Is ID scientific?

@Lausten If you want to shut Sherlock Holmes down I won’t stop you. His arguments are truly absurd, with no logical or scientific basis and he is expecting us to believe what he says about his atheism and his belief of ID/Creationism and that there is some basis to such pseudoscience, which in turn just encourages ignorance of science. I need to add, in turn is counter to what CFI stands for- REAL science.

Discussions about moderation will be strictly limited to the Issues and Complaints section. You have the thread you started title Toxic Environment, or start a new one.

I’m afraid I must disagree on that.

Minor misunderstandings of words can easily be cleared up and should be handled with respectful dialog, not calling people “annoying” or accusing them of misreading your posts. We won’t ban you because someone disagreed about the size of a dog, but might do so for how you handled the disagreement.

Madam you have an annoying habit of misreading what is posted and then attacking me for something I did not say. This began when you pointed out that Greyhounds are not small which is true but not what I said, if you reread you’ll see for yourself I said “Italian Greyhound”.

Now you claim that I said I am an atheist but again I said no such thing, I said I used to be an atheist.

So seeking to “shut me down” on the basis things I never actually said leaves me bereft of confidence that you or Lausten have any real grasp of what moderation is.

@Holmes

Now you claim that I said I am an atheist but again I said no such thing, I said I used to be an atheist.

OK so you used to be an atheist, that still doesn’t make pseudoscience true. The reason why it is called pseudoscience is that it makes things sound plausible, but when placed under a microscope they are not accurate. CFI is for proven science, not for pseudoscience and calling me annoying and misreading your posts doesn’t help your case of insisting Intelligent Design/Creationism is true and a real science. Ken Ham has been debunked over and over again, just as god smiting people with the plague has been debunked with the real science of germ theory. All Lausten and I want you to do is show legitimate research supporting your conclusion that ID/Creationism is a real science, which you have not done. You’ve only argued, “It’s true!” “Why can’t there be a supreme being who did this?” etc all while insisting you’ve read convincing articles, books, etc on the subject, yet not shown anything viable or using the scientific method. Basically, you’ve stated, calling it ID, another rendition of yet another creation story without naming your deity, which really sounds like the Monkey Trials all over again. When we point out such things, you get upset and accuse us of misinterpreting you or saying things you didn’t say. Thing is, you just said, you did follow Sarak, but then decided seeking Sha Ka Ree was better, but since you cannot see that was what you said, you’re going to say you didn’t say that and appreciate anyone showing you the absurdity of your statements. Then you’ll get upset because we mods threaten you with being banned due to how you express yourself and spamming the board. You can’t even see how what you are saying is spam when pointed out to you. Sorry, for the you messages, but while you might comprehend religious midrash and metaphors, you can’t comprehend secular ones, which is basically what I’ve done by comparing you to Sybok. I’m sure there others in this forum who understood what I’ve said with my Star Trek metaphors, but then again, many of us here are nerds.

Mriana said,

At one time people thought germ theory was just that- a theory, but it turns out that germs are very much the basis of what causes illnesses not some deity’s wrath.

Yes, germs were demons which had to be exorcised by prayer and sprinkling holy water and a lot of shouting for the demon to leave and go back to where it came from.

Extremely advanced medical treatment, unfortunately never effective. If the patient recovered it was by his/her own immunity, not the holy water.

Extremely advanced medical treatment, unfortunately never effective. If the patient recovered it was by his/her own immunity, not the holy water.

Exactly and recently (or maybe not so recent) it’s been found that holy water has fecal matter in it, which also carries a lot of germs. So much for the left hand theory. The right hand is just as nasty. lol

And, you just repeated this argument again. If you are going to repeat that empiricism is faith, then you are not engaging in scientific discussion. I’m going to ban you for the next 48 hours. We’ll see how it goes after that.

A point I’ve been laboring to get across to you and others is that you seem unaware that your are empiricists and the self assurance you exhibit is unwarranted. The empiricist is of course reasonable and rational but accepts on faith that empricism is the only way to truth, but this cannot be proven which is why there are a great many people – like me – who have not based our reality on empiricism.

@Holmes

I’m sorry but I never mentioned a “Sarak” or “Sha Ka Ree” are we still discussing science or have you moved onto mythology now?

And you say I misunderstand or misinterpret what you said. It’s not what you said, it’s the similarity.

IMHO, I think that last post Holmes posted necessitates banning for more than 48 hours, maybe even permanently. It was very uncalled for and no one else has addressed others in such a manner in this thread. It is also another violation of the rules, which isn’t helping your case, Holmes.

I don’t see that post now. I’m guessing it’s been deleted and rightfully so.

Apparently my powers are limited. I meant to temporarily ban Sherlock, but instead all of his posts disappeared. If this is a problem for anyone, feel free to flame me in the Issues and Complaints section.

The post Mriana is referring to had that one word that anyone anywhere knows will get them banned from just about anything.

Sherlock Holmes said,

But this is not as simple as you make it appear, for example all you need to do is “that’s not legitimate” research and dismiss whatever I show you, so why go down that road? I could suggest you examine Signature in the Cell a book or Darwin’s Doubt another book, I regard this as just as legitimate as Darwins Origin of species, so there you are these are fine examples of what you ask for, of course you’ll dismiss them though.

Who says it is simple? This is one of your projections, while in the same breath you accuse others of projecting on you.

Explain to me what the Cambrian explosion entailed that makes it “unlikely” to have happened the way science has reconstructed the “epoch”.

The Cambrian explosion was not an event. It was a new age in the oxygenated ecosphere of the earth and the evolution of the DNA based Eukaryotic species, which introduced a whole new method of procreation, which lasted from between 13 to 24 million years. A 24 million year long “event”?

Before the Cambrian era there were no Eukaryotic species. There were only Prokaryotic species which were able to photosynthesize solar energy, producing oxygen as a by-product.

Prokaryotes developed about 350 million years ago, during the Paleozoic or the Precambrian. The oxygenated atmosphere was made about 250 million years, during the same period of time.

Prokaryotes are single-celled organisms that are the earliest and most primitive forms of life on earth. As organized in the Three Domain System , prokaryotes include bacteria and archaeans . Some prokaryotes, such as cyanobacteria, are photosynthetic organisms and are capable of photosynthesis.
https://www.thoughtco.com/prokaryotes-meaning-373369

Thus the pre-Cambrian period was RNA based and responsible for the production of oxygen in the atmosphere which allowed for the newer DNA based Eukaryotic species to thrive and exponentially increase in numbers and variety.

All very evolutionary without any need or sign of divine interference or an intelligent designer. It all designed itself in accordance with the inherent laws of nature.

Ask yourself why we use hot-houses to grow stuff. Things grow faster in a hot-house, no? That is because hot-houses are mini cambrian growing sites.

Hot, wet, oxygenated air makes things growwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww…

Sorry for messing up the thread Write4. Sherlock will live on in quoted text, but it’s going to look like we were all arguing with a ghost.

Sherlock Holmes said,

“which is why there are a great many people – like me – who have not based our reality on empiricism”.

Lets unpack that last sentence and see where that leads us.

Empiricism

It is worth remembering that empiricism does not hold that we have empirical knowledge automatically. Rather, according to the empiricist view, for any knowledge to be properly inferred or deduced, it is to be gained ultimately from one's sense-based experience.[2] As a historical matter, philosophical empiricism is commonly contrasted with the philosophical school of thought known as "rationalism" which, in very broad terms, asserts that much knowledge is attributable to reason independently of the senses. However, this contrast is today considered to be an extreme oversimplification of the issues involved, because the main continental rationalists (Descartes, Spinoza and Leibniz) were also advocates of the empirical "scientific method" of their day.
https://psychology.wikia.org/wiki/Empiricism

Acording to Sherlock we do not need to have empirical proof of what he has written. He expects us to “divine” what he is saying through “rationalism”.

Neat trick, evidence is not required.

And they’re back. It’s a miracle.

But note the status “Blocked” under his name.

@lausten

Sorry for messing up the thread Write4. Sherlock will live on in quoted text, but it’s going to look like we were all arguing with a ghost.
Just as well. Any person here arguing with themselves is a more intellectual conversation than that drivel was.

And I just got 87 emails of all the notifications he ever sent. When the posts were reinstated, all the rules must have run against them.

This baby didn’t come with a manual, but I know not to hit that setting again.

Robert Hazen posits that evolution already starts at the mineral level, where certain combinations yield a stronger, more efficient molecule which eventually replaces other weaker bonded specimen.

Evolution is nothing more than a mathematical probability. It is a surving product of mutation and natural selection of those mutations which naturally provide a survival advantage over other competitors.

This is by no means precise and predictable. There are still species who evolved purely by chance in an isolated habitat and more or less protected from predation or disease.

The Silvery Salamander is such a aberration of evolution. While it mates with males of different species, the female cannot accept the male sperm. The female already has two strands of her own DNA and any additional chromosomes would destroy the template.

Therefore, her offspring are all identical and clones of the mother. This makes the species extremely vulnerable and there are only a few dozen families in existence.

Behaviour Lacking its own males, the LJJ biotype breeds with male Blue-Spotted or Jefferson Salamanders from March to April. The males’ spermatophores only stimulate egg development; their genetic material does not contribute to the offspring’s DNA. This mode of reproduction is called gynogenesis. The females lay cylindrical egg masses and attach them to underwater twigs. It is not often observed and its diet and lifestyle are unknown.

Habitat and range
These salamanders live almost anywhere between south-central Michigan to adjacent Indiana and Ohio to western Massachusetts south to northern New Jersey. They are commonly found in or near shallow rivers and ponds in deciduous forest. There is an extremely limited population of the salamanders in Vermilion County, Illinois with only one remaining natural population known. They are considered endangered within the state. Theory states that the population may have dropped due to the vernal pool in which they live not retaining water for a long enough period for their tadpoles to reach metamorphosis

IMO, the survival of non-intelligent designs is proof that evolution is a probabilistic function and not a product of intentional creation.

@ Lausten

I did an edit and lost the post. But I remembered that in MY ACCOUNT all my posts are saved under “Activity” .

I did a copy and paste from there to this thread and it showed very nicely as #314665

Perhaps this procedure may help retaining posts in the thread, until the program has been refined to accept edits.

This Nova video may shed some light on the evolution from mineral to bio-chemics, to living biology.

Perhaps this procedure may help retaining posts in the thread, until the program has been refined to accept edits.
Many of us were composing offline then copying in because the old problem of being flagged as a duplicate. That was before I was a mod so I don't know where those posts disappeared to. I'm hesitant to make suggestions for work-arounds just to get your posts published. On the other hand, this problem has persisted.