NASA cover up

Did NASA cut a live feed from the International Space Station (ISS)? Some people who believe so quickly took to social media, charging the space agency with a coverup of astronomical proportions. However, NASA officials have now answered those allegations, although questions remain surrounding the recent events of July 9. A video posted on YouTube was purported to show an unidentified flying object (UFO) passing into view of cameras attached to the world's most advanced space station. Soon after the object is seen on the film, the video is cut. This quick change resulted in a flurry of social media posts, claiming NASA was attempting to hide the presence of alien beings.
Doubt anything sinister is happening but its easy to get that impression. link]
Did NASA cut a live feed from the International Space Station (ISS)? Some people who believe so quickly took to social media, charging the space agency with a coverup of astronomical proportions. However, NASA officials have now answered those allegations, although questions remain surrounding the recent events of July 9. A video posted on YouTube was purported to show an unidentified flying object (UFO) passing into view of cameras attached to the world's most advanced space station. Soon after the object is seen on the film, the video is cut. This quick change resulted in a flurry of social media posts, claiming NASA was attempting to hide the presence of alien beings.
Doubt anything sinister is happening but its easy to get that impression. link]
Conspiracy theorists can and do cook up outrageous claims. Only fools pay the least attention to them.

I’m with Lois on this, and will add that said conspiracy theorists ignore the meaning of the “U” in UFO.

Not sure about this particular instance, but I just don’t get why you guys are so knee-jerk happy to dismiss anything labeled “conspiracy”. For starters, in numerous cases so-called conspiracies have proven to be true. Second, as for aliens, honestly, look around you. For chrissake Trump is about to get elected, and has millions of followers dumber than he is. Do you think for one second that if there actually were aliens, and the government knew about them, they’d willingly let it become public knowledge? Socially and psychologically the US populace as a whole is extremely primitive. They couldn’t handle this kind of knowledge. I don’t blame the gov for trying to hide it.

Not sure about this particular instance, but I just don't get why you guys are so knee-jerk happy to dismiss anything labeled "conspiracy". For starters, in numerous cases so-called conspiracies have proven to be true. Name a few. Second, as for aliens, honestly, look around you. For chrissake Trump is about to get elected, and has millions of followers dumber than he is. Do you think for one second that if there actually were aliens, and the government knew about them, they'd willingly let it become public knowledge? Socially and psychologically the US populace as a whole is extremely primitive. They couldn't handle this kind of knowledge. I don't blame the gov for trying to hide it.
What exactly is "the Government" trying to hide, how are they doing it and where is your objective evidence that they are doing this? Lois
Not sure about this particular instance, but I just don't get why you guys are so knee-jerk happy to dismiss anything labeled "conspiracy". For starters, in numerous cases so-called conspiracies have proven to be true. Second, as for aliens, honestly, look around you. For chrissake Trump is about to get elected, and has millions of followers dumber than he is. Do you think for one second that if there actually were aliens, and the government knew about them, they'd willingly let it become public knowledge? Socially and psychologically the US populace as a whole is extremely primitive. They couldn't handle this kind of knowledge. I don't blame the gov for trying to hide it.
Maybe if evidence for aliens existed you'd have a point.
Not sure about this particular instance, but I just don't get why you guys are so knee-jerk happy to dismiss anything labeled "conspiracy". For starters, in numerous cases so-called conspiracies have proven to be true. Second, as for aliens, honestly, look around you. For chrissake Trump is about to get elected, and has millions of followers dumber than he is. Do you think for one second that if there actually were aliens, and the government knew about them, they'd willingly let it become public knowledge? Socially and psychologically the US populace as a whole is extremely primitive. They couldn't handle this kind of knowledge. I don't blame the gov for trying to hide it.
Maybe if evidence for aliens existed you'd have a point.Have you tried contacting anyone at NASA or looking up supporting write ups?
Maybe if evidence for aliens existed you'd have a point.Have you tried contacting anyone at NASA or looking up supporting write ups?No need for that, I know enough about UFO research to say it's bogus.

NASA released a statement the other day saying the video feed was automated. There is no evidence this was a flying saucer.

NASA released a statement the other day saying the video feed was automated. There is no evidence this was a flying saucer.
That won't stop the CTs though. They're still carrying on about Roswell, the JFK assassination and the World Trade Center Bombing. How many reams of paper and books have been written about these things so far? Is there any end in sight? Is there anything that will shut them up? Lois

You miss the point. My point was, if there was evidence, we’d never know because the government would go to great lengths to keep it a secret. Simply putting out an official report that says “there’s no evidence” is similar to (sort of an inverse of) a fundie saying god exists because it says so in the bible.
And Lois, you’ve definitely got your little game perfected. Any point you disagree with you play the “evidence” card. I’m all for evidence as the surest way to the truth, but there are times when there just isn’t evidence as yet. And lack of it can’t and shouldn’t stop speculation and shouldn’t automatically label someone as a crackpot. If lack of evidence was considered instant crackpottery, Einstein would be the leading crackpot of the 20th century!

You miss the point. My point was, if there was evidence, we'd never know because the government would go to great lengths to keep it a secret. Simply putting out an official report that says "there's no evidence" is similar to (sort of an inverse of) a fundie saying god exists because it says so in the bible. Ah of course. more conspiracy from the government. But it doesn't matter, anyway. The government does issue reports, the conspiracy theorists won't believe them and try to tear them down. I'm beginning to think that any mention of "the government" by a CT is a sure sign there is no government cover-up. And Lois, you've definitely got your little game perfected. Any point you disagree with you play the "evidence" card. Yes, I know. Scientists do that too. It's annoying to conspiracy theorists and people with other outlandish claims. I'm all for evidence as the surest way to the truth, No, I don't think you are. but there are times when there just isn't evidence as yet. And lack of it can't and shouldn't stop speculation and shouldn't automatically label someone as a crackpot. If lack of evidence was considered instant crackpottery, Einstein would be the leading crackpot of the 20th century!
People with claims, even outlandish, unsupported ones, are given plenty of time to present evidence. There has to be a limit to the time they are given before their theories are deemed unlikely at best. Most people who offer claims without evidence--especially when they come out of left field and know nothing abut the scientific method, are crackpots, pure snd simple. Identifying them does not stop scientific speculation. Einstein was a respected scientist. The scientific community trusted his methods. He already had plenty of scientific evidence surrounding his research. All he needed was a little more--and he managed to find it. He was no renegade. Conspiracy theorists should never cite Einstein if they are foolish enough to present a conspiracy theory.
You miss the point. My point was, if there was evidence, we'd never know because the government would go to great lengths to keep it a secret. Simply putting out an official report that says "there's no evidence" is similar to (sort of an inverse of) a fundie saying god exists because it says so in the bible. Ah of course. more conspiracy from the government. But it doesn't matter, anyway. The government does issue reports, the conspiracy theorists won't believe them and try to tear them down. I'm beginning to think that any mention of "the government" by a CT is a sure sign there is no government cover-up. And Lois, you've definitely got your little game perfected. Any point you disagree with you play the "evidence" card. Yes, I know. Scientists do that too. It's annoying to conspiracy theorists and people with other outlandish claims. I'm all for evidence as the surest way to the truth, No, I don't think you are. but there are times when there just isn't evidence as yet. And lack of it can't and shouldn't stop speculation and shouldn't automatically label someone as a crackpot. If lack of evidence was considered instant crackpottery, Einstein would be the leading crackpot of the 20th century!
People with claims, even outlandish, unsupported ones, are given plenty of time to present evidence. There has to be a limit to the time they are given before their theories are deemed unlikely at best. Most people who offer claims without evidence--especially when they come out of left field and know nothing abut the scientific method, are crackpots, pure snd simple. Identifying them does not stop scientific speculation. Einstein was a respected scientist. The scientific community trusted his methods. He already had plenty of scientific evidence surrounding his research. All he needed was a little more--and he managed to find it. He was no renegade. Conspiracy theorists should never cite Einstein if they are foolish enough to present a conspiracy theory.Another thing scientists do is not trust "authority" which you appear to do without much questioning. The government has a long history of cover-ups and deception. Our first reaction should be to disbelieve anything they say. As far as evidence, if I'm not mistaken it took more than a decade before some of Einstein's theories were proven correct. And that was for something that did NOT have an iffy government known for deception trying to cover up evidence.
Another thing scientists do is not trust "authority" which you appear to do without much questioning. The government has a long history of cover-ups and deception. Our first reaction should be to disbelieve anything they say. As far as evidence, if I'm not mistaken it took more than a decade before some of Einstein's theories were proven correct. And that was for something that did NOT have an iffy government known for deception trying to cover up evidence.
Cuthbert, I hear you saying: heck u all, ain't no such thing as authority. taking it a step further I got a very smart friend who says Einstein was full of shit and that the data satellites sends down is rigged! So there. It's "authority" against "authority" __________________________________ Your turn :cheese:
Our first reaction should be to disbelieve anything they (that would be NASA) say.
Why?

Our first reaction should be to place an extra-solar craft at the bottom of the list of possibilities.

Another thing scientists do is not trust "authority" which you appear to do without much questioning. The government has a long history of cover-ups and deception. Our first reaction should be to disbelieve anything they say.
I'd like to see some evidence of this.
You miss the point. My point was, if there was evidence, we'd never know because the government would go to great lengths to keep it a secret. Simply putting out an official report that says "there's no evidence" is similar to (sort of an inverse of) a fundie saying god exists because it says so in the bible. And Lois, you've definitely got your little game perfected. Any point you disagree with you play the "evidence" card. I'm all for evidence as the surest way to the truth, but there are times when there just isn't evidence as yet. And lack of it can't and shouldn't stop speculation and shouldn't automatically label someone as a crackpot. If lack of evidence was considered instant crackpottery, Einstein would be the leading crackpot of the 20th century!
I don"t see where speculation is ever stopped, no matter what anyone says. What needs to be done is to bring rationality--and common sense--so conspiracy theories. Conspiracy theories are woefully lacking both. What, by the way, is YOUR sure way to the truth? If you can't support your claims you shouldn't make them. You prove you know nothing about what evidence is. Einstein did not make claims without plenty of evidence to back them up. That there was a piece missing from the evidence did not mean he didn't have any. it's time you learned something about science and the scientific method.
If you can't support your claims you shouldn't make them. You prove you know nothing about what evidence is. Einstein did not make claims without plenty of evidence to back them up. That there was a piece missing from the evidence did not mean he didn't have any. it's time you learned something about science and the scientific method.
I agree 100 percent. Just think about it rationally and you'll realize the odds of an alien species knowing about us are incredibly small. Interstellar travel is even less likely. An unidentified spot on a video feed being an interstellar craft is about as likely as a white rabbit spontaneously appearing out of thin air and leading a child into a fantasy land. Might happen if NASA develops Douglas Adams' Infinite Improbability Drive, but otherwise we're a tiny outpost of life in a vast, inhospitable universe. Get over the conspiracy theory and take Lois' advice. I recommend The Physics of Star Trek by Lawrence Krauss as a start.
http://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/nasa-responds-to-ufo-video/3423455.html A few days later, NASA answered the questions and theories offered online by people who call themselves “UFO hunters." NASA spokesman Daniel Huot told the technology magazine CNET that the station "regularly passes out of range," which causes the video signal to disappear. He also said that the video was part of the NASA’s High Definition Earth Viewing experiment. The project includes many different cameras. They are on “automatic controls to cycle through the various cameras," he said. So, NASA says, there is no person watching or controlling the video. Huot said the bright object could have been the moon, space debris, or just reflections from the station windows. And that's What's Trending Today.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-accused-of-cutting-live-feed-of-mysterious-ufo/
:smirk: