Pat Robertson Blames Education For Lack Of Miracles In America

Link

“We are so sophisticated, we think we’ve got everything figured out," the Christian Broadcasting Network chairman continued. “We know about evolution, we know about Darwin, we know about all these things that says God isn’t real, we know about all this stuff." According to Robertson, it’s the “skepticism and secularism" that is being taught at “the most advanced schools" around the country that is keeping God’s miracles at bay. Meanwhile, Africans are “simple" and “humble." “You tell ‘em God loves ‘em and they say, ‘Okay, he loves me’," said Robertson. “You say God will do miracles and they say, ‘Okay, we believe him’."
I'm not sure how to react to this. Part of me want to scream "Duh!" and do a victory dance. Part of me want to laugh hysterically. And part of me wants to weep in sadness. And they're all sort of fighting each other to a draw.
I'm not sure how to react to this. Part of me want to scream "Duh!" and do a victory dance. Part of me want to laugh hysterically. And part of me wants to weep in sadness. And they're all sort of fighting each other to a draw.
I vote for option #1. With a microbrew.

I just chuckle. It’s definitely a sign of the “end times” for clowns like him. I imagine god up there thinking to herself “I swear to me, if this guy disses evolution and Darwin one more time I’m gonna shit thunder on his head”.

I wonder how “Africans” feel about this? Then again they are very simple so it probably went right over their heads or if they are offended they would be too humble to say so

Personally, I thought “Duh! Of course they would experience “miracles” because they don’t have the education to know better.” IMO, he just showed that ignorance isn’t bliss, but primitive thinking.

Why can’t one of these serial killers take him out and at least improve the world a little while being wacko?
psik

Link
“We are so sophisticated, we think we’ve got everything figured out," the Christian Broadcasting Network chairman continued. “We know about evolution, we know about Darwin, we know about all these things that says God isn’t real, we know about all this stuff." According to Robertson, it’s the “skepticism and secularism" that is being taught at “the most advanced schools" around the country that is keeping God’s miracles at bay. Meanwhile, Africans are “simple" and “humble." “You tell ‘em God loves ‘em and they say, ‘Okay, he loves me’," said Robertson. “You say God will do miracles and they say, ‘Okay, we believe him’."
His grammar is almost as bad as his analysis.

“Meanwhile, Africans are “simple” and “humble." “You tell ‘em God loves ‘em and they say, ‘Okay, he loves me’," said Robertson. “You say God will do miracles and they say, ‘Okay, we believe him’.“”
My reaction to this is that it is quite scary. It shows that religion wants to turn people into sheep who will follow anything they are indoctrinated with. Just as many speculate, religion was probably was invented largely in part as a form of control. It’s scary when people just accept religion and some of it’s absurdities without question. Then, once you’re in the cult, if you question it, you’re “blasphemous” and damned to hell.

“Things just don’t look the same since I pulled my head out of my ass.”

Robertson IMO, is just worried about his "falling income’ not enough suckers being born every minute.
:cheese:

Hmm, let’s see, according to Pat, we have the choice of living in a society where educated people don’t believe in God, and thus we don’t get any miracles, or living in a society where uneducated people do things like rape babies because they think it will cure AIDS. Gee, which kind of society would I like to live in? Tough choice.

My definition of miracle = A natural occurrence with causes the person defining it as a miracle is too uneducated, biased or dumb to recognize and understand. :snake:
Occam

My definition of miracle = A natural occurrence with causes the person defining it as a miracle is too uneducated, biased or dumb to recognize and understand. :snake: Occam
Veyr true. Like when an airplane carrying 300 people crashes killing everyone on board but a little baby and its declared a miracle. I think the other 299 people and their families might disagree.

What Pat Robertson doesn’t even grasp was that if everything he believed in was real…including miracles…then it would all persist in being there whether we were educated or not and believed it or not.
Reality is funny that way.

Am I understanding this correctly, there is a lack of miracles in America, but they’re just rampant in Africa? I wonder if the famished and those suffering from AIDS would agree?

My definition of miracle = A natural occurrence with causes the person defining it as a miracle is too uneducated, biased or dumb to recognize and understand. :snake: Occam
My definition of a miracle = an occurrence that produces a result so marvelous that we didn't think it was possible. There are two ways to look at miracles. One is the uneducated view, which holds that they are products of supernatural forces. The other is the educated view, which holds that they are products of natural forces and it is up to us to figure them out, if we so choose.

Quoting PLaClair:

My definition of a miracle = an occurrence that produces a result so marvelous that we didn’t think it was possible.
And just about everything we accept as standard from canned goods to computers would be considered miracles by everyone two hundred years ago.
Occam

And just about everything we accept as standard from canned goods to computers would be considered miracles by everyone two hundred years ago.
Computers yes, but not canning Occam. That was invented for Napoleon's armies by Nicholas Appert in 1809. Just sayin'. Now light bulbs and the telephone? Yeah, pretty much except one fundie preacher called it a "tool of the devil". Alexander Graham Bell was a minion of Satan? Cap't Jack
Am I understanding this correctly, there is a lack of miracles in America, but they’re just rampant in Africa? I wonder if the famished and those suffering from AIDS would agree?
Oddly enough, they probably would. Wishful thinking and desperation coupled with cognitive dissonance can go a long way towards clouding good judgement. Especially when the snake oil salesman is a charismatic preacher.
Computers yes, but not canning Occam. That was invented for Napoleon's armies by Nicholas Appert in 1809.
I wonder what they'd call botulism in the miraculous canned goods? Punishment from god for fooling mother nature? ........... Just sayin'. Now light bulbs and the telephone? Yeah, pretty much except one fundie preacher called it a "tool of the devil". Alexander Graham Bell was a minion of Satan? Cap't Jack