Hello from Vermont.

I have been a non-believer for at least 7 year now. I was born and raised in a large Catholic family. Not strict, just for show. More tradition than anything. I always had my doubts growing up but I went through the motions anyway. I never met an atheist or non- believer until I was 35 years old and it still took me till I was 45 till I fully stopped believing. Now that I am a full blown atheist. Radical in some accounts. I have never felt freer and unbridled. I have cast the shackles of religion and I am a better person for it.

I have been a non-believer for at least 7 year now. I was born and raised in a large Catholic family. Not strict, just for show. More tradition than anything. I always had my doubts growing up but I went through the motions anyway. I never met an atheist or non- believer until I was 35 years old and it still took me till I was 45 till I fully stopped believing. Now that I am a full blown atheist. Radical in some accounts. I have never felt freer and unbridled. I have cast the shackles of religion and I am a better person for it.
Congratulations and welcome. Most of us have also taken that journey. Do you belong to any freethought organizations?

I joined AHA almost a year ago but that is it. I don’t like to label things, particularly people. But if I was to tag myself it would be as a secular humanist. Interestingly, that is what brought me to the CFI web page and this forum. Someone asked me what does a non believer do for funerals, weddings etc. I did not have a ready answer so I started to look into it. Vermont is the least religious state in the country, with only 22% of the people willing to call themselves "very religious."and yet I was unable to find someone that performs secular services. I came across the CFI Celebrant Certification and am considering pursuing it. I think as non-religious as Vt is that is service I could provide for the non religious community here in Vt.

I joined AHA almost a year ago but that is it. I don't like to label things, particularly people. But if I was to tag myself it would be as a secular humanist. Interestingly, that is what brought me to the CFI web page and this forum. Someone asked me what does a non believer do for funerals, weddings etc. I did not have a ready answer so I started to look into it. Vermont is the least religious state in the country, with only 22% of the people willing to call themselves "very religious."and yet I was unable to find someone that performs secular services. I came across the CFI Celebrant Certification and am considering pursuing it. I think as non-religious as Vt is that is service I could provide for the non religious community here in Vt.
You can become a secular celebrant through the AHA. Go here. http://thehumanistsociety.org/apply/ Many people use Unitarian clergy when no secular celebrant is available. Despite the fact that their organization is considered a church, most are secular and non-religious. Here's one Humanist celebrant in Vermont oneil_matthew.jpg Matthew O’Neil Celebrant Chaplain 133 Lincoln Ave Saint Albans VT 5478 United States 802-363-2089 immattoneil@me.com