Music Review: Ben Johnston String Quartets Nos. 6, 7, & 8

In case anyone here is into music, I’ve been pretty into this album lately and did a little write-up:
https://andrewmeronek.com/2016/10/01/music-review-ben-johnston-string-quartets-nos-6-7-8/

Nice review. I took a chance and have it downloading from the iTunes Store as I type.

Thanks! If you agree or disagree, I’d like to know! :slight_smile:

Finally got around to listening to the album this morning. I love it. Reading the article by Kyle Gann while listening made appreciate the music much more, as I gained a better understanding of just how difficult this is to play. The opening piece reminded me of early Pink Floyd. After that I can’t say the music reminded me of anything I’ve heard previously. This makes fantastic background music, but is even better if you listen intently. There is a lot going on here and will withstand repeated listening sessions.

Early Pink Floyd - that’s a reference I didn’t catch when I was listening. Glad you dug it. :slight_smile:
FYI my mother observed that, after listening to the second, “middle” movement of the 7th, the players sounded really itchy.
Always interesting to see how people make connections to music they haven’t heard before.