Is this limited to Bing?

I just did a search for, “is the theory of evolution true”, using the search engine Bing.

This is what I see…

That’s a scary thing to see.

What’s going on? How are they getting top billing? Is that the same for other search engines?

I did the same search on Google and the top hits were a science-oriented entry on Wikipedia and scientific articles from Live Science, the Economist, the National Geographic and Qanta magazine. You may be using the wrong search engine.

Apparently Bing has a crap algorithm or is open to cheating in some way.

I’m at work, so I don’t know that I can change the search engine.

Using the internet to do research just got a lot sketchier.

It’s actually worse than I thought. These two screenshots are from the first page of results…

Over half of the results are religious denials of evolution.

What the hell is going on?

This may help you to do a Google search on a computer that has a different search engine installed.

You can go directly to Google.com by typing in http://google.com into your web browser. That will take you to the main Google web site, which is designed to serve the United States plus the world in general.

If you are outside the United States, you may prefer to go to the version of Google designed for your own country. You’ll find a list of country-specific versions of Google shown on this page.

Google also offers a variety of “vertical” search engines, which are versions of Google that let you search just for particular types of material like images, videos or news stories. If you’re interested in specific content like this, it may make more sense to search starting at one of these subject-specific versions of Google. You’ll find a list of them here, under the “search” heading.

I’ve started to use Google now. I used to have no preference, but now I’ll never use Bing.

Google is what I use but I know from searching climate change topics, that contrarians have been expert at gaming the system and forcing their crap into science searches.

I signed up for the cognitive services Bing web search API- the free version. My replies always are limited to 50. The documentation doesn’t mention a limit in replies. Does anyone know if this is a limit of the free version (I have tried using offset to see if I just needed to do a second call but offset doesn’t seem to affect my results)

I have known fewer than a couple dozen people who use Bing, and I work on computers for a living. Bing is garbage. I refuse to use it. If I’m on a customer site and need to look something up and they’re using Bing I’ll go to google.com and search from there. This is because there was one time I was installing a computer for a nice little older lady and she wanted a beach background. She used Bing. I typed in “beach background” and there, in front of a sweet older lady, I found myself suddenly looking at lots of boobies. Never again.