Frankly, not a very good book

An Atheist Who Believes in God]
I really have not wanted to buy this book, so I’m in luck, he’s offering it for free on Kindle, May 30-31. So far, what I’ve heard of it and from Frank is that his arguments are weak, sometimes totally transparent. If I get enough rainy days this summer, I’m sure I’ll have some comments.

I was checking out some of the other books by the same author, and it seems that he’s just using the word “atheist” to be provokative and draw in more Christian readers.

I was checking out some of the other books by the same author, and it seems that he's just using the word "atheist" to be provokative and draw in more Christian readers.
The title of the book is (one who does not believe in god) who believes in god. That should tip you off. Maybe an atheist should write a book titled, A Theist Who Does not Believe in God Lois

Maybe someone should define ‘atheist’ for him…?

He may have thought there was a space between the first and second letters of that word. :slight_smile:
Occam

Caught between the beauty of his grandchildren and grief over a friend’s death, Frank Schaeffer finds himself simultaneously believing and not believing in God—an atheist who prays. Schaeffer wrestles with faith and disbelief, sharing his innermost thoughts with a lyricism that only great writers of literary nonfiction achieve. Schaeffer writes as an imperfect son, husband and grandfather whose love for his family, art and life trumps the ugly theologies of an angry God and the atheist vision of a cold, meaningless universe. Schaeffer writes that only when we abandon our hunt for certainty do we become free to create beauty, give love and find peace.
Isn't that what theists think when they contemplate a world without god? My take on it is that as I learn more about the actual universe through science it becomes truly meaningful, not part of some fiction that often has entire cultures trying to wipe each other out for not choosing the right god to worship.
I was checking out some of the other books by the same author, and it seems that he's just using the word "atheist" to be provokative and draw in more Christian readers.
The title of the book is (one who does not believe in god) who believes in god. That should tip you off. Maybe an atheist should write a book titled, A Theist Who Does not Believe in God LoisNot gonna happen. That would require lying through one's teeth in deception to please someone who say's not to lie through your teeth in deception. God I wish there was a god and she came down and told these clowns off.
Isn't that what theists think when they contemplate a world without god? My take on it is that as I learn more about the actual universe through science it becomes truly meaningful, not part of some fiction that often has entire cultures trying to wipe each other out for not choosing the right god to worship.
The guy comes from a family of evangelists. That ought to tell us something. I think that most Christians go through a crisis sometime in their lives. It may be a personal loss or it may be a major disaster that kills hundreds of people. They ask Where Was God? Why does He allow things like this to happen? And if they are hurt badly enough, they don't WANT to be in a position to be hurt again. They try to deny their feelings, deny their compassion. And strangely enough they thing THAT is atheism! But of course they can't keep it up very long, and eventually they have a "conversion experience". And that's how we get books like "I used to be an atheist but God healed me..." In the days when I was a member of a Christian forum I once had a conversatin with a fifteen year old who said she "used to be an atheist", something like seven years previously! Did she really mean that at the age of eight she came to the intellectual and philosophical conclusion that her belief in God was not justified? Somehow I don't think so!