On the irony of our atheist President triggering Armageddon

I don’t for one moment believe Mr Trump believes in anything bigger than himself. And I obviously don’t mean “Armageddon” in any spiritual sense.

People are concerned about Pence, because he actually believes in Jesus’ second coming. But I think Trump is way more dangerous. It doesn’t matter if he has never cracked open a Bible… He is the Evangelicals’ Useful Idiot, because… well, he is an idiot.

It’s only Day 11 of the Impeachment Scandal, and Trump has already re-tweeted about the Evangelicals and Civil War, and insinuated the Whistleblower should be executed as a traitor.

It would not be hard for Trump to trigger Armageddon with a Tweet.

His Obsession With, And Ignorance About, Nuclear Weapons is well-documented.

And our hope in “procedure” to prevent a Dr Strangelove situation is misplaced:

"Whose Finger Is on the Button? Nuclear Launch Authority in the United States and Other Nations," Union of Concerned Scientists
https://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear-weapons/us-nuclear-weapons-policy/sole-authority
"America’s greatest danger: Nuclear war decision-making by Donald Trump," Louis René Beres, Ph.D., emeritus professor of international law, Purdue University
https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/418509-americas-greatest-danger-nuclear-war-decision-making-by-donald-trump
"There Is No Check on Trump’s Rage Going Nuclear," Foreign Policy
https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/05/22/theres-no-check-on-trumps-rage-going-nuclear/

…I’m old enough to remember that the world was going to be gone by now, anyway.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Hire a vandal, expect a bunch of vandalism.

The perfect opportunity for the president to “go nuclear” came and went with North Korea a couple years ago. Of course nothing happened.

Trump isn’t even a “rageaholic” as these links claim, he just has a big fucking mouth.

It’s similar to people a few years ago talking about how Trump would definitely invade some shithole and kill innocent people because of his uncontrollable racism. Of course that didn’t happen either.

You say that, but then again I wouldn’t press our luck.

Today, this can’t get me down. I just read his tweet where he whined that Democrats have been out to get him ever since he got “overwhelmingly” elected in 2016. Losing by 3 million votes, in his mind, means that he totally crushed it! How can that not bring a smile to your face? Our country is headed by a tantrum throwing, self important, dumb as a brick egomaniac with no connection to reality, but it’s funny once in a while.

@snowcity

You say that, but then again I wouldn’t press our luck.
On THIS, we totally agree.

How can one not worry about what the Dotard will do that could hasten the end of the world? He has done and is doing all possible to concentrate more power in himself. And he is not trustworthy.

But irony is becoming rather passé these days. Just too much of it going around.

@widdershins

How can that not bring a smile to your face? Our country is headed by a tantrum throwing, self important, dumb as a brick egomaniac with no connection to reality, but it’s funny once in a while.
Right?? The last couple years have been SO absurd, you HAVE to laugh.

I am deeply concerned, I take none of this lightly. But I was just telling my housemate last night how much I appreciate certain folks on Twitter, who have the same sort of black humor that I do…like Sen. Ted Lieu, Sen. Brian Schatz, Sen. Ted Murphy and George Conway.

@thatoneguy

The perfect opportunity for the president to “go nuclear” came and went with North Korea a couple years ago. Of course nothing happened.
Every new day is "an opportunity. One only has to trigger WWIII one time. The fact it hasn't happened YET doesn't mean it never will.

Trump isn’t even a “rageaholic” as these links claim, he just has a big fucking mouth.
His big fucking mouth is a danger whether he is in a rage or not. And I wonder how you conclude that he isn't a rageaholic? It's been demonstrated again and again and again.

@timb

But irony is becoming rather passé these days. Just too much of it going around.
Yes, and also, satire is dead. Satire has always been difficult to do, but now almost nobody is doing it well, because the real thing keeps outdoing the parodies.

Very frequently, I see a Trump tweet…I think, “That’s obviously one of the parody accounts”… I check and it isn’t. It’s really him.

I guess that’s right. How is the “Onion” even staying in business, these days, or are they?

I posted this on facebook today.

We are living in a farce once again. What should be art is politics. Dostoyevsky made this the theme of the Brothers Karamazov and a modern writer made it a little more digestible in a book about a family in the 60’s. It’s a great book that is very relevant to today. It warns of what happens when leadership doesn’t care about human values, making a farce of their actions, and the danger of the opposition falling in to the same patterns.

Excerpt from The Brothers K

He has done and is doing all possible to concentrate more power in himself.
This is country has a system which prevents that very thing from happening. There is absolutely no way Donald Trump will become supreme dictator for life unless he founds a new country somewhere else.
His big fucking mouth is a danger whether he is in a rage or not. And I wonder how you conclude that he isn’t a rageaholic? It’s been demonstrated again and again and again.
Rageaholic means someone who can’t control their temper. Making fun of people on Twitter like Trump does is nothing like that.
Every new day is “an opportunity. One only has to trigger WWIII one time. The fact it hasn’t happened YET doesn’t mean it never will.
Remember North Korea actually threatened America with nuclear attack in 2017. Trump the supposedly angry manic had options like ordering a non-nuclear preemptive strike that would’ve wiped North Korea off the map. We’ve attacked other countries in the past for much less.

Instead Trump insulted Kim Jong Un a little and then cooperated with him. That shows a certain amount of deliberation and self control.

@Timb

LOL, I actually know the guy who founded The Onion!

They have been at this longer than anyone (I don’t count MAD, because their satire isn’t meant to be “taken seriously”). They have been around since 1998, and were the first publication on the Internet (1997). Like many, they ceased paper publication a few years ago, but their office (now in Chicago) has 140 employees and I know it’s very hard to get into.

They are really the only people still doing it well. The Babalon Bee sucks.

@thatoneguy

This is country has a system which prevents that very thing from happening. There is absolutely no way Donald Trump will become supreme dictator for life unless he founds a new country somewhere else.
Will he literally become Stalin or Mao? No, but you are underestimating the true and real damage he IS doing because "our system" was not created for many scenarios that are happening, and because one of the two political parties is in denial.

@thatoneguy

Rageaholic means someone who can’t control their temper. Making fun of people on Twitter like Trump does is nothing like that.

I know exactly what a rageaholic is. And Trump is one. I don’t mean just on Twitter. There are multiple IRL accounts from credible sources going back years. And referring to Civil War (which he has done multiple times), and implying that the whistleblower and elected officials should be executed for treason, is one hell of a lot more than “making fun of people.”

@thatoneguy

Remember North Korea actually threatened America with nuclear attack in 2017.
Of course I do.

Instead Trump insulted Kim Jong Un a little and then cooperated with him. That shows a certain amount of deliberation and self control.
You are misreading this. Things deescalated because Un knew how to play him.

This stunning 1.24-minute clip is on fire right now. Working journalists and journalism professors from all over the country are giving this reporter (Jeff Mason, Reuters’ White House Correspondent) kudos for maintaining his composure:

My own career in reporting goes back to 1986. I never covered national politics, but I covered local politics for some time. So I dealt with some crazy-ass people.

And what the President is doing here is some absolutely over-the-top, out of bounds shit. (It’s even worse if you are familiar with the entire background of what’s being discussed here.)

Imagine people in all sorts of occupations, from taxi drivers to food service workers to cops to the proverbial postal workers, that get pushed to the limit and just fucking explode. Now imagine being part of the WH press. Yes, Acosta can be a dick, but my God. My God. They sit there every day and take this.

Qualification: I’m on Disability for Complex PTSD. Multiple traumas all at one time. But even in my working days, I honestly don’t think I could have handled this. I literally felt nauseous and got palpitations watching this.

I checked Mason out on LinkedIn…looks like he got his Master’s in 1999, volunteers at homeless shelters and was an Eagle Scout!