minus absolute zero… SAY WHAT

:bug: Oh lordie, it’s hard enough listening to folks seriously discussing the reality of time.
Now I came a cross an article that’s l (I want to say it’s like what a Phish concert is to music, but i won’t)
well okay I don’t have a clue what it’s like, beyond mind blowing.
… They’re telling me to imagine temperature as a loop…
in order to comprehend achieving below absolute zero temperatures. :grrr:
Guess I’m too down to Earth for some of this stuff. Time is real as ocean waves.
And atoms stopping all motion = absolute zero, works just fine for me.
Asking me to think of temperatures popping through that ground floor, and then tossing in a loop?
Some notions my mind expands into real easy, others, are water drops on a red hot skillet.

Any one here ever hear minus absolute zero? This article’s actually three years old

Atoms Reach Record Temperature, Colder than Absolute Zero by Charles Q. Choi, Live Science Contributor | January 03, 2013 http://www.livescience.com/25959-atoms-colder-than-absolute-zero.html?li_source=LI&li_medium=more-from-livescience Absolute zero is often thought to be the coldest temperature possible. But now researchers show they can achieve even lower temperatures for a strange realm of "negative temperatures." Oddly, another way to look at these negative temperatures is to consider them hotter than infinity, researchers added. … Bizarro negative temperatures To comprehend the negative temperatures scientists have now devised, one might think of temperature as existing on a scale that is actually a loop, not linear. Positive temperatures make up one part of the loop, while negative temperatures make up the other part. When temperatures go either below zero or above infinity on the positive region of this scale, they end up in negative territory. … [ "The inverted Boltzmann distribution is the hallmark of negative absolute temperature, and this is what we have achieved," said researcher Ulrich Schneider, a physicist at the University of Munich in Germany. "Yet the gas is not colder than zero kelvin, but hotter. It is even hotter than at any positive temperature — the temperature scale simply does not end at infinity, but jumps to negative values instead." …
Then they get into the experiment, wow. I'll leave that for some of you more equipped folks. Yipes, then they toss in the sales pitch New kinds of engines
Negative temperatures could be used to create heat engines — engines that convert heat energy to mechanical work, such as combustion engines — that are more than 100-percent efficient, something seemingly impossible. Such engines would essentially not only absorb energy from hotter substances, but also colder ones. As such, the work the engine performed could be larger than the energy taken from the hotter substance alone.
I think I'll back track my links, right on back to Antarctica where I started. It's scarier territory but at least it don't make my head spin.
As such, the work the engine performed could be larger than the energy taken from the hotter substance alone.
I don't think so, Tim. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.