My religion

Whenever I read an article about the results of a poll asking people about their religious beliefs and affiliations, I wonder how I would answer some of the questions. I’m an atheist and I’m a Unitarian who, until recently, went to the Society (church) every Sunday, September through May. I now live 40 miles from there, so I don’t go there anymore.
Most of the members of our Society are atheists including any preachers we hire. We have no prayer, no worship, no religious hymns, no god-talk from the pulpit. So where do we fit in the polls?
Anyway, I read somewhere in one of these forums that, of course, atheists are unaffiliated. There’s no, “of course,” about it.
So that’s my introduction to me.

Whenever I read an article about the results of a poll asking people about their religious beliefs and affiliations, I wonder how I would answer some of the questions. I'm an atheist and I'm a Unitarian who, until recently, went to the Society (church) every Sunday, September through May. I now live 40 miles from there, so I don't go there anymore. Most of the members of our Society are atheists including any preachers we hire. We have no prayer, no worship, no religious hymns, no god-talk from the pulpit. So where do we fit in the polls? Anyway, I read somewhere in one of these forums that, of course, atheists are unaffiliated. There's no, "of course," about it. So that's my introduction to me.
Not sure what you're getting at here, but atheists have many affiliations. An atheist can be a humanist or a Unitarian or belong to a Rationalist Society, for example. Of course atheists are "affiliated" with any secular organization where atheism is not an issue. It's true that atheism is one thing, a lack of belief in a god. But atheists are not just one thing and have many affiliations. I may be missing your point. Maybe you can explain exactly what you mean when you say atheists are unaffiliated. Lois

When I talked about being affiliated, I was paraquoting something I read in someone else’s post in a different forum. I know from personal experience that one can be an atheist and be affiliated with a “church," even a christian one—my Methodist mother called herself an agnostic; she was really an atheist, I think.
My post was to introduce myself, and I thought commenting on something interesting I had read on these pages would be a good way to do that, so I did.

Welcome, Sepi 1. If I was going to attend a church it would be Unitarian. Hope you stick around and contribute.

Whenever I read an article about the results of a poll asking people about their religious beliefs and affiliations, I wonder how I would answer some of the questions. I'm an atheist and I'm a Unitarian who, until recently, went to the Society (church) every Sunday, September through May. I now live 40 miles from there, so I don't go there anymore. Most of the members of our Society are atheists including any preachers we hire. We have no prayer, no worship, no religious hymns, no god-talk from the pulpit. So where do we fit in the polls? Anyway, I read somewhere in one of these forums that, of course, atheists are unaffiliated. There's no, "of course," about it. So that's my introduction to me.
Not sure what you're getting at here, but atheists have many affiliations... It's true than atheism is one thing, a lack of belief in a god... Lois Right. It can get confusing because some will equate atheism with something else, at times. e.g., when someone equates humanism to atheism. Atheism, is simply one thing, i.e., not believing in a supreme deity. That's it. Theoretically, you could be the Pope and be an atheist (although you would be wise to keep quiet about it, if that were the case).
When I talked about being affiliated, I was paraquoting something I read in someone else's post in a different forum. I know from personal experience that one can be an atheist and be affiliated with a “church," even a christian one—my Methodist mother called herself an agnostic; she was really an atheist, I think. My post was to introduce myself, and I thought commenting on something interesting I had read on these pages would be a good way to do that, so I did.
Good and welcome. Everyone who calls himself or herself an agnostic is an atheist. "Agnostic" does not relate to belief, it relates to knowledge. "Atheism" is a lack belief and has nothing to do with knowledge. She probably shrank from the word. But if she did not have a positive belief that a god exists she was an atheist. Having doubts does not mean a person is not an atheist. Lois
“Agnostic" does not relate to belief, it relates to knowledge. “Atheism" is a lack belief and has nothing to do with knowledge.
Interesting. The difference as others have expressed it to me is that an Agnostic does not know whether or not God exists. An Atheist is certain that God does not exist. At least that is how it has been explained to me my some of the die-hard Atheists (with their Invisible Pink Unicorns and such). Since it cannot be proven one way or the other, by my understanding I am an Agnostic. By yours I am an Atheist. I'm content to go by either. Just don't call me a Christian. :-)
Welcome Sepi 1. I too am a Uniterian or I should say a UU as the Uniterians and Universalist have been united for over 50 years. And you are right as we have no creed or dogma and most of us hardly ever use the word church but prefer to call ourselves a fellowship. I feel you will find yourself welcome here and there is no need to label yourself atheist, agnostic or anything else else . When in a group and asked to define myself I point a finger at my chest and say, "I am me", and don't even think that is necessary here. So again, welcome.
“Agnostic" does not relate to belief, it relates to knowledge. “Atheism" is a lack belief and has nothing to do with knowledge.
Interesting. The difference as others have expressed it to me is that an Agnostic does not know whether or not God exists. An Atheist is certain that God does not exist. At least that is how it has been explained to me my some of the die-hard Atheists (with their Invisible Pink Unicorns and such). Since it cannot be proven one way or the other, by my understanding I am an Agnostic. By yours I am an Atheist. I'm content to go by either. Just don't call me a Christian. :-)
Most atheists I know do not define an atheist as someone who is certain god does not exist. The word atheism itself gives its meaning a=without; theism=belief in god. An atheist is a person without a belief in god. That's it. Anyone who is "certain" that god does not exist is making a claim that should be supported be objective evidence, just as the person who is "certain" a god exists should provide objective evidence to support the claim. An "agnostic" is just confused. Ask someone who calls himself an agnostic if he believes a god exists. If he says he doesn't know, he is saying he doesn't know whether he believes in god or not. That is not an agnostic, it is a fool who doesn't know his own mind. "Agnostic" is not a third choice between theist and atheist' despite what Huxley said. He had it wrong. It was never a necessary word. One either believes in god and is a theist or he does not, and is an atheist. It's one or the other. There is no in-between. No one is required to "know" that god exists or that he does not exist. Some theists will say they know god exists and some atheists will say they know god does not exist. Thay are something other than atheists or agnostics. Another word should be used for them. Deluded springs to mind. Lois

I have that same problem of not living anywhere near the type of church/society that I would like to attend. OTOH, when I moved away from the city, where there were lots of choices, I was forced to think about what I wanted, and realized atheism was a far better choice than anything I had found anywhere.
As for affiliations and labels, I let people call themselves whatever they want, it is only a conversation starter. I don’t argue with them about their self-labeling being wrong, I let them explain to me why they choose it. I might disagree with them on their conclusions or their methods, but not on their labels.