NHS New Guildlines

Very interesting………

Government provided medical care in UK has instituted new guidelines that will allow staff to refuse treatment to patients deemed “prejudiced”.

https://news.sky.com/story/nhs-staff-can-refuse-to-treat-racist-or-sexist-patients-under-new-rules-11937175

Sexist and racist patients could be barred from non-emergency care at NHS trusts, under new rules to be enforced from April. Currently, staff can refuse to treat non-critical patients who are verbally aggressive or physically violent towards them.

But these protections will extend to any harassment, bullying or discrimination, including homophobic, sexist or racist remarks.Ambulance workers are among those worst affected by abuse
Health Secretary Matt Hancock wrote to all NHS staff on Tuesday to announce stronger measures to investigate abuse and harassment towards staff, saying “no act of violence or abuse is minor”.

“Being assaulted or abused is not part of the job,” he said.

“Far too often I hear stories that the people you are trying to help lash out. I’ve seen it for myself in A&Es, on night shifts, and on ambulances.”

Mr Hancock said he was “horrified that any member of the public would abuse or physically assault a member of our NHS staff but it happens too often”
Paramedics fears for patients as NHS struggles with winter demand

Mr Hancock outlined a new joint agreement with police and the Crown Prosecution Service which will give police more powers to investigate and prosecute cases where NHS staff are the victim of a crime.

“All assault and hate crimes against NHS staff must be investigated with care, compassion, diligence and commitment,” he said.
These new rules were announced with the release of the 2019 NHS Staff Survey for England, which showed more than a quarter of NHS workers were bullied, harassed or abused in one year.

There is a potential tidal wave of shit that could go wrong here. Does the NHS have a death wish? It already has funding problems.

Mr. Hancock’s comment that “abuse is not part of the job” stands out to me as a former paramedic, because we were trained that some amount of abuse is inevitable in the EMS field and you have to be able to not take it personally. Britain is much quieter than America though, so maybe it’s a cultural difference.

At any rate it doesn’t help the image of socialized medicine!

I wouldn’t blame a trans doctor for refusing to treat a patient in the emergency room if he keeps squirming when touched. Never mind the look of disgust on his face at the sight of the doctor.

Libertarians: You are free to act however you want.

Also Libertarians: You have to treat my boo-boo no matter how much I insult you.

I wouldn’t blame a trans doctor for refusing to treat a patient in the emergency room if he keeps squirming when touched. Never mind the look of disgust on his face at the sight of the doctor.
A trans doctor probably would be at a disadvantage there; but I'm guessing it has more to do with race and sex.

I’m also guessing British society is in deep shit. Makes our system seem a little more tolerable.

@thatoneguy: I’m also guessing British society is in deep shit.
Very true. Brits have themselves to blame for building an empire. The UK now seems to have more Indian subjects than real Brits. Eerie watching returning Englishmen in Heathrow Airport getting interrogated by turbaned Sikhs at immigration. I can imagine far worse cultural shocks at hospitals. If people like their doctors, they should be able to keep their doctors. And this doctor is what people want:

Eerie watching returning Englishmen in Heathrow Airport getting interrogated by turbaned Sikhs
Can you elaborate on that? Without sounding like a Klan member?
Can you elaborate on that? Without sounding like a Klan member?
I wasn't actually watching the scenario. I was imagining the scenario related to me by a Brit I met at a bar in Brighton. They don't drink Miller's or Budweiser over there. We each were having a pint of lager. He said he was never sure if he was back in London or had landed at some airport in India after a long flight. And he was pissed as hell every time he walked up to the immigration counter and was asked by a foreign bloke if he had anything to declare. "Yeah, get the hell out of my country!" he told me what he would have liked to say.

Fail.

Can you describe this “eerie” feeling in any terms other than you don’t like brown people?

Why do you say I don’t like brown people? Where do you think I got drawn to when I first set out to explore this enigma called life? India. You seem to have the impression that you are a heavyweight when it comes to knowhow and whatnot about world religions. I spent a lot of time in India checking out this brown guy:

Why do you say I don’t like brown people?
Your last two posts in this thread.

Imo, health care givers should put up with verbal abuse and insults in a professional manner. That may be easy for me to say, however, because I am immune to being particularly insulted by racist stuff. Tho I suspect it would be more difficult for many people to remain professional in the presence of particular egregious slurs.

So, there should probably be some pre-developed policy, re: how to address certain situations involving racist verbal abuse.

Sree: Why do you say I don’t like brown people? Lausten: Your last two posts in this thread.
Please understand that there are no such things as brown people. There are brown bodies, or white bodies, or black bodies. People are something else. They have no color. People are psychological entities.

Then why do they give you eerie feelings, and why does your friend want them out of his country?

Eerie feelings? Empathy, I guess. I am a high level sensitive. I can feel what others feel. I got it when he vented his frustrations. He wasn’t a friend, just a guy I met. A hello goodbye thing. I don’t believe he wanted Indians out of his country. He would rather see someone he could relate to when he returned home from a rough time on the job abroad, someone who would understand him like a brother. Everybody has comfort zones, comfort food, things they need to compensate for the stress of daily life. No offense, Samy; just stamp the damn passport and let me through. You know what I mean?

Now you are changing your own words. Troll.

Just correcting tenses and punctuations, Lausten. I hate sloppy writing. It is not respectful to people I write to.

That’s not what I meant and you know it.

Very true. Brits have themselves to blame for building an empire. The UK now seems to have more Indian subjects than real Brits. Eerie watching returning Englishmen in Heathrow Airport getting interrogated by turbaned Sikhs at immigration. I can imagine far worse cultural shocks at hospitals. If people like their doctors, they should be able to keep their doctors. And this doctor is what people want:
Rudyard Kipling must be rolling in his grave.

Out of curiosity I looked up the NHS demographics and most of the staff is White. Maybe the abusive patients are mostly not White.

@thatone guy: Maybe the abusive patients are mostly not White.
I find that hard to imagine. UK minorities mainly come from colonies in the sub-continent of India. They are of a culture that practice a caste system. The lowest social cast is the harijan or dalits, the untouchables, people who do the dirtiest of jobs and the prostitutes. Higher up are the tradesmen, clerks, and artisans. The highest caste is that of the Brahmins, priests or holy men. And above that were the British. This is where idea of white supremacy originated from. There is no way an Indian or Pakistani patient would show disrespect even to a white orderly. Perhaps, time has eroded their conditioning; especially, through the subversive influence of western liberalism.

I don’t believe that.

After all, Pakistanis did engage in the systematic rape of White British girls.