Phred Phelps Rumored Dead

I’m probably jinxing things, but here goes. A poster on another board I frequent lives not too far from the WBC. According to him, Phelps hasn’t been seen in some time, and prior to his disappearing from public view, Phelps’ appearance was changed

he lost a lot of weight, looking thin and haggard. He used to wear shorts in public, then he started wearing long pants, long sleeved shirts, really covering up.
As to why there hasn't been mention of this in the media
the family wants to deprive people of the chance to "pay respects" So I'm really thinking he's dead. Since death certificates are not public record, and of course obituaries not a requirement, he could just slip off of the radar. Even if he died under medical care, the doctor is not allowed to speak about his patient.

Turns out he’d been excommunicated from his church, but his son, who fled the church nearly 40 years ago is saying that Phelps is in hospice near death.]

“I’ve learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the “God Hates Fags" Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the “church" back in August of 2013. He is now on the edge of death at Midland Hospice house in Topeka, Kansas.
I’m not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.
I feel sad for all the hurt he’s caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I’m bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes."

I’m not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.
God's are like that.

It’s ironic really. The far right claim that marriage equality (gay marriage) will destroy the family unit. In this case, it seems religious idiology has distroyed this far right family.
I wonder if his funeral will be picketed. Personally, I believe he and his group have inadvertently done more to advance gay rights than many gay rights organizations. Best to let him go in silence and pass away with a quiet whimper.

Agreed. As Russell said, the key to the golden rule is knowing that it is your move.

I agree with you too, Handyman. Let him pass away in silence. No need to give him or his family more publicity. Deafen them with silence.

The WBC will still be active when he’s gone, since they appear to be agent provocateurs motivated by financial gain.

I read about this on the “Morning Heresy” site here. I don’t think his death will have any affect on the hate group because that’s the very thing that keeps the together. According to the article his daughter is taking up the flaming cross.I ran into this group once and they’re a scary bunch of yokels
Cap’t Jack

He’s dead!]

Fred Phelps, a former street preacher who led a family ministry that raged against what he perceived as a morally bankrupt society, died Thursday. His legacy of picketing funerals of military veterans and disaster victims, promoting coarse language to condemn conduct he viewed as amoral, and waging legal battles that protected his actions under the First Amendment, earned him an international reputation of a man’s whose absolute conviction was never swayed in the face of widespread contempt.
Can’t say that I’m sorry to see him go.

He's dead!]
Fred Phelps, a former street preacher who led a family ministry that raged against what he perceived as a morally bankrupt society, died Thursday. His legacy of picketing funerals of military veterans and disaster victims, promoting coarse language to condemn conduct he viewed as amoral, and waging legal battles that protected his actions under the First Amendment, earned him an international reputation of a man’s whose absolute conviction was never swayed in the face of widespread contempt.
Can't say that I'm sorry to see him go.
I'm not either, but I have to admit he did a lot to open people's eyes to the malignancy of bigotry against gays.

It’s not a rumor, he is dead. His estranged son, Nathan, was interviewed on television. He said he had not seen his father for 35 years.
Lois

It's not a rumor, he is dead. His estranged son, Nathan, was interviewed on television. He said he had not seen his father for 35 years. Lois
If you'll check the date on the first post, you'll see that this thread is nearly a year old.

I’m neither happy nor sad that he’s dead. The way I figure it, since he taught hate to his family et al, the hate will still continue. His death probably won’t change much of anything with his family church.