Hello from Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (Western Africa)

I am Séduisant TAZ-MBODI, 42 years old, from Central African Republic but I live with my wife and kids in Abidjan Cote d’Ivoire where I’m working as Financial Auditor for an International US nonprofit and human development organization which HQ is based in North Carolina, serving more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. Established in 1971, the organization has long managed in projects relating to family planning and reproductive health. “Science for improving lives” is our catchphrase. I must say also that I’m perfectly bilingual (French/English).

I’m Atheist since 2015 after being a lot of things before. Born and raised in a catholic family, I became Agnostic at age of 18 (end of high shoool), when I started to question lot of things after biology class, chemistry class, physics class, etc. but I was not sure about anything so I opted for Agnostic.

Till 2015, I still was Agnostic till I started to seriously read the “Origins of Species” from Darwin, then visualize some documentaries on “Space” and “Astronomy” (mainly those presented by Carl Sagan). I would have not crossed the line to become definately Atheist if the environment where I live were not so oppressive in terms of involvement in lives privacies (religious organizations, born-again churches telling you what to think, to say and how to act … and when you see the proverty around in Africa with people having religion as “opium for the masses”, that is enough to start hating religion), so I bought 3 Books that made me cross the lines: 1) Traité d’Athéologie from French Philosopher Michel Onfray 2) Christopher Hitchens “God is not Great” 3) Richard Dawkins “The God Delusion”. I always refer to the last one (God Delusion) as similar to Friedrich Nietzsche “Thus Sprach Zarathustra”, kind of Plate Tectonics. There was a before and after Nietzsche. In Atheism, there is a before and after “The God Delusion”.

Actually, I do not define myself as simply Atheist, I do consider myself as Anti-Theist and Humanist.

Since 2015, I was Anti-Theist in private without telling anybody nore being part of Atheists rocking the boat. Now I’ve decided to move on and rock the boat as well because I consider that these times are so dangerous for mankind when I see the ideologies that are spreading (anti-science mentalities, creationism, global warming deniers, etc.) and I do not want my kids to live in a future world where stupidities are the rules. So I started to subscribe to some serious Atheists organizations like Center for Inquiry and rock the boat with others people defining themselves as non-believers, freethinkers, secular, humanists, etc.

I discovered CFI through Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science that I’m following on Facebook and Twitter and I decided to be part of the adventure.

Actually there is no Atheist or Secular Movement in Cote d’Ivoire where I live. The nearest Atheist organization is in Ghana. Hopefully by the time, I will be able to find other persons with whom I can start something in this regard. So, I’m more in touch with Atheists people on Facebook.

I must add also that my wife is still a believer (Protestant) but she is not going to church, still having Faith but keeping it for herself and open-minded to atheist/agnostic arguments but she is not ready to take the next step, we have a good understanding of each other paths and we agree to not let our kids being told religious things till they figure this out themselves and I like to read to them the Richard Dawkins Letter to this 10 year daughter.

I’m glad to me you all, Atheists of the World.

Wishing you all the best,

Séduisant Taz-Mbodi
Twitter: @TMSeduisant
Facebook: Seduisant Taz-Mbodi
WhatsApp: +22589754160
Private mail: stmbodi@gmail.com

Welcome, Seduisant. Many here, have had a long and winding road to becoming agnostic/atheist/humanist at heart.

Thank you TimB.

A very interesting story. Welcome.

Welcome Séduisant. Looking forward to your contributions.

By “contributions”, Lausten did not mean money. He meant posting.

I’ve got it!

Welcome Seduisant,

I was a devout Christian for decades. After years of researching, I now identify as athiest.

Hi Blaire,

Thank you. Glad to read about your experience. It’s always a pleasure to meet people that share Atheist Identity in this planetary ocean of believers.