Letter From God

One of my favorite movies is Oh God (1st one only). If you haven’t seen it, it’s actually very anti-religious. My question is, how accurate do you think it was? How WOULD people react if say a person claimed to have a letter from God (in the movie it was God talking to John Denver) and the letter said “stop wasting your time going to church and praying, and start helping each other out, regardless of your religion. And throw those stupid holy books away, I didn’t write or inspire them”? Let’s even say the letter contained information that only God could know (whatever that is) to make it appear genuine.

One of my favorite movies is Oh God (1st one only). If you haven't seen it, it's actually very anti-religious. My question is, how accurate do you think it was? How WOULD people react if say a person claimed to have a letter from God (in the movie it was God talking to John Denver) and the letter said "stop wasting your time going to church and praying, and start helping each other out, regardless of your religion. And throw those stupid holy books away, I didn't write or inspire them"? Let's even say the letter contained information that only God could know (whatever that is) to make it appear genuine.
It would be as authentic as an old coin that has 20 BC written on it. The idea of god saying "stop praying" is an intersting one, though. Lois

CuthbertJ,
I think the movie was right on target.
Praying to God was one of the changes in the NT.
For example, you would praise RA, but you would pray to the other gods. This is because RA was the MAIN god. And the lesser gods you would pray to for personal favors. But you did not ask the Main god for personal favors, you would just praise the main god.
The Christian religion started out as Gnostic, therefore you would just praise god. Then the Roman version took over and the meaning of god changed and then you would pray to god.
You can see this from the Gospel of Thomas that was found in the Nag Hammadi Library. In the secret sayings which the living Jesus spoke and Didymos Judas Thomas wrote down. These books did not meet the Roman standards and were therefore left out of the bible and banded.
(6) His disciples questioned him and said to him, “Do you want us to fast? How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we observe?”
Jesus said, “Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for all things are plain in the sight of heaven. For nothing hidden will not become manifest, and nothing covered will remain without being uncovered.”

I seek no letter from any god but I would appreciate a reply from Santa on my request that he brings me the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.