Is God a boy or girl?

I’m curious what a Christian might think if you asked them ‘Is God a boy or girl?’. I think that little question gets to the heart of the psychological underpinning of their belief system. My guess would be most would say “boy”, none would say “girl” (even the girls), and maybe a few might say “none of the above, god’s an it”.

Trying to explain why God is a guy and not a girl is probably the only good reason left to bring Freud into any discussion. Poor, old, good Freud. I guess he meant well, trying to be all scientific and stuff.

Even when I believed in all that hoohah, I had trouble accepting that God was a dude. I mean, if there’s only one and it has and always will be then why does it even need a gender? It doesn’t need to reproduce, it has no society to assign it a gender role. It made no sense even to my 14 year old brain.

Even when I believed in all that hoohah, I had trouble accepting that God was a dude. I mean, if there’s only one and it has and always will be then why does it even need a gender? It doesn’t need to reproduce, it has no society to assign it a gender role. It made no sense even to my 14 year old brain.
There's an easy solution to this conundrum DM. just sneak up behind him when he isn't looking, say while he's conjuring up hurricane to kill thousands for allowing homosexual marriage, and peek under his robe! Seein' is believein'! Cap't Jack

Come on all of you heathens. Just read the old testament where they use the personal pronoun rather than the word “god”. It’s always “he” or “him”. Since they talked with that being, they would certainly have used “she” if it was a female or “it” if it were androgenous. :lol:
Occam

Come on all of you heathens. Just read the old testament where they use the personal pronoun rather than the word “god". It’s always “he" or “him". Since they talked with that being, they would certainly have used “she" if it was a female or “it" if it were androgenous.
Wha... Gasp, are you trying to say that the bible was written entirely by men with no input from females at any stage of its development? and that the bible reflects the paternalistic society of the authors? I mean if you control all aspects of your culture why can't you make your god a macho male who dominates and kills indiscriminately anyone who gets in his way? I mean would a woman grow a long white beard and turn herself into a burning bush just to talk to his pal? I think not. Personally I used to think that god was androgynous. Cap't Jack
There's an easy solution to this conundrum DM. just sneak up behind him when he isn't looking, say while he's conjuring up hurricane to kill thousands for allowing homosexual marriage, and peek under his robe! Seein' is believein'!
I don't know, man. According to the Bible, just looking at the face of God results in death. I don't even want to think of what would happen if I tried to sneak a peek at Its no-nos.
I don’t know, man. According to the Bible, just looking at the face of God results in death. I don’t even want to think of what would happen if I tried to sneak a peek at Its no-nos.
Yeah DM, but the bible doesn't say anything about checking out its no nos! Cap't Jack

True. That is true. Still, I think I’ll pass. It is an asexual, cosmic space-thing. It probably has a horrible squid-face under there that’ll turn me into a living mummy or something.

True. That is true. Still, I think I’ll pass. It is an asexual, cosmic space-thing. It probably has a horrible squid-face under there that’ll turn me into a living mummy or something.
Ah ha! This is where the flying spaghetti monster really lives. How's that for irony?! Cap't Jack
I'm curious what a Christian might think if you asked them 'Is God a boy or girl?'. I think that little question gets to the heart of the psychological underpinning of their belief system. My guess would be most would say "boy", none would say "girl" (even the girls), and maybe a few might say "none of the above, god's an it".
There is no way that something that does not exist could be either.
There is no way that something that does not exist could be either.
Oh yeah Deros? Zeus is a guy, so is Wotan and Ahura Mazda, and Allah, and all of their prophets are guys too. And none of them existed either. And the women are just temptresses and minions of the evil gods, eve as an example. She was responsible for all babies being born bad. Cap't Jack

Amaterasu, the central deity of Shintoism, is a chick. Bast was one of the most beloved of the ancient Egyptian pantheon. In Hinduism, Adi Parashakti is the ultimate creator and destroyer of the universe. And for how sexist the Greeks were, they loved Athena.

Amaterasu, the central deity of Shintoism, is a chick. Bast was one of the most beloved of the ancient Egyptian pantheon. In Hinduism, Adi Parashakti is the ultimate creator and destroyer of the universe. And for how sexist the Greeks were, they loved Athena.
Yeah DM, but all of the guy god's can beat the crap out of the gal gods. How many of them can throw lightening bolts and pitch hammers? Ok, I'll give you Athena as she is the patron goddess of wisdom, war, industry and the arts and she did defeat the Amazons in a stand up fight. I also like her helmet, and she hung out with Nike. The rest of em'? Pishaw! Cap't Jack
Yeah DM, but all of the guy god's can beat the crap out of the gal gods. How many of them can throw lightening bolts and pitch hammers? Ok, I'll give you Athena as she is the patron goddess of wisdom, war, industry and the arts and she did defeat the Amazons in a stand up fight. I also like her helmet, and she hung out with Nike. The rest of em'? Pishaw!
Well, Amaterasu isn't just the sun goddess, she's the sun itself (and in later myths, the universe itself). So I think she would win against a douche like Zeus. And the universe pretty much only exists because Adi Parashakti allows it to. That sort of trumps everything.
Well, Amaterasu isn’t just the sun goddess, she’s the sun itself (and in later myths, the universe itself). So I think she would win against a douche like Zeus. And the universe pretty much only exists because Adi Parashakti allows it to. That sort of trumps everything.
So Zeus calls in his dad Cronus who is also the sun and Cronus smacks Amaterasu around and wins because she is more interested in having relations with a local noble than fighting. Meantime Ocean, Cronus's wife takes on Adi, who has no form anyway and the mighty Greeks win again. To commerate this victory the Greeks get to name the constellations. Western gods triumph over the eastern gods in a two fall match as the pantheon goes wild! Cap't Jack

And the funny thing is, you take this thread, clean up the grammar, throw in some "thee’s, thou’s, and shall’s ", slap a shiny cover on it with gold leaf lettering, and somebody out there would consider it sacred!

Presentation is every thing, ask anyone in the advertising industry. :coolhmm:

So Zeus calls in his dad Cronus who is also the sun and Cronus smacks Amaterasu around and wins because she is more interested in having relations with a local noble than fighting. Meantime Ocean, Cronus's wife takes on Adi, who has no form anyway and the mighty Greeks win again. To commerate this victory the Greeks get to name the constellations. Western gods triumph over the eastern gods in a two fall match as the pantheon goes wild!
Always with the Greek gods. Everybody sure loves those dbags. Do I need to bring the Aztec deities into play?