Fascism, A Warning, Terry Gross interviews Madeleine Albright

Yeah, I’ve taken many insults, but in the end, my fears have been well founded.
Because Americans were asleep at the wheel, we couldn’t get our acts together enough to get Al Gore elected.
The cascading consequences of the Bush/Cheney wars of profit, have been every bit as hideous, nationally and globally, as I feared.
Creeping absolutism, totalitarian and hostility mongering.
This last time around, we again couldn’t recognize what a monstrosity the Alt-right oligarch machine was and allowed this maniac to occupy the White House,
as though it were all a Saturday Night Live skit.
Now this election coming up and it seems as if only the kids grasp how important it is to get involved and f’n speak up!

Fascism, A Warning written by Madeleine Albright and Bill Woodward Hardcover, 288 pages
April 3, 2018 Madeleine Albright Warns: Don't Let Fascism Go 'Unnoticed Until It's Too Late' Interviewed on Fresh Air by TERRY GROSS https://www.npr.org/2018/04/03/599120190/madeleine-albright-warns-dont-let-fascism-go-unnoticed-until-its-too-late Some highlights:
On why she wanted to write about fascism Part of the reason for writing [the book] is to say that, in fact, this can happen in countries that have democratic systems, that have a population that's interested in what's going on, that is supportive. ... That's what's so worrisome, is that fascism can come in a way that it is one step at a time, and in many ways, goes unnoticed until it's too late. … … So it's kind of like as though we were seeing the people are getting their information on 21st century technology, but the governments are providing 19th century responses. And so the institutions are not responding to the divisions and the problems that people are having in these countries. And then the other part of this, which I think is essential, is there is some leader at the top who takes advantage of these divisions and, in fact, exacerbates them so that the societies are more and more divided and wrangled and looking for scapegoats, which is where the immigrants come in. But mostly, this is something that's created internally by massive changes in society and some of them, due to technology. … On President Trump's "America First" ideology and criticism of NATO I see it as the most unbelievable step backwards, because I do believe that the United States is stronger when we have friends and allies to deal with the various issues. ... As a European who has spent her life in the United States, I see the Euro-Atlantic alliance as one of the most important bulwarks of our society, so seeing this go on, I find appalling. And what is the issue — again, it's this lack of understanding of what this alliance is about. ... … What Trump is doing is making America seem like a victim. Everything is somebody else's fault: Countries are taking advantage of us. The Mexicans are sending drug dealers. Countries are not paying their dues. The trading system is unfair. And by making Americans seem like victims all the time, it then is able to, again, make the divisions stronger in terms of who is with us, who is not with us, and it's totally anti-American foreign policy. And so I think it's very, very worrisome in terms of this victimhood. I don't see America as a victim. I see America as the most powerful country in the world that has a role to play, standing up for democratic ideals and human rights across the board. On her belief that President Trump is “anti-democratic" What he's trying to do is undermine the press and [he] has disdain for the judiciary, and the electoral process and minorities, and I think that his instincts are not ones that are democratic. He is interested, basically, I think, in exacerbating those divisions that I talked about. ... I've picked up that phrase "see something, say something," and I am seeing some things that are the kinds of things that we have seen in other countries, and so I am saying not only should we say something, but we have to do something about it. ...