Equal pay

Not sure why the link above doesn't work, but if you copy the whole thing (from "http" to "pdf") and do a google search, you'll find it.
Very nice. Rather than ask me to read a 95 page report the obligation is up to you to cite the pertinent passages here that support your comments. I'll wait for you to do the homework. You made the comments. You bear the burden of supporting them. Cite the pages and data in the document that back up what you are claiming
AFAIK, that reverse gender gap in pay, only applies to "unmarried, childless women under 30 who live in cities". And it makes sense, in that young women are generally more college educated than young men, these days.
So up until the age of twenty-nine women make more money than men because they are better educated. Then, when they turn thirty, their employers start to pay them less because...because what? It's not that they "begin to pay them less'" but women are less likely to be promoted and recieve the same kinds of raises as men do. Many women were hired at a lower rate than men and never were able to close the gap. From right out of college to retirement there is a pattern of paying men more for the same work. Men are hired for more money and they are paid higher increases after that. It's a persistent pattern that has resisted many employment and civil rights laws. Lois

George while we are posting supporting evidence here is a recent study comparing gender differences in physician salaries. In this case the numbers are corrected for work hours, productivity, experience and all relevant factors that might influence income other than gender. Even doing so women made significantly less than men.
Gender Differences in the Salaries of Physician Researchers ( http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1182859)

Time to get the unions back?
Hmmm... a Women's Union. It could be rather formidable.
George while we are posting supporting evidence here is a recent study comparing gender differences in physician salaries. In this case the numbers are corrected for work hours, productivity, experience and all relevant factors that might influence income other than gender. Even doing so women made significantly less than men. Gender Differences in the Salaries of Physician Researchers ( http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1182859)
I don't know, maybe men are simply better doctors than women.

Actually, macgyver, did you get to read the whole thing? All they can prove is that male doctors make more than women. The numbers are nowhere close to being corrected for all the factors you have listed. Read the whole thing, it’s a joke.

The biggest problem with the study is the number of participants represented by each sex. There were twice as many women as men. Let’s assume they all overestimated how many hours they work a week. If they all added 10 hours on top of how many hours they actually worked, the roughly 500 female participants as opposed to roughly 250 male participants, will add 130,000 hours per year to their column. That is, 130,000 hours that are a lie. Maybe not a deliberate lie, but a lie nevertheless.

I really do not understand how this is even still legal. It’s clear discrimination. The majority of my supervisors have been women and they can run circles around me.

The aerospace company I worked for when I was very young had the policy of personnel hiring anyone who had a list of publications or degrees (no matter how weak the school) so they could list them on bids for military contracts. My boss decided to put four of these together in one group and put me over it, even though they were all much older and had many more years of work experience. I have to say the woman was dumb as a rock, but that was fine because all three of the guys were equally as dumb as she was. Fortunately, they had a cutback and the woman was laid off just as were all three of the guys. The only good thing about it was that I got to ask each of them their monthly salary and found that they were all very close but well above mine. When I pointed it out to my boss, he was annoyed because that was supposed to be confidential, however, I got a very good raise. :lol:
Occam

Actually, macgyver, did you get to read the whole thing? All they can prove is that male doctors make more than women. The numbers are nowhere close to being corrected for all the factors you have listed. Read the whole thing, it's a joke.
I'm guessing you missed the conclusion and did't bother to read the methods where they go over this. :Conclusion Gender differences in salary exist in this select, homogeneous cohort of mid-career academic physicians, even after adjustment for differences in specialty, institutional characteristics, academic productivity, academic rank, work hours, and other factors."
The biggest problem with the study is the number of participants represented by each sex. There were twice as many women as men. Let's assume they all overestimated how many hours they work a week. If they all added 10 hours on top of how many hours they actually worked, the roughly 500 female participants as opposed to roughly 250 male participants, will add 130,000 hours per year to their column. That is, 130,000 hours that are a lie. Maybe not a deliberate lie, but a lie nevertheless.
This just doesn't even make any sense George
I don't know, maybe men are simply better doctors than women.
And how would that translate into higher pay? They didn't see more patients or publish more papers in this study. By any measure of what a "good doctor" is that would translate into higher pay the two groups were equal. For what its worth, in most studies of patient satisfaction women doctors generally do better than male physicians so there is no way you can support that theory.

I don’t know about doctors in general, but in regards to psychiatrists, I have, consistently, with a rare exception, held the females in much higher esteem than the male psychiatrists I have had contact with.

IIRC, surveys have shown many people prefer female Internists, because they have better bedside manner, and they prefer male surgeons and ER physicians.
As far as Psychiatry goes… it relies less on scientific rigor compared to medicine or surgery, so it would follow that women probably will excel at it.

The fact is that women who are not married and never had a child (IOW, those who choose a career over being a mom, or at least up to the point of becoming a mom) actually make more money than single men. The rest of them simply work less and choose lower-paying jobs. No mystery here. Go take that pill.
Perhaps you would like to back this bold statement up with some actual facts and data. http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/09/01/129581758/
The fact is that women who are not married and never had a child (IOW, those who choose a career over being a mom, or at least up to the point of becoming a mom) actually make more money than single men. The rest of them simply work less and choose lower-paying jobs. No mystery here. Go take that pill.
Perhaps you would like to back this bold statement up with some actual facts and data. http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/09/01/129581758/ The reverse pay gender gap in this one demographic (single, childless and ages 22-30) really says nothing about equal pay for equal work. If you want to make that argument, you would have to show that young college educated women are making more than young college educated men in the same jobs, and that young women who are not college educated but are in jobs such as manufacturing are making more than young non-college educated men in the same jobs. Can you or George show this? Also, you would need to explain how it is fair that being married and having children means women should earn less than men who are married and have children. An obvious answer (for the # of children) would be that women choose to be their children's primary caregivers (and have less time, therefore, to be in the paid workforce). But to what degree are they making this choice, simply because men most often abdicate a role of primary caregiver, thus leaving little actual choice to women? The biological difference argument only goes so far. Women produce milk that is good for developing human babies. But beyond this biologically ordained early developmental role, there is nothing, that I am aware of, that biologically makes men inferior as potential primary caregivers of their children.
You need to join the 21st Century, George. That worldview is outdated.
So which world view is the zeitgeist du jour? Feminism? Thanks, but I'll pass. I think it is you who has a problem and should probably treat it with some testosterone supplements. The fact is that women who are not married and never had a child (IOW, those who choose a career over being a mom, or at least up to the point of becoming a mom) actually make more money than single men. The rest of them simply work less and choose lower-paying jobs. No mystery here. Go take that pill. The bill does not say anything about women who work less or choose lower paying jobs. It demands equal pay for an equal job. If a man and a women have similar qualifications and have equal jobs they should be paid the same. It doesn't matter if the woman has worked less in the past or if other women choose to work less. We are talking about the present jobs that a man and a woman work at. They should get the same wages or salary for an hour's or a week's work. It also shouldn't matter of some women take lower paying jobs. We are talking about two equal jobs, for the same amount of work, one being held by a man and one by a woman in the same company. Nothing else matters. It also doesn't mean that women shouldn't earn less than men overall if there are differrences in their work patterns or hours. We are talking about equal pay for equal work. Nothing more. So a woman who is working as a clerk in a store, for example, gets the same pay as a man who holds the same job and works an equal number of hours--and should get the same shot at overtime, raises and promotions. It doesn't mean that every woman is guaranteed to be paid the same as a every man if they aren't doing the same job for the same number of hours for the same company. Unfortunately, many women have been paid less than men doing the same job for the same number of hours. That is what is being addressed. Lois

Why should we get paid the same? In our studio the younger girls make as much as I used to when I was their age. Women my age, however, who have young children, have a very difficult time to stay late or work on the weekends. Why should my boss pay them as much as she pays me since they work less? And the reason why I can work more is because my wife works less (and makes less money than I do) and takes care of our children. Anything else, and you get communism.

Another think worth thinking about is why self-employed women make less than self-employed men. Are they punishing themselves for being women like white people punish themselves for being white? :slight_smile:

Why should we get paid the same? In our studio the younger girls make as much as I used to when I was their age. Women my age, however, who have young children, have a very difficult time to stay late or work on the weekends. Why should my boss pay them as much as she pays me since they work less? And the reason why I can work more is because my wife works less (and makes less money than I do) and takes care of our children. Anything else, and you get communism.
If an employer pays employees fairly, you don't get (ooooh scary) communism, you get a form of capitalism in which the employees are not exploited. If women were paid equitably, maybe the men could work less (in the public workforce) and take care of their children.