Favorite Quotes

Too know that one is ignorant is the beginning of wisdom.
Dave

And this shall be the last and most ardent of my desires;too see the last king strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
Voltaire?
Dave

And this shall be the last and most ardent of my desires;too see the last king strangled with the entrails of the last priest. Voltaire? Dave
No, Denis Diderot (5 October 1713 – 31 July 1784) a French philosopher and chief editor of the historic project to produce L'Encyclopédie. He said and wrote a few other interesting things. https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Denis_Diderot

Ah, a few things indeed.
Dave

And this shall be the last and most ardent of my desires;too see the last king strangled with the entrails of the last priest. Voltaire? Dave
No, Denis Diderot (5 October 1713 – 31 July 1784) a French philosopher and chief editor of the historic project to produce L'Encyclopédie. He said and wrote a few other interesting things. https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Denis_Diderot I like this one.
Pithy sentences are like sharp nails which force truth upon our memory.

I’m reading “The Tao of the Dude”, about half of it is just pages of quotes. One was something like;
If work itself was such a reward, the rich wouldn’t allow others to do so much of it.

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence; and in this respect ministers of religion follow gospel authority more closely than in some others. -- Bertrand Russell
There's Ecclesiates, but that's sort of an agnostic's soliloquy. Proverbs is coming up in the lectionary next month. It's a bunch of advice given in two liners. The lectionary passage is where it claims wisdom comes from the creator.] Wisdom isn't really intelligence anyway. Intelligence would imply you can think for yourself. Neither or those is in the gospels, either, no need to point that out to me.

What you are speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

“Always remember, others may hate you. But those who hate you don’t win, unless you hate them. And then, you destroy yourself.” --Richard Nixon

Whether [Dorothy Parker] actually joined the Communist Party for a short time remains an unanswered question. Although Hellman claimed she was subpoenaed by HUAC and appeared before the committee, this (like so much else in Hellman’s memoirs) is simply untrue. She was, though, visited by two FBI agents in 1951. When they asked her whether she had ever conspired to overthrow the government, she answered, “Listen, I can’t even get my dog to stay down. Do I look to you like someone who could overthrow the government?" The FBI gave her a pass.
Brilliant, Troubled Dorothy Parker
http://bit.ly/1oYr7eW

“He is the fly in the ointment. Before long he will be needing some ointment in his fly”. Bradley Hardacre of Yorkshire TV’s ‘Brass’.

“Emmanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume
Schopenhauer and Hegel,
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as sloshed as Schlegel.
There’s nothing Nietzsche couldn’t teach ya’
'Bout the raising of the wrist.
SOCRATES, HIMSELF, WAS PERMANENTLY PISSED…
John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
Plato, they say, could stick it away;
Half a crate of whiskey every day.
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
Hobbes was fond of his dram,
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart: “I drink, therefore I am”
Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed;
A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he’s pissed!”
Songwriters
CHAPMAN, GRAHAM / CLEESE, JOHN / GILLIAM, TERRY / IDLE, ERIC / JONES, TERRY / PALIN, MICHAEL EDWARD

“My supper’s on the stove, the war is on the screen,
Pass the bread and butter while I watch the marine,
They shot him in the chest, pass the chicken breast,
The general is saying that he’s still unimpressed,
We had to burn the city 'cause they wouldn’t agree,
That things go better with democracy,
The weather will be fair, forget the ozone layer,
But strontium showers will be here and there”
Prime Time Don McLean - 'Prime Time'. - YouTube
This was written almost 40 years ago when Don McLean had something to say. Its theme seems to be getting ever more true. I am a very keen fan of his work up until the turn of the century, when he became a whinging bore. Presumably he has written a song ‘My problems with record companies’ because he can never stop talking about such issues.