Misconceptions About Change

This might be interesting.

Widespread misperceptions of long-term attitude change

America is embroiled in cultural wars over abortion, immigration, gun control, climate change, religion, race, gender, and everything in between. Do people know how much attitudes have shifted on these contentious issues, or even which side is winning? Two preregistered studies suggest they do not. In Study 1, we asked a nationally representative sample of participants to estimate how 51 different attitudes had changed over time and compared their estimates to actual polling data. Participants overestimated the amount of change on 29 attitudes (57%), underestimated change on 10 attitudes (20%), estimated change in the wrong direction on 10 attitudes (20%), and estimated change correctly on only two attitudes (4%). In most cases, participants did not know whether an attitude had grown to a majority or shrunk to a minority. These misperceptions had little to do with participants’ demographics or ideologies and seemed instead to arise from a stereotype that the present is far more liberal than the past. Indeed, in Study 2, participants overestimated the liberal shift on most attitudes, believing that the liberal side had gained ground that it had in fact lost (e.g., gun control), or already held (e.g., climate change), or never held (e.g., religion). In three additional preregistered studies, we found that these misperceptions could justify policies that would otherwise seem objectionable. Overall, our findings suggest that widely shared stereotypes of the past lead people to misperceive attitude change, and these misperceptions can lend legitimacy to policies that people may not actually prefer.

Overall, progressives think America is much more conservative than it really is and don’t realize they’ve been in charge since the 70s.

It’s a worthless study if it doesn’t address the amount of deliberate strategic deception going on!

And it does not.

It’s interesting but it misses the problem by miles.

Since America has become more progressive over the past few generations, something else must be going on besides the Right Wing boogeyman pulling strings you see around every corner.

Do you really mean that? That’s not how sociology works. You can’t do a study that identifies a problem and offers a solution all in one, then gathers evidence to back up the foregone conclusion.

Sorry I’ve been tainted by decades watching the malicious calculatedly dishonesty Climate Science communication travesty - and one study after another, all about communicating science, but they never touch on what to do when you are being confronted by malicious dishonest frauds for profit.

So basically the climate science community has been like a deer in the headlight with thumb up the, oh never mind.

Freedom of speech indeed, it’s been more like freedom of those who wield the most ruthless misinformation bludgeon.

But then we’ve covered this ground before. And still, at every bend, our leaders, business and political, seem to make shit decisions whether Bush/Cheney - or Putin/trump, same poop just different day. Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Heck I wonder why Tucker shouldn’t be tossed in jail for aiding and abetting Putin? I mean has it become okay to scream FIRE in a theater, if there’s no fire cause you just want to raise mayhem for the shear pleasure of watching pandemonium?

Of course, considering that Texas and now Idaho seems to be heck bent on bringing back the ‘respectability’ vigilantism to America, perhaps nature should run its course. Although, I’ll bet Tucker stays well within his guarded security luxury compounds and never faces real America anyways, no never mind.

I was personally surprised to find out concern over climate change has been that high for that long.

I image there’s a whole bunch that would surprise you given a bit of good faith homework on your part. :wink:

Well yeah, one side being able to build an entirely fictional understanding of our physical environment and the fundamental geophysical rules that Earth exists by.

That’s not just a casual aside. Turning science into something to maliciously attack and try to reduce to a joke, who’s finding are to be dismissed with idiotic shallow casualness - that is not just a cute trick, it has far reaching consequences the we are experiencing and that will turn our children’s world into a living hell.

yada, yada, yada, just like philosophy. It’s about the studying, dare not draw any conclusions, cause it’s not about that.

The study does nothing to understand the public discourse problem, since that’s not the goal anyways, the goal is to publish papers and don’t rock the career boat.

What you’re saying is not science. “Follow the data” is a basic principle.

Again, if that is what’s happening, it’s not working. Most people trust climate science and have for a long time.

IDK CC, sometimes that one guy appears to live in an alternate universe

1 Like

How so? The graphs say otherwise.

I would call that nonsense. There’s a difference between cheap talk on advertisements, and actual appreciation for the facts and consequences and then doing something about it.
It requires some homework to seriously understand the scientific underpinnings.
Most people are clueless (as Mike Yohe’s twisted renditions demonstrate) as today’s lack of serious public discussion and action makes clear.

Christ if any serious percent of the people, (that would include the masters of the universe, business leaders, their politician pets, their publicity campaign networks, had a clue, let alone gave a damned - our global resources wouldn’t still be squandered on insanity like this big dick war games of mass destruction between “east” and “west” we seem so disgustingly addicted to.

Guy, aren’t you a fan of FOX and perhaps even BreitBart and Newsmax? You sure come off sounding that way quite often. Be clear no one over there believes this “Follow the data” meme you wave - look at the entire Trumpkin MAGA Movement, it’s entire foundation is based on avoiding the data
and instead exploitation of deception, beginning with the Obama Birther lie, and the trumpsters then went from lie to lie, which also included high crimes and treason again American interests and its Constitution.

Those outlets ( FOX, BreitBart, Newsmax, and their masses of brainwashed unfortunates) are all about selling a storyline using emotionalizing, malicious projection and avoiding any sort of sober assessment of the facts and fundamentals at hand, be they socio-economic or earth-sciences related, and so on and so forth.

About climate change

Republican climate rhetoric shifts (again), but the goal remains the same.
By David Roberts@drvolts Updated Oct 31, 2018

Republicans Can Understand Science and Still Deny Climate Change

Climate skeptics aren’t generally more science illiterate than everyone else, according to a new poll.
By Robinson Meyer
OCTOBER 5, 2016

Climate Deniers in the 117th Congress

There are 139 elected officials in the 117th Congress who still deny the scientific consensus of human-caused climate change.
MAR 30, 2021

How G.O.P. Leaders Came to View Climate Change as Fake Science

By Coral Davenport and Eric Lipton

• June 3, 2017
    WASHINGTON — The campaign ad appeared during the presidential contest of 2008. Rapid-fire images of belching smokestacks and melting ice sheets were followed by a soothing narrator who praised a candidate who had stood up to President George W. Bush and “sounded the alarm on global warming.”

It was not made for a Democrat, but for Senator John McCain, who had just secured the Republican nomination.

It is difficult to reconcile the Republican Party of 2008 with the party of 2017, whose leader, President Trump, has called global warming a hoax, reversed environmental policies that Mr. McCain advocated on his run for the White House, …

The Depravity of Climate-Change Denial

Risking civilization for profit, ideology and ego.
Nov. 26, 2018

Want some cold hard facts to follow?

AR6 Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis

The Working Group I contribution to the Sixth Assessment Report addresses the most up-to-date physical understanding of the climate system and climate change, bringing together the latest advances in climate science, and combining multiple lines of evidence from paleoclimate, observations, process understanding, and global and regional climate simulations.

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg1/

AR6 Climate Change 2022: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability

The Working Group II contribution to the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report assesses the impacts of climate change, looking at ecosystems, biodiversity, and human communities at global and regional levels. It also reviews vulnerabilities and the capacities and limits of the natural world and human societies to adapt to climate change.

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg2/

Could I see one of these graphs? I’m counting big trucks, the lack of people asking their candidates, it not being on the news every night, people around me saying it’s not real…

Glad to see that. Whenever I see a graph, I always want to check the methodology. “Worried” is pretty broad. Pew Research says a majority are “willing to do something”

But even that, what is “something”? Change their laundry detergent, or dismantle their recreational vehicle so it never pollutes again? Check out the difference in age, also the difference in political affiliation. Who do you think owns the oil companies? Pew shows steep rises in the last 5 years, probably due to gas prices, hurricanes and fires. All of this was predicted. People need to have the consequences come home to them before they act. With Climate Change, that means too little will happen too late.