Our Miss Brooks

OMG
I stumbled across this on YouTube

I used to watch that as a kid. Haven’t thought of it in DECADES. Now I can’t see why I watched it.
This I never forgot.

I was annoyed when it went off the air.
psik

Yup, that’s a problem as we mature. There was the Lensmen series, great S-F in Astounding/Analog magazine that I read and loved as a kid. A few years ago I was browsing in a used book store and saw all five of the paperbacks. I figured I’d enjoy rereading them after about fifty years so I bought them. Geez, were they infantile. I hadn’t realized how immature I was as a teen-ager. :lol:
Occam

Ah, 1st Corinthians 13:11. Our Miss Brooks? Debbie Gillis? That’s the “I Love Lucy” era. I had you pegged as a much younger guy Psikey! You’re an old baby boomer fart like me. Just out of curiosity, do you remember when radio was our only form of entertatinment? We didn’t have a TV until I was five so we listened to radio shows. That was 1954 and only one family had a television in our neighborhood. We used to watch the test pattern until the station signed on. There were only 2 stations then. Believe me, I’m not nostalgic for those days and the programs were mostly live performances by some pretty hack actors. That’s also when the soaps began. My mother was addicted.
Cap’t Jack

</span> You used to <em>watch</em> Our Miss Brooks? I only know of it as a RADIO show! (and only because it was a childhood favourite of my mother's and she rediscovered it when a local radio station started playing episodes in the middle of the night) Eve Arden is one of the real <em>gems </em>of that era :) she and Gale Gordon are old-timey comedy <em>legends</em>.....so, i never get tired of listening to eps of Our Miss Brooks (yes, surprise surprise, they're available in podcast form now :) <span style="color:white">

` You used to watch Our Miss Brooks? I only know of it as a RADIO show! (and only because it was a childhood favourite of my mother's and she rediscovered it when a local radio station started playing episodes in the middle of the night) Eve Arden is one of the real gems of that era :) she and Gale Gordon are old-timey comedy legends.....so, i never get tired of listening to eps of Our Miss Brooks (yes, surprise surprise, they're available in podcast form now :) `
Thanks Axegrrl, I just spent 30 minutes searching for old-time radio podcasts and now have about 2,000 episodes downloading, including Our Miss Brooks and Fibber McGee and Molly.
Yup, that's a problem as we mature. There was the Lensmen series, great S-F in Astounding/Analog magazine that I read and loved as a kid. A few years ago I was browsing in a used book store and saw all five of the paperbacks. I figured I'd enjoy rereading them after about fifty years so I bought them. Geez, were they infantile. I hadn't realized how immature I was as a teen-ager. :lol: Occam
I think the issue is: "What is a new idea?" An idea is new the first time a child encounters it even if it is 1000 years old. Kids are assembling their paradigms of reality and television was a new kind of input when we were kids. I think today kids are overstimulated but how can they know what is garbage information? I remember being kind of shocked the first time I encountered the ideas of atheism and agnosticism in a sci-fi book. Wish I could remember what book it was but I know it was SF. I still kind of like the dry cynicism of Our Miss Brooks but it is not as impressive as it once was I suppose. psik
Just out of curiosity, do you remember when radio was our only form of entertatinment?
I don't remember ever not having a TV in the house. I only listened to the radio for music. I didn't even like listening to sports or watching sports. psik
I don’t remember ever not having a TV in the house. I only listened to the radio for music. I didn’t even like listening to sports or watching sports.
As to sports, same here. We used to listen to the last of the radio shows in the earrrrrly 50's and music (hit parade). As my father is consumed by sports (he flips from game to game on the TV) we were a captive audience while driving, mostly baseball. That's why my brother and I would bug the crap out of each other out of boredom until the inevitable hand reached back to shut us up. Still not a baseball fan. Cap't Jack

I remember my father not caring for the TV baseball commentators. So he would turn the sound off on the TV and turn on the radio. :slight_smile:
I don’t recall listening to the radio for anything other than music. (I wasn’t into sports so when my dad was watching the game, I’d generally do something else. ;-))
Take care,
Derek