How to handle an existential crisis?

This happened to me in my 30's (46 now). Eventually I came to realize something that made my life worth living. I beat 500+ million sperm to exist so I have to prove to myself why I deserve to exist. btw I wasn't the first to reach the egg. I was number 2. Think about the fact that your mother and father, and all your ancestors had to beat these odds, lest you not exist. It's amazing if you think about all the improbabilities of you not existing, and reflect it to the fact that you are here now. If your father decided for one second to lay a fart before conception, you may have not been born. DON'T LET ALL YOUR IMPROBABILITY GO TO WASTE! If you can't appreciate your odds then tell me why it's all not worth it.
There's nothing magical about being an accident, that is essentially what you are describing. It can also be said that if I had not been born I wouldn't be feeling this right now and I wouldn't be struggling like this. Makes me wonder if life really is a gift, the reasoning behind that thought isn't terribly convincing. I've heard your response before to be honest, but to me it's more like wishful thinking. Not to mention all my hopes and dreams amount to little more than dust. A creature birthed into existence and seeking meaning in a place where none is, with the illusion that an "i" that I know myself as exists. Not to mention the multitude of painful experiences that could happen at any moment, makes me wonder if the joy is worth it. People who do the unspeakable, and diseases that make your last moments a nightmare. It almost seems like a cruel game to me. Put a creature into being and watch him squirm. In such a sea of negatives, how do other people do it? Am I kidding myself? I just don't see how people can be optimistic. There doesn't seem to be much proof for it to me, no matter how much I dig for it. Even the tiniest shred doesn't seem like much. It just makes me question why I stick around, and the list grows shorter each day. My death will be forgotten, my achievements won't last, who am I doing this for? If it's for someone else then what happens when they go? This question was posted a long time ago, so its not my own, but maybe can give you a little perspective. What is the reason for life? There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have make the best of it and stop wasting time trying o find an ultimate meaning beyone our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick.
This happened to me in my 30's (46 now). Eventually I came to realize something that made my life worth living. I beat 500+ million sperm to exist so I have to prove to myself why I deserve to exist. btw I wasn't the first to reach the egg. I was number 2. Think about the fact that your mother and father, and all your ancestors had to beat these odds, lest you not exist. It's amazing if you think about all the improbabilities of you not existing, and reflect it to the fact that you are here now. If your father decided for one second to lay a fart before conception, you may have not been born. DON'T LET ALL YOUR IMPROBABILITY GO TO WASTE! If you can't appreciate your odds then tell me why it's all not worth it.
There's nothing magical about being an accident, that is essentially what you are describing. It can also be said that if I had not been born I wouldn't be feeling this right now and I wouldn't be struggling like this. Makes me wonder if life really is a gift, the reasoning behind that thought isn't terribly convincing. I've heard your response before to be honest, but to me it's more like wishful thinking. Not to mention all my hopes and dreams amount to little more than dust. A creature birthed into existence and seeking meaning in a place where none is, with the illusion that an "i" that I know myself as exists. Not to mention the multitude of painful experiences that could happen at any moment, makes me wonder if the joy is worth it. People who do the unspeakable, and diseases that make your last moments a nightmare. It almost seems like a cruel game to me. Put a creature into being and watch him squirm. In such a sea of negatives, how do other people do it? Am I kidding myself? I just don't see how people can be optimistic. There doesn't seem to be much proof for it to me, no matter how much I dig for it. Even the tiniest shred doesn't seem like much. It just makes me question why I stick around, and the list grows shorter each day. My death will be forgotten, my achievements won't last, who am I doing this for? If it's for someone else then what happens when they go? This question was posted a long time ago, so its not my own, but maybe can give you a little perspective. What is the reason for life? There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have make the best of it and stop wasting time trying o find an ultimate meaning beyone our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Correction: There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have to make the best of it and stop wasting time trying to find an ultimate meaning beyond our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick.
There's nothing magical about being an accident, that is essentially what you are describing. It can also be said that if I had not been born I wouldn't be feeling this right now and I wouldn't be struggling like this. Makes me wonder if life really is a gift, the reasoning behind that thought isn't terribly convincing. I've heard your response before to be honest, but to me it's more like wishful thinking. Not to mention all my hopes and dreams amount to little more than dust. A creature birthed into existence and seeking meaning in a place where none is, with the illusion that an "i" that I know myself as exists. Not to mention the multitude of painful experiences that could happen at any moment, makes me wonder if the joy is worth it. People who do the unspeakable, and diseases that make your last moments a nightmare. It almost seems like a cruel game to me. Put a creature into being and watch him squirm. In such a sea of negatives, how do other people do it? Am I kidding myself? I just don't see how people can be optimistic. There doesn't seem to be much proof for it to me, no matter how much I dig for it. Even the tiniest shred doesn't seem like much. It just makes me question why I stick around, and the list grows shorter each day. My death will be forgotten, my achievements won't last, who am I doing this for? If it's for someone else then what happens when they go? This question was posted a long time ago, so its not my own, but maybe can give you a little perspective. What is the reason for life? There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have make the best of it and stop wasting time trying o find an ultimate meaning beyone our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Correction: There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have to make the best of it and stop wasting time trying to find an ultimate meaning beyond our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Considering that accident means an undesirable result really makes you sound bitter about living at all. I see it as incidences that have lead to our existence. How you decide to view life is up to you, but me personally, I'd choose to see the positives aspects of what life has to offer.
There's nothing magical about being an accident, that is essentially what you are describing. It can also be said that if I had not been born I wouldn't be feeling this right now and I wouldn't be struggling like this. Makes me wonder if life really is a gift, the reasoning behind that thought isn't terribly convincing. I've heard your response before to be honest, but to me it's more like wishful thinking. Not to mention all my hopes and dreams amount to little more than dust. A creature birthed into existence and seeking meaning in a place where none is, with the illusion that an "i" that I know myself as exists. Not to mention the multitude of painful experiences that could happen at any moment, makes me wonder if the joy is worth it. People who do the unspeakable, and diseases that make your last moments a nightmare. It almost seems like a cruel game to me. Put a creature into being and watch him squirm. In such a sea of negatives, how do other people do it? Am I kidding myself? I just don't see how people can be optimistic. There doesn't seem to be much proof for it to me, no matter how much I dig for it. Even the tiniest shred doesn't seem like much. It just makes me question why I stick around, and the list grows shorter each day. My death will be forgotten, my achievements won't last, who am I doing this for? If it's for someone else then what happens when they go? This question was posted a long time ago, so its not my own, but maybe can give you a little perspective. What is the reason for life? There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have make the best of it and stop wasting time trying o find an ultimate meaning beyone our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Correction: There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have to make the best of it and stop wasting time trying to find an ultimate meaning beyond our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Considering that accident means an undesirable result really makes you sound bitter about living at all. I see it as incidences that have lead to our existence. How you decide to view life is up to you, but me personally, I'd choose to see the positives aspects of what life has to offer. It's actually honest, those who choose to see just the positives seem to be deluding themselves in some manner or another. The fact is that there is a lot of bad things in the world, a good deal of it as a result of our actions. I'm not asking for deliberate ignorance, god knows there's no going back to that. Trying to do that is like building a house of cards at the beach. I was fine without god really, not that big a deal. But the realization that the world isn't the good place I thought it was or being open to the great deal of negatives, that's harder to deal with. Makes me wonder how people do it every day. So many problems around the world and not enough solutions.
There's nothing magical about being an accident, that is essentially what you are describing. It can also be said that if I had not been born I wouldn't be feeling this right now and I wouldn't be struggling like this. Makes me wonder if life really is a gift, the reasoning behind that thought isn't terribly convincing. I've heard your response before to be honest, but to me it's more like wishful thinking. Not to mention all my hopes and dreams amount to little more than dust. A creature birthed into existence and seeking meaning in a place where none is, with the illusion that an "i" that I know myself as exists. Not to mention the multitude of painful experiences that could happen at any moment, makes me wonder if the joy is worth it. People who do the unspeakable, and diseases that make your last moments a nightmare. It almost seems like a cruel game to me. Put a creature into being and watch him squirm. In such a sea of negatives, how do other people do it? Am I kidding myself? I just don't see how people can be optimistic. There doesn't seem to be much proof for it to me, no matter how much I dig for it. Even the tiniest shred doesn't seem like much. It just makes me question why I stick around, and the list grows shorter each day. My death will be forgotten, my achievements won't last, who am I doing this for? If it's for someone else then what happens when they go? This question was posted a long time ago, so its not my own, but maybe can give you a little perspective. What is the reason for life? There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have make the best of it and stop wasting time trying o find an ultimate meaning beyone our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Correction: There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have to make the best of it and stop wasting time trying to find an ultimate meaning beyond our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Considering that accident means an undesirable result really makes you sound bitter about living at all. I see it as incidences that have lead to our existence. How you decide to view life is up to you, but me personally, I'd choose to see the positives aspects of what life has to offer. What positives? You've hardly mentioned any.
There's nothing magical about being an accident, that is essentially what you are describing. It can also be said that if I had not been born I wouldn't be feeling this right now and I wouldn't be struggling like this. Makes me wonder if life really is a gift, the reasoning behind that thought isn't terribly convincing. I've heard your response before to be honest, but to me it's more like wishful thinking. Not to mention all my hopes and dreams amount to little more than dust. A creature birthed into existence and seeking meaning in a place where none is, with the illusion that an "i" that I know myself as exists. Not to mention the multitude of painful experiences that could happen at any moment, makes me wonder if the joy is worth it. People who do the unspeakable, and diseases that make your last moments a nightmare. It almost seems like a cruel game to me. Put a creature into being and watch him squirm. In such a sea of negatives, how do other people do it? Am I kidding myself? I just don't see how people can be optimistic. There doesn't seem to be much proof for it to me, no matter how much I dig for it. Even the tiniest shred doesn't seem like much. It just makes me question why I stick around, and the list grows shorter each day. My death will be forgotten, my achievements won't last, who am I doing this for? If it's for someone else then what happens when they go? This question was posted a long time ago, so its not my own, but maybe can give you a little perspective. What is the reason for life? There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have make the best of it and stop wasting time trying o find an ultimate meaning beyone our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Correction: There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have to make the best of it and stop wasting time trying to find an ultimate meaning beyond our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Considering that accident means an undesirable result really makes you sound bitter about living at all. I see it as incidences that have lead to our existence. How you decide to view life is up to you, but me personally, I'd choose to see the positives aspects of what life has to offer. What positives? You've hardly mentioned any. I have a question then, why do you continue to live in spite of that knowledge?
Lois, you seem to be confusing Tita and Ex
I'm not sure it makes any difference.
There's nothing magical about being an accident, that is essentially what you are describing. It can also be said that if I had not been born I wouldn't be feeling this right now and I wouldn't be struggling like this. Makes me wonder if life really is a gift, the reasoning behind that thought isn't terribly convincing. I've heard your response before to be honest, but to me it's more like wishful thinking. Not to mention all my hopes and dreams amount to little more than dust. A creature birthed into existence and seeking meaning in a place where none is, with the illusion that an "i" that I know myself as exists. Not to mention the multitude of painful experiences that could happen at any moment, makes me wonder if the joy is worth it. People who do the unspeakable, and diseases that make your last moments a nightmare. It almost seems like a cruel game to me. Put a creature into being and watch him squirm. In such a sea of negatives, how do other people do it? Am I kidding myself? I just don't see how people can be optimistic. There doesn't seem to be much proof for it to me, no matter how much I dig for it. Even the tiniest shred doesn't seem like much. It just makes me question why I stick around, and the list grows shorter each day. My death will be forgotten, my achievements won't last, who am I doing this for? If it's for someone else then what happens when they go? This question was posted a long time ago, so its not my own, but maybe can give you a little perspective. What is the reason for life? There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have make the best of it and stop wasting time trying o find an ultimate meaning beyone our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Correction: There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have to make the best of it and stop wasting time trying to find an ultimate meaning beyond our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Considering that accident means an undesirable result really makes you sound bitter about living at all. I see it as incidences that have lead to our existence. How you decide to view life is up to you, but me personally, I'd choose to see the positives aspects of what life has to offer. What positives? You've hardly mentioned any. I have a question then, why do you continue to live in spite of that knowledge? What knowledge?
Lois, you seem to be confusing Tita and Ex
I'm not sure it makes any difference. :lol: Now there's the alt left I was looking for. :lol:

I’m saying that the knowledge that we aren’t that special, just another organism on this floating rock.
Additionally what about how living things cause each other suffering? I didn’t think about it too much until now, but it’s pretty evident. From animals in nature to humans, they each causes each other suffering while they exist. It’s hard to make peace with that and not submit to extinction.

I have a friend who has been suffering from Complex Regional Pain Syndrom for about 15 years now. I have no idea how he survives. The guy has been in intense pain for all those years, and has been on perscription opiots for all that time. My mom passed away after suffering from Progressive Supra Nuclear Palsy for 5 years. The last 2 years were really rough for her. I got to see it all since I took care of her till the end. You can’t imagine just how horrible things can get until you get there, so just appreciate the fact that you aren’t dealing with that. If spend your whole life pissing it away on how meaningless life is, then you’ll have a life of regret for all the things you should have done, but instead harped on the nihilistic belief that there is no purpose.

In Dan Barker’s book, Life Driven Purpose, he says asking what the meaning of life is, is a nonsense question, you are asking what is the life of life. He goes in to more detail, but it’s true, if you are looking for something to answer your unanswerable questions, your doing it wrong. If you weren’t alive and conscious, you couldn’t ask the question in the first place. Without us, pain and suffering would continue, galaxies would continue to smash into galaxies.

I have a friend who has been suffering from Complex Regional Pain Syndrom for about 15 years now. I have no idea how he survives. The guy has been in intense pain for all those years, and has been on perscription opiots for all that time. My mom passed away after suffering from Progressive Supra Nuclear Palsy for 5 years. The last 2 years were really rough for her. I got to see it all since I took care of her till the end. You can't imagine just how horrible things can get until you get there, so just appreciate the fact that you aren't dealing with that. If spend your whole life pissing it away on how meaningless life is, then you'll have a life of regret for all the things you should have done, but instead harped on the nihilistic belief that there is no purpose.
Well said, Exmachina. As one of my friends said on FaceBook yesterday regarding the death of a metal friend, "I'd rather feel the pains of losing beauty over never knowing beauty at all." Yes, the universe is trying to kill us and we seem to be helping it along that path. We also live in a very privileged time. We have beauty all around us. We can either appreciate the beauty and wonders we before us or wallow in despair. I prefer enjoying my family and friends, reveling in the wonders of the universe, marveling at the incredible music and art available, and finding joy in life than letting the bad things destroy my life.
In Dan Barker's book, Life Driven Purpose, he says asking what the meaning of life is, is a nonsense question, you are asking what is the life of life. He goes in to more detail, but it's true, if you are looking for something to answer your unanswerable questions, your doing it wrong. If you weren't alive and conscious, you couldn't ask the question in the first place. Without us, pain and suffering would continue, galaxies would continue to smash into galaxies.
True. Pain and suffering would still go on. Some antinatalists say that being conscious is the possibility of pain and that extinction is best for all life. But that just sounds like hubris to me and gives too much importance to our opinions. The universe will act not matter what we do, and it's not our call to say what is best for all. Our thinking and reasoning are flawed and there is much we don't know, it's stupid to make some grand statements like that. So they settle for trying to get people to stop breeding. What puzzles me is that life persists despite all the extinction events of the past, I want to know why. Why do living creatures struggle so hard to live? What is the surivival instinct and why do they have it? There's just too many questions left unanswered. Not to mention we know nothing about nonexistence and less about death. How can we be sure that what comes after isn't worse? We don't know.
There's nothing magical about being an accident, that is essentially what you are describing. It can also be said that if I had not been born I wouldn't be feeling this right now and I wouldn't be struggling like this. Makes me wonder if life really is a gift, the reasoning behind that thought isn't terribly convincing. I've heard your response before to be honest, but to me it's more like wishful thinking. Not to mention all my hopes and dreams amount to little more than dust. A creature birthed into existence and seeking meaning in a place where none is, with the illusion that an "i" that I know myself as exists. Not to mention the multitude of painful experiences that could happen at any moment, makes me wonder if the joy is worth it. People who do the unspeakable, and diseases that make your last moments a nightmare. It almost seems like a cruel game to me. Put a creature into being and watch him squirm. In such a sea of negatives, how do other people do it? Am I kidding myself? I just don't see how people can be optimistic. There doesn't seem to be much proof for it to me, no matter how much I dig for it. Even the tiniest shred doesn't seem like much. It just makes me question why I stick around, and the list grows shorter each day. My death will be forgotten, my achievements won't last, who am I doing this for? If it's for someone else then what happens when they go? This question was posted a long time ago, so its not my own, but maybe can give you a little perspective. What is the reason for life? There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have make the best of it and stop wasting time trying o find an ultimate meaning beyone our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Correction: There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have to make the best of it and stop wasting time trying to find an ultimate meaning beyond our life as we find it. The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living. Take your pick. Considering that accident means an undesirable result really makes you sound bitter about living at all. I see it as incidences that have lead to our existence. How you decide to view life is up to you, but me personally, I'd choose to see the positives aspects of what life has to offer. What positives? You've hardly mentioned any. I have a question then, why do you continue to live in spite of that knowledge? Survival instinct. It's out of my hands.

Surivival instinct doesn’t sound very reassuring

I have a friend who has been suffering from Complex Regional Pain Syndrom for about 15 years now. I have no idea how he survives. The guy has been in intense pain for all those years, and has been on perscription opiots for all that time. My mom passed away after suffering from Progressive Supra Nuclear Palsy for 5 years. The last 2 years were really rough for her. I got to see it all since I took care of her till the end. You can't imagine just how horrible things can get until you get there, so just appreciate the fact that you aren't dealing with that. If spend your whole life pissing it away on how meaningless life is, then you'll have a life of regret for all the things you should have done, but instead harped on the nihilistic belief that there is no purpose.
Purpose is within yourself. If you are assuming it comes from outside yourself you are doomed to a life of misery, like Titan.

It’s not so much purpose, well it might be.
It’s just the realization that to live is to suffer (a la Buddhism). That every living thing that exists visits suffering on another living thing in some way. It makes it hard to reject antinatalism when you learn that. Would it be better if life didn’t exist at all? Then there would be no suffering in existence. Try as I might I can’t find a logical reason for life to continue and that scares me. Scares me that they might be right and that life is just a net negative for all things involved. It makes all the efforts we do to solve our problems seem like window dressing when the only actual solution would seem to be death. Then there would be no struggle and no one to suffer. It’s hard to beat logic like that. Even birthing new people exposes them to the terror of dying, while never being prevents that.
Of course a meaningless universe doesn’t help much in that regard either.

Surivival instinct doesn't sound very reassuring
Reality is seldom reassuring. If you are looking for reassurance you will have to step outside the scientific realm and into unsupported speculation, fantasy.and theistic religion.
Purpose is within yourself. If you are assuming it comes from outside yourself you are doomed to a life of misery, like Titan. Purpose from within isn't purpose and therefor it is meaningless