Frank Jackson's famous 'Mary's Room' Thought Experiment

[quote=“citizenschallengev4, post:20, topic:10146”]
Mind you, wood burning fire stove is our source of heat, so . . .

I think this fear came before campfires, but during many volcanic eruptions and/or forest fires as part of the evolution of “fight or flight” instinct…

Interestingly, Chimpanzees are not afraid of wild-fires.

Chimps Master First Step in Controlling Fire

By Charles Q. Choi
published December 21, 2009

Chimps remain cool under fire, possessing a near human ability to predict how wildfires spread and react accordingly.

This newfound capability of chimpanzees to understand flames might shed light on when and how our distant ancestors first learned to control fire, scientists now suggest. (About Live Science | Live Science)

Of course, neither explains why a frog would want to be painted red.

The fact that there are red and yellow (both brightly visible) frogs proves that natural selection found that a “dare” in plain sight can offer greater survival potential than camouflage and hiding.

I know and it’s a very pretty red and there could very well be a critter who feed on that frog who is immune from the toxin.

And that is what natural selection sorts out… :face_with_monocle:

What we haven’t been able to do is put a thought in a test tube. At best, we can see different parts of the brain firing up. Most people struggle to tell you where their values come from, or the difference between thoughts and feelings.

I’ve heard of experiments on when the thought of moving your hand occurs vs when the impulse occurs to do the movement, but I don’t completely get it. They say we take actions, or have feelings, then our frontal lobe creates a narrative to describe it, as if we “decided” to do it.

The brain creates “action potentials” in response sensory stimulation.

A perfect example is having to wince as in pain when watching someone hurt them themselves and experiencing the same emotional response, but without the real physical trauma. We call it empathy, but it is a clear example that the brain generates certain responses from observing external events.
It originated of course with the “fight or flight” impulse.