Is the United States a Christian Nation?

David Leon said,

Matthew 27:52-53 the Greek egeiro means simply raised up rather than resurrected back to life, and in addition to this “they” (meaning the bodies that were walking around) is a pronoun, and in Greek all pronouns have gender and “they” is masculine whereas bodies” (the bodies that were lifted up) is
in the neuter. They are not the same.

Actually, “they” are the 90% bacteria that make up the human biome.

We can even go one step deeper and consider that the “human biome” is made up from 1% human genes (us) and 99% bacterial genes (they).

In reality, “we” are more bacterial than human. Chew on that for awhile… :slight_smile:

David: “I never said I was a Christian. I’m not sure how to take this comment. It’s a forum on religion where, at least in this case, we were discussing issues relevant to the Bible.”

What is a Christian to you, David? Someone who is baptized by full immersion, had his or her feet washed, and is inhabited by the Holy Spirit? You may be well-versed in the study of the Bible but so is an academic with a professorship in religious studies. Only a practitioner of the religion would make the claim about Jesus’ existence before the Earth was created. There is no historical evidence proving the existence of this guy on this planet. According to biblical studies, of scriptural texts, in academia, Jesus’ supposed ministry was recorded by early Christians some four hundred years after the purported fact. We are digressing.

This topic is about whether or not the USA is a Christian nation. The definition of “Christian nation” needs clarification for a meaningful debate. Your contribution in this regard would be helpful.

How is it that Christians feel qualified to comment on the OT? Christians didn’t write the OT.

Christians wrote to NT. Perhaps you should restrict yourself to the book of the demi-god your religion is named after.

David leon said,

I don’t believe in anything scientific.

I take it that you are driving a horse and buggy instead of a scientific machine like an automobile. According to your statement, automobiles can’t exist, they are founded on the very scientific principles which you deny so vehemently.

Do I detect a duplicity of thought? Care to explain how it is possible that you can drive an automibile or use your computer to spout biblical nonsense.

@Sree I did that in my first post in this thread. There is no such thing as a “Christian nation” unless, as I asked the OP, they meant to imply majority Christian. To me a Christian of antiquity was a disciple, from discipline, of Christ. And yes, baptized. Today a Christian is something altogether different. The teachings have been transmogrified. But, it’s a cultural, traditional or social thing, in my opinion. Little more than that.

@Write4U

How is it that Christians feel qualified to comment on the OT? Christians didn’t write the OT.

Christians wrote to NT. Perhaps you should restrict yourself to the book of the demi-god your religion is named after.

Jews wrote the so-called OT and NT. Both misnomers based upon a Latin mistranslation of 2 Corinthians 3:14 Greek where the Greek word diathekes, meaning covenant rather than testament is used.

What happened was the Pharisees coveted the prestige and influence of the Aaronic priests, which is why Jesus had such a difficult time with them. They were self righteous and missing the heart of the law. So when Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 CE the apostate Pharisees took over. Of course, they were, by then, corrupt to the core having been influenced by Greek Philosophy since the conquest of Alexander the Great in 332 BCE.

I take it that you are driving a horse and buggy instead of a scientific machine like an automobile. According to your statement, automobiles can’t exist, they are founded on the very scientific principles which you deny so vehemently.

Do I detect a duplicity of thought? Care to explain how it is possible that you can drive an automibile or use your computer to spout biblical nonsense.

So delightfully predictable.

As are you David.

What did you mean by “believe” in science. Technically, scientists don’t believe science. They reach a conclusion based on evidence and hold something is true to the best of our knowledge, keeping in mind that our knowledge can change. But it’s just easier to say “believe”. People who aren’t like Sheldon Leonard know what you mean.

David leon said,

I don’t believe in anything scientific.

I said, if you do not believe in science do you drive a horse and buggy and do not use a computer to communicate?

David leon said,

Of course it is predictable, you said,

David leon said,

“I don’t believe in anything scientific”

I did not see any qualifiers in that statement. Do you believe that you can fool minds that are used to study scientific propositions by posting pretty pictures instead of scientific discoveries?

For that matter, do you believe that painting is a accurate representation of reality?

Predictable or not, who is the deceiver here? Be honest with yourself, man.

Lausten, please delete the duplicate post. Seems I cannot at this time.

@Write4U

I did not see any qualifiers in that statement. Do you believe that you can fool minds that are used to study scientific propositions by posting pretty pictures instead of scientific discoveries?

For that matter, do you believe that painting is a accurate representation of reality?

Predictable or not, who is the deceiver here? Be honest with yourself, man.

Pictures? Deceiver? You mean like paintings on a wall of a cave? Not to be believed.

You mean the artists renditions of giant cool looking lizards I was shown in school? That turned out to be chickens.

Ramapithecus, touted as our ancestor, reconstructed only from teeth and jaws - without a known pelvis, limb bones, or skull - a lie. Or Australopithecus. Another lie pictured in school books. Some of these for years, decades even. Nonsense!

David: “You mean the artists renditions of giant cool looking lizards I was shown in school?”

Apparently, scientific critics of Newton’s concept of gravity used his equation to check out the giant flying Jurassic lizards, stuffed down our throats at school, and estimated that they would have weighed 340 tons. The maximum take-off weight of a Boeing 737-800 is around 80 tons. The wing span of that lizard must have been enormous to provide that kind of airlift. I cannot imagine the stresses those wing bones must have taken.

David: “@Sree I did that in my first post in this thread. There is no such thing as a “Christian nation” unless, as I asked the OP, they meant to imply majority Christian. To me a Christian of antiquity was a disciple, from discipline, of Christ. And yes, baptized. Today a Christian is something altogether different. The teachings have been transmogrified. But, it’s a cultural, traditional or social thing, in my opinion. Little more than that.”

Why split hairs about what a Christian nation is? I have been to Thailand.It is a Buddhist nation. I have been to Indonesia. It is a Muslim nation though it claims to be secular. The planet is populated by some 7 billion people acculturated to four major religions: Christianity (2.3 billion), Buddhism (550 million), Hinduism (1.1 billion), and Islam (1.9 billion). To which of this four is the US acculturated to? You can only pick one.

@Sree

Why split hairs about what a Christian nation is?
Because you asked me, but I'm not splitting hairs, I'm saying Christian nation is a contradiction in terms.
I have been to Thailand.It is a Buddhist nation. I have been to Indonesia. It is a Muslim nation though it claims to be secular. The planet is populated by some 7 billion people acculturated to four major religions: Christianity (2.3 billion), Buddhism (550 million), Hinduism (1.1 billion), and Islam (1.9 billion). To which of this four is the US acculturated to? You can only pick one.
Which is why my first post read: "I think you would have to clarify exactly what you mean by Christian."

If what you want me to conclude that by majority the US is “Christian” by majority I concede. That doesn’t really mean anything other than what it says. God’s kingdom will destroy all nations, including the US, UK, UN and Israel (Revelation 11:15).

I couldn’t stomach this 14 minute video from this kid beyond 3.30 minutes. Blah blah. Sorry for being a bigot, David. I never listen to anything serious from anyone below the age of 60 even though I am 44. What’s the matter with you?

The US have a Christian foundation in its social aspects with the Puritans and other Christian immigrants. To make a country truly free, The founding fathers prevented the state from enforcing religion which includes Christianity.

Well, I don’t know about “truly free” with the 3/5 clause, but more or less on the nose.

What has the 3/5 clause got to do with Hiep’s take on a free country?

during the time of Roman occupation hundreds of Jews were nailed to a cross not just the biblical character Jesus

to another question the USA absolutely is a Christian nation

Around the world secular populations are rising France will have a majority secular population soon. So will the Netherlands and New Zealand. The United Kingdom and Australia will soon lose Christian majorities and finally America’s obscene Christian regions are losing their stranglehold.

The transition from a largely religious population to a more secular population may be so subtle that it can occur under the radar as happened during the 1990s. In the future we can expect fewer Christians given that 22% of the youngest adult Christians self-identifies as Nones. They will become tomorrow’s parents.