Pat Robertson Blames Education For Lack Of Miracles In America

I wonder what they’d call botulism in the miraculous canned goods? Punishment from god for fooling mother nature?
In Napoleon's army? In all probability some victualler would be taken out and shot. End of story. Quote Napoleon when crossing the Namur River after one of his marshalls remarked "we'll be in Brussels by morning god willing", Nap replied, "God"? "God's got nothing to do with it"! Cap't Jack

Quoting TVA:

Computers yes, but not canning Occam. That was invented for Napoleon’s armies by Nicholas Appert in 1809.
Yeah, I knew that, but I was thinking that it was done in glass jars, not metal cans. However, just to be safe, I suppose I should have said two hundred and ten years ago instead of two hundred years ago. :slight_smile:
Occam

Quoting TVA:
Computers yes, but not canning Occam. That was invented for Napoleon’s armies by Nicholas Appert in 1809.
Yeah, I knew that, but I was thinking that it was done in glass jars, not metal cans. However, just to be safe, I suppose I should have said two hundred and ten years ago instead of two hundred years ago. :) Occam
:lol: Occam, my grandmother canned in glass jars. However, I think I missed something, because I'm not sure how canning and Napoleon's armies relate, unless it is another term for "sacking" as in "sacking a city".
Quoting PLaClair:
My definition of a miracle = an occurrence that produces a result so marvelous that we didn’t think it was possible.
And just about everything we accept as standard from canned goods to computers would be considered miracles by everyone two hundred years ago. Occam
That's true. In fact, we could look at it that way today: we can marvel at and be inspired by the history of human progress in science and technology. Sagan surely was. Tyson is. Einstein was. And the harm in that is . . .? Einstein said there are two ways of looking at things. One is that nothing is a miracle. The other is that everything is. The Humanist conception of miracles recognizes that it's all in how we look at things subjectively. It's an attitude. I prefer a positive attitude over a negative attitude. They're both attitudes. Why not adopt the attitude that looks forward and upward and that inspires us to do more? Many of our greatest creative geniuses did exactly that.
Occam, my grandmother canned in glass jars. However, I think I missed something, because I’m not sure how canning and Napoleon’s armies relate, unless it is another term for “sacking" as in “sacking a city".
Ok Lois, a little history lesson, and BTW both my grandmothers and my mother in law canned veggies, fruits and meat in glass jars, especially pickled corn, beans and beets, a pleasant digression! Canning was invented to preserve food for Napoleon's army while on the march. His supply lines stretched back to France and were easily cut so canning would preserve food to serve his men and each soldier required at least three meals daily. His Grand Armee consisted of 600,000 men. You do the math here!. after the Napoleonic Wars canning spread to GB and America. Of course inventors in both countries were working on the concept as well, mainly for the navy. Cap't Jack
Yeah, I knew that, but I was thinking that it was done in glass jars, not metal cans. However, just to be safe, I suppose I should have said two hundred and ten years ago instead of two hundred years ago.
Now you're safe Occam. And they still called it canning even though it was done in glass jars! :cheese: Cap't Jack

I’m not sure, but I think I’ve read that the word ‘can’, evolved from the word canister. Canister was a munition where many musket balls were packed in a tin container and fired from a cannon. When they started using ‘cans’ to contain ‘canned food’ the tin food containers resembled the munition.
Personally, I’m very hesitant to consider violence as a solution to any problem, but war certainly creates an incentive to come up with new technologies. As much as I mistrust the military industrial complex we sure get a lot of cool stuff from it. Hmmm… Would I give up metallurgy if, in turn, North Korea, the cold war, and Nazi Germany never existed?

I’m not sure, but I think I’ve read that the word ‘can’, evolved from the word canister. Canister was a munition where many musket balls were packed in a tin container and fired from a cannon. When they started using ‘cans’ to contain ‘canned food’ the tin food containers resembled the munition.
Yes, you're correct Jeciron. Canister shot was used against packed troops on the battlefield and the musket balls were housed in tin cylinders, the tin disintegrating after being fired. It had a limited range but was deadly, like a big shotgun although a "canister" could be any cylindrical object holding foodstuffs. Sounds reasonable though. The problem with the first tin cans was the lead solder; it was poisonous and people died from long term exposure to the lead until corrected by using a tin based solder. Cap't Jack
Occam, my grandmother canned in glass jars. However, I think I missed something, because I’m not sure how canning and Napoleon’s armies relate, unless it is another term for “sacking" as in “sacking a city".
Ok Lois, a little history lesson, and BTW both my grandmothers and my mother in law canned veggies, fruits and meat in glass jars, especially pickled corn, beans and beets, a pleasant digression! Canning was invented to preserve food for Napoleon's army while on the march. His supply lines stretched back to France and were easily cut so canning would preserve food to serve his men and each soldier required at least three meals daily. His Grand Armee consisted of 600,000 men. You do the math here!. after the Napoleonic Wars canning spread to GB and America. Of course inventors in both countries were working on the concept as well, mainly for the navy. Cap't Jack
Thank you, but I'm not Lois. My late grandmother's sister is named Lois though, as well as someone here on the board. :lol:

Sorry Mriana, I confused Lois’s post with yours then went back and saw it was from you. As an aside, I don’t have any relatives named Lois, and the first time I heard that named used was in the TV show Superman back in the 50’s. Must have been a popular name then. Oh, wait a minute, I went to high school with a girl named Lois but that was in the 60’s. Since then, no Loises. Do you can? :slight_smile:
Cap’t Jack

Sorry Mriana, I confused Lois's post with yours then went back and saw it was from you. As an aside, I don't have any relatives named Lois, and the first time I heard that named used was in the TV show Superman back in the 50's. Must have been a popular name then. Oh, wait a minute, I went to high school with a girl named Lois but that was in the 60's. Since then, no Loises. Do you can? :-) Cap't Jack
Did you grow up in England where, in my experience, few seem familiar with the name Lois? Thats not the case with most Americans. Actually Lois is in the bible, in II Timothy, so it's not new. The name had some popularity in the US the 1940s, I hear, though it's never been a common name. You're unlikely to find two Loises in the same room.
Yeah, I knew that, but I was thinking that it was done in glass jars, not metal cans. However, just to be safe, I suppose I should have said two hundred and ten years ago instead of two hundred years ago.
Now you're safe Occam. And they still called it canning even though it was done in glass jars! :cheese: Cap't Jack
And originally, they used champagne bottles for canning. It was when the inventor of the process (or one of his associates) moved to England that they switched to metal cans.
Did you grow up in England where, in my experience, few seem familiar with the name Lois? Thats not the case with most Americans. Actually Lois is in the bible, in II Timothy, so it’s not new. The name had some popularity in the US the 1940s, I hear, though it’s never been a common name. You’re unlikely to find two Loises in the same room.
No but my ancestors came from York to Jamestown after the colony was founded. I grew up here in the Appalachian highlands until we moved to South Bend, Ind. yeah, there a several biblical names here and not just the cliche Davids and Daniels. I have had students named Elisha and Elijah, Rebeccas and Ruths (one of my Aunt's middle names) and naturally my wife Sarah. Yes, I married a princess. The most unusual family name however is my Great Aunt Saphrona, Fronie for short. She was Dad's Aunt on his Father's side and the only one with that name in our family history, both sides. So thinking back you are only the second Lois I've ever encountered. Unique, while my given name is as common John Smith! Cap't Jack
And originally, they used champagne bottles for canning. It was when the inventor of the process (or one of his associates) moved to England that they switched to metal cans.
Right you are CT and the two British inventors began using the tin coated iron cans for food with lead solder as I mentioned and depending what they contained, leeched lead into the food. This may have led to many of the deaths of the ill fated Franklin expedition to the Arctic in 1845. Archeologists and forensic anthropologists were able to examine three perfectly preserved bodies from the expedition and found high levels of lead in their systems (see the Franklin mummies). So canning got off to a pretty shaky start. But I digress, back to Pat and his predictions about god wiping out the homosexual population with hurricanes. Cap't Jack

All this talk of canning reminds me of a joke my Dad used to tell.
An Engishman came to the states to learn about farming practices. He was very impressed by the large yields on many farms. He asked a farmer what he does with so much food. The farmer said, “We eat what we can and what we can’t eat we can.”
When the Englishman went home he told his friends “I don’t understand Americans. When I asked a farmer what they did with all the extra food they produce, he told me they ate what they could and what they couldn’t eat they could.”

Sorry Mriana, I confused Lois's post with yours then went back and saw it was from you. As an aside, I don't have any relatives named Lois, and the first time I heard that named used was in the TV show Superman back in the 50's. Must have been a popular name then. Oh, wait a minute, I went to high school with a girl named Lois but that was in the 60's. Since then, no Loises. Do you can? :-) Cap't Jack
Did you grow up in England where, in my experience, few seem familiar with the name Lois? Thats not the case with most Americans. Actually Lois is in the bible, in II Timothy, so it's not new. The name had some popularity in the US the 1940s, I hear, though it's never been a common name. You're unlikely to find two Loises in the same room. I was going to mention that Lois is in the Bile. In fact, my grandmother and her sisters, oldest to the youngest- Esther, Ruth (my grandmother), Lois, and Leah. See a pattern? Their father was a Baptist minister. Even their middle names were Biblical. My grandmother, born in 1913 was born Mary Ruth. When she filled out her birth certificate, years later, she changed it to Ruth Mary, because everyone called her Ruth. They all experienced a lot of "miracles", including my mother being cured of breast cancer- the dr didn't get credit, God did. :roll: