'd you have to screw it up?
It was inevitable.
Brian Dalton tees off on Pope Frankie. WARNING! Not safe for work. The Way of the Mister: F*** The Pope!] Then today Frankie said gay marriage is destroying god's plan, turning 180 degrees from his earlier statements. I'm with Mr. Deity. This pope is a "simple-minded, mouth-breathing provocateur." Eff him, his church and their stunning hypocrisy.
F***in A! If gay marriage is destroying god's plan, what does that say about god's omnipotence? Who would have thought his plan could be so easily destroyed by his own creations? Lois
If gay marriage is destroying god's plan, what does that say about god's omnipotence? Who would have thought his plan could be so easily destroyed by his own creations? Lois
Screw god's plan. According to Christians everything that happens is part of god's plan including children dying of cancer, tsunamis killing hundreds of thousands of people, tornadoes tearing towns apart and... wait minute. If everything that happens is part of god's plan then we have no free will, which takes away the Christian argument for our need of salvation. If gay marriage is not part of god's plan yet happens anyway then god is not omnipotent. Geez. Christian beliefs make no sense when you think about them.
If gay marriage is destroying god's plan, what does that say about god's omnipotence? Who would have thought his plan could be so easily destroyed by his own creations? Lois
Screw god's plan. According to Christians everything that happens is part of god's plan including children dying of cancer, tsunamis killing hundreds of thousands of people, tornadoes tearing towns apart and... wait minute. If everything that happens is part of god's plan then we have no free will, which takes away the Christian argument for our need of salvation. If gay marriage is not part of god's plan yet happens anyway then god is not omnipotent. Geez. Christian beliefs make no sense when you think about them. Any rational person wouldn't have to think about them very much to come to that conclusion. Lois

I found his whole comment insulting and outrageous given the murder of people based on hate and religious extremism.
This is what I heard him saying, “We don’t like it when people are mean and we aren’t saying it’s OK to be mean but if you do things, people will be mean and that’s sort of your fault for doing things that make people want to be mean (sort of) but we are not saying it’s OK to do that.”
More nonsense. I’m not the least bit surprised. This coming from the same outrageous bunk that Cardinal Burke said about women. Feminism is the reason that priests abused kids. See us radical women make men feel weak and those weak men became priests. So… feminists are the reason that children were sexually abused. Gibberish and outrage, that’s
my take.
If you talk in circles long enough, the dizziness will make you believe it.

Screw god's plan. According to Christians everything that happens is part of god's plan including children dying of cancer, tsunamis killing hundreds of thousands of people, tornadoes tearing towns apart and... wait minute. If everything that happens is part of god's plan then we have no free will, which takes away the Christian argument for our need of salvation. If gay marriage is not part of god's plan yet happens anyway then god is not omnipotent. Geez. Christian beliefs make no sense when you think about them. It really blew up for me when my son's death was part of some cosmic plan. I decided that even I could create a better plan that wouldn't involve death so how smart is this god anyway? I was told to pray. Why? If God has a plan and he's only going to do what he wants anyway, why bother? I love George Carlin's take on that topic. When you lay it out, it's totally absurd and makes no sense at all.