Hi, Okalahoma atheist incomming!

Hi, MzLee here.
I’m originally from Kansas City, Ks. but I live in Oklahoma (they haven’t run me out yet) now/still mostly because my daughter and my grandsons are here. My son lives in Louisiana.
I’ve always been an atheist, never believed, never read the bible, realized when my aunt took me to Sunday school at the UU church when I was 6 or 7 that the bible stories were not real. Questioned them in class repeatedly and after a couple of weeks of my skepticism they asked her to not bring me back until I could “behave” (not question authority) better. So we quit going altogether. My parents were not officially religious but my mother claimed to be baptized so she thought she was go to go.
As I grew up and tried to explore religion by going to a variety of churches to see what was the draw. My explorations only served to solidify my non-belief. My aunt, when she became ill, confided in me that “life is all we have, don’t waste it” before she died. I raised my kids to question everything and take nothing for granted. They are agnostic (daughter) and atheist (son) both reasoned and critical thinkers. :slight_smile:
I live in Claremore and I’m an Admin. Asst. in the aerospace industry. Was married thirty years, now divorced. I’ve been a quiet atheist until about 3 yrs ago. I neither confirmed nor denied any faith to others, other than my family. I was raised that ones faith or lack thereof is personal and not just anyone’s and everyone’s business so coming to OK was a bit of a culture shock. :bug: I realized 3 years ago that religion was taking over politics and working to become a religious state in our country and I am not quiet anymore.
If you have any questions or advice for navigating this fo, hit me up with a message!
Enjoy your day, :slight_smile:
Lee

Welcome Lee! I share your concern for the religious dogma being inserted into our laws and institutions. There was already enough before. I kinda think that the reason it is happening more overtly now is because, they feel threatened by social trends that indicate they are loosing their grip on our “Christian Country”. The truth is, the country is moving closer to the high ideals our forefathers wrote into the constitution. I firmly believe they will be on the wrong side of history, but that doesn’t mean I don’t feel strongly about helping to speed that process along.
This is a very good place to find like minded people and still interact with people from other points of view. Much better than forums where everyone must adopt the views of the administrators or be banished.
Again, welcome,
Danny

Hi, MzLee here. I'm originally from Kansas City, Ks. but I live in Oklahoma (they haven't run me out yet) now/still mostly because my daughter and my grandsons are here. My son lives in Louisiana. I've always been an atheist, never believed, never read the bible, realized when my aunt took me to Sunday school at the UU church when I was 6 or 7 that the bible stories were not real. Questioned them in class repeatedly and after a couple of weeks of my skepticism they asked her to not bring me back until I could "behave" (not question authority) better. So we quit going altogether. My parents were not officially religious but my mother claimed to be baptized so she thought she was go to go. As I grew up and tried to explore religion by going to a variety of churches to see what was the draw. My explorations only served to solidify my non-belief. My aunt, when she became ill, confided in me that "life is all we have, don't waste it" before she died. I raised my kids to question everything and take nothing for granted. They are agnostic (daughter) and atheist (son) both reasoned and critical thinkers. :) I live in Claremore and I'm an Admin. Asst. in the aerospace industry. Was married thirty years, now divorced. I've been a quiet atheist until about 3 yrs ago. I neither confirmed nor denied any faith to others, other than my family. I was raised that ones faith or lack thereof is personal and not just anyone's and everyone's business so coming to OK was a bit of a culture shock. :bug: I realized 3 years ago that religion was taking over politics and working to become a religious state in our country and I am not quiet anymore. If you have any questions or advice for navigating this fo, hit me up with a message! Enjoy you day, :) Lee
Welcome, Lee. Just keep reading here and you will find many ideas and lots of support. Lois

TY, Danny and Lois! :slight_smile:

Hi Lee. It’s great to hear of an atheist in Oklahoma. Atheists in California are about as common as dandelions in a lawn, but it takes a lot more intestinal fortitude to be one and to speak out in the middle states.
We’re pretty easy going here. Unless it’s spam or strong insults, we don’t worry about the discussions.
Oh, one glitch in this program. About two percent of the time, when you try to submit your post the dumb program deletes what you wrote and gives you a new blank screen to write a post. That can be really disgusting if you’ve put a lot of thought into a post. I get around it by marking my post, hitting cntl-c to copy it into my computer, then submitting it. If the computer loses it, I just go to the beginning of the blank screen, type cntl-v, and my post is back and ready to submit.
Occam

TY, Occam, I will remember that. I have learned the hard way about long posts disappearing. lol I’m looking forward to exploring this place. :slight_smile:

Oh, and I should mention that we have a wide variety of members; many very bright, some not so, some who are one-trick-ponies (only interested in one topic), mostly liberal, but some strong conservatives, and some with pretty odd views. But, that’s what makes the discussions interesting. :lol:
I’m looking forward to your ideas and participationl.
Occam

You barely joined, Lee, when your state got hit with a catastrophe. I hope it didn’t cause you or those close to you any harm. Let us know what it’s like now, back there.
Occam

Welcome, Lee. My wife is doing some contract work just up the road from you in Bartlesville.
Glad to have you around these forums. Keep your head up and don’t let the theists get you down.

You barely joined, Lee, when your state got hit with a catastrophe. I hope it didn't cause you or those close to you any harm. Let us know what it's like now, back there. Occam
The damage was about 50 mile from me in a little town called Quapaw, been through there many times. Also Baxter Springs , Ks. which makes me sad as it's a very old historic town with beautiful old buildings. :( Arkansas was hit badly as well. So many people lost. No rain or storms where I'm at but I watched it build. Scary. TY for asking.
Welcome, Lee. My wife is doing some contract work just up the road from you in Bartlesville. Glad to have you around these forums. Keep your head up and don't let the theists get you down.
Thank you! Yes, Bartlesville is about an hour from me. lol, theist don't bother me as I simply consider the source. :)

Your aunt, when dying told you “Life is all we have, don’t waste it.” Most children in our society don’t have the luxury of not being lied to.

Your aunt, when dying told you "Life is all we have, don't waste it." Most children in our society don't have the luxury of not being lied to.
Yes, quite true. I loved and respected her more than any other person in my world. I still miss her dearly. I could've used her guidance many times over my life, but in thought, I still did as I always try to do the right thing. I did enjoy many years with her and she always spoke with honesty and sincerity something I have lived by all my life. I think I have passed that on to my children as well. Now my grandchildren get that same honesty and openness. They are young 6 and 4 but already they know that no matter what, their Mimi will say the truth and discuss anything they want. (We also do a lot of home science projects and experiments, lol, they will learn critical thinking, logic and reason.) I think we do our children a terrible disservice by filling their heads with myths and calling them truths. Personally, it should be illegal, just like sexual or violent literature and vids, to indoctrinate children before the age of 17. The bible should be rated, "R17". Lee

Welcome MzLee. Glad to have you here.