Our "experts" may have been very wrong (about wearing masks)

Bringing it back on point:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings, Especially in Areas of Significant Community-Based Transmission

CDC continues to study the spread and effects of the novel coronavirus across the United States. We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms. This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms. In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

It is critical to emphasize that maintaining 6-feet social distancing remains important to slowing the spread of the virus. CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

The cloth face coverings recommended are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators. Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance. …

I’m surprised there isn’t more emphasis on the clothing aspect. In addition to the respirator stuff.

Such as changing cloths after being in public, before entering home, or right inside the door, or enter through garage, isolating the cloths and washing.

Regular decontamination precautions and stuff like that?

The mask would be to protect others from airborne spread from simple talking or breathing in the presence of others.
If you feel threatened, wear a hazmat suit the way Muslim women wear the hijab. Obey your experts the way Muslims obey their mullahs. America is a free country. Mullahs of all stripes are not permitted to impose their respective moral practices on all Americans.

Ding dong. The purpose of citizens wearing masks is not because THEY individually feel threatened. It is to protect others in case they individually are C-19 carriers without knowing it.

You, sree, might be a carrier and not even know it. You might go in public without a mask and release C-19 into your personal airspace. Some mother of 3 happens to walk thru the airspace that you vacated, breath in your released airborne C-19, and bingo, a month later her 3 kids are orphans.

Now that particular scenario is, granted, an unlikely occurrence, but then multiply the chance of such occurrences by the number of all US citizens who don’t wear a mask in public, and the chances become good that some children somewhere will be orphaned because of the collective irresponsibility of the non-mask wearers.

Not to mention that the mother who was killed in the scenario, above, transmitted the virus to others before her demise. And she took up precious healthcare assets on her journey to death. She added to the stress on a medical system that is verging on breaking down, already.

But Sree, you and the T rump go ahead and exercise your personal freedom as Americans to put your fellow Americans at risk by exercising your right not to wear a mask to protect others from you. The orphans will no doubt understand when they grow up that you were standing up for your rights as an American. USA! USA!

@timb

I get what you are saying and even understand the impulse to recoil at the sight of an uncovered face these days. I get it, and that is why I am holed up in my home not going out for the next 7 days for the purported peak to happen. I am doing this for guys like you even though I am dismissive of the common wisdom of the herd.

That’s very white of you Sree. Thank you for your service. But the C-19 is going to be around for more than 7 days.