Novels which deserve to be read

This topic to talk about novels we read and we think they deserve to be read by others.

I begin : " Kindred " by Octavia Butler.

In the 1970ths, a young afro american woman travels back between her time and year 1815 in Maryland. Having no papers and nothing, she is treated as a slave.

Octavia Butler has written a great book which paints the lives of slaves in south . There is a debate to decide if she sweetened or not the painting. In fact, she gives many elements and alludes to some of the darker ones.

The subject is the dynamics of the relationships between masters and slaves, and why and how slaves submitted, and how they resisted.emphasized text

1 Like

Overstory by Richard Powers

Several stories of people revolving around trees eventually converge with them staging a protest in the Pacific Northwest. The diversity of characters creates a portrait of America coming to terms with its desire for progress and love of nature. A scientist who discovers that trees have a form of communication, an 2nd generation immigrant from China with a tree in her family’s yard from their homeland, a guy on a farm, a woman who has a vision of the forest that she has to pursue leaves her job. It’s too much to try to summarize, but very well written.

They aren’t exactly novels, but I think they deserve to be read:

“Remember the Ladies”, Abigail Adams Abigail Adams and Power - Lesson Plan

And

“How It Feels to be Colored Me” by Zora Neale Hurston How It Feels to Be Colored Me, by Zora Neale Hurston

Oh and my other favourite (sorry, I said two, but I have three) is by Maya Angelou “And Still I Rise”