I never did like low oil prices

And 2015, the hottest ever in recorded weather history …hotter than even the old record breaker, was that way back in 2014?

One thing seems obvious to me. If the price of oil is low enough, (and is not taxed heavily) this insures that the world will continue to rely on it as its primary energy resource. Hence worsening climate change will go on unabated. Thus it is imperative, if one cares at all about future generations, that the true cost of fossil fuels be passed on to the consumers. Also, if the price is low enough, supply will eventually go down (and prices will go up again), unless the costs of extraction go down, even more than they have, with further technological "advancements". Either way, if we want the Earth, as we know it, to survive us, for our descendants sake, fossil fuels must be taxed concomitantly with the environmental damage that they provide. This would probably entail some economic discomforts in the near term but a not too painful changeover to clean energy is within our grasp.
The problem with implementing intelligent policies and rules like you have suggested, is people. There is no greater impediment to doing what is best for everyone and the planet than the very people who you are trying to help. I have coffee with a group of men every Saturday morning. They're all very religious and very conservative minded. They rant and rail about the problems of the day and seem to know what is best, but as soon as I tell them that they might need to cut back or suffer in some way, that's it... no game. Their intellect is overridden by their emotion and a sense of entitlement that far too many first-worlders have. I point out to them the great success of the Scandinavian countries, and although they are jealous of that success, there's no way in hell they would entertain the idea of a sales tax or fuel tax or any other government interference in the 'free market'. I'm considered weak and a fool for wanting more control on the things that obviously need to be controlled. Culture and attitudes need to change, but that's a generational thing (or a panic thing if you REALLY screw things up.) I hope you find a better group of people to have coffee with on Saturday mornings.They're a great group. I'm happy to visit with them. The conversation isn't always religion, so the mood is usually relaxed and fun. And when we do get into a religious topic, I'm outnumbered but not picked-on. That's a good thing, then. Lois